• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson/Styleforum/Thurston Bros slim fit Japanese double rider MTO

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know why this keeps coming up, this (prototype) is the exact fit the Junya's had, with the same leather. Thurston's said that a few times now. The sizing is different in nomenclature only (ex: the "L" prototype would've been an "XL" under the Junya)

While vanson has readily accessible numbers for their japan slim-fit, I can guarantee thurston was not able to ask for the measurements used for junya as to not have IP conflict.

It's the same cut as the Junya leather. Take a second look at the shoulders on that, quite wide.

The shoulders are the same, but the body is much more tapered and the arms are skinnier. I'll just keep my mouth shut for now until we get more fit pics

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Can we get the next prototype in an S size so we know how it's gonna scale for smaller people? And a look at it on a smaller dude?
It's the same cut as the Junya leather. Take a second look at the shoulders on that, quite wide.

Mike is a size 38 too so much closer to the xs-s crowd (prob M in Junya).

Easymoney

Reaction score
Definitely not in love with the trucker style back of the jacket. If you wanted to and a belt and loops, can you get rid of the banded hem at the bottom?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While vanson has readily accessible numbers for their japan slim-fit, I can guarantee thurston was not able to ask for the measurements used for junya as to not have IP conflict.
The shoulders are the same, but the body is much more tapered and the arms are skinnier. I'll just keep my mouth shut for now until we get more fit pics
You are wrong on all counts. We could have the same body, but had to change the details. This was discussed earlier in the thread. All we've done is change the details and transposed the sizing convention.

The fit right now is exactly the fit of the Junya jackets. It's a good fit, but like someone posted before, it's not like it's the absolutely best fit possible, and we can make it better with a slight tweak that would make it just slightly slimmer through the shoulders.

tldr? This is exactly the same fit as the Junya.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As is, the pit-to-pit on size M will be 21.75.  As is, the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 19.25. 

As is, the pit-to-pit on size S is 20.75.  As is, the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 18.75.

If we change it, the pit-to-pit on the size M will be 21.75 and the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 18.25.

If we change it, the pit-to-pit on the size S will be 20.75 and the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 17.75.

If we bring the shoulders in, the shoulders won't be too small for people, but the jacket will have a slightly different upper back shape from the Junya jackets...

Thanks.
Indeed a size S should be more like a 18" shoulder at most. 17.75 sounds good.
!luc

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a quick comment: going by these measurements, this does not look like a slim-fit jacket.

If I'm not mistaken, a size M normally corresponds to a 2x48cm chest, or just under 2x19". That means a LOT of extra room if a Medium corresponds with 21.75

a 19" p2p in size M is more like a fitted t shirt.
Also, 2x the p2p measurement is not what your chest circumference should be. You have to take measurements on your existing garnments to make a valid comparison.
!luc

rbnman

Reaction score
As is, the pit-to-pit on size M will be 21.75. As is, the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 19.25.

As is, the pit-to-pit on size S is 20.75. As is, the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 18.75.

If we change it, the pit-to-pit on the size M will be 21.75 and the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 18.25.

If we change it, the pit-to-pit on the size S will be 20.75 and the shoulder-to-shoulder will be 17.75.

If we bring the shoulders in, the shoulders won't be too small for people, but the jacket will have a slightly different upper back shape from the Junya jackets...

Thanks for this. I like the revised measurements! Would love it even more if sz M p2p = 21.5" and shoulder2shoulder = 18"

To confirm, is the shoulder measurement being measured from the front of back?
For sz S and M, what are the waist measurements?

Last edited:

kmert

Reaction score
a 19" p2p in size M is more like a fitted t shirt.
Also, 2x the p2p measurement is not what your chest circumference should be. You have to take measurements on your existing garnments to make a valid comparison.
!luc
I'm not saying a sz M of this jacket should have 19" ptp. I was just trying to point out that the size M 2.75 (21.75-19) difference will give a lot of extra room for true size M guys if they expect a "slim fit" leather jacket. I would expect such jacket to have 20.5 ptp at most, and a little under 20" hem width for a sz M. But I understood from previous posts that we will need to size down 1, so if I'm a true M then I should take S for this jacket.

And off course I'm going by my chest circumference when choosing a jacket based on ptp, what else should I do, is there another magical formula that I'm unaware of?

DividedWay

Reaction score
Just remember what happened to people who ordered TOJ and don't listen to Charly and kept slimming and slimming and slimming and then they got it and it looked horrible. Leather is thick and tough and if you size it like it to barely fit around your chest it won't be wearable.

rbnman

Reaction score
Just remember what happened to people who ordered TOJ and don't listen to Charly and kept slimming and slimming and slimming and then they got it and it looked horrible. Leather is thick and tough and if you size it like it to barely fit around your chest it won't be wearable.
Completely agree and i'm talking from experience. The revised S and M's are good. More fit pics please. Side profile plus I want to see a better pic of what collar looks like. I prefer not to assume that its a 'junya' collar.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, let's stick with the proposed revision which shortens the sleeves and reduces the shoulder width.
!luc

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
I'm sorry to chime in with a useless comment, but this thread is hilarious.

Once any company offers to do a group buy/custom style everyone all of a sudden becomes highly skilled patternmakers and designers who can spot a shoulder seam 1/8" out of spec from a lo-res .jpg. I feel sorry for Thurston, they meant well, but dealing with people who think they know better than the people who are actually making the patterns and constructing the pieces are a designers (and eventually their own) worst enemy. These people are better at their job than you all are, I can guarantee it. Otherwise you all could buy your own leather and make it yourself. I have lots of contacts for leather suppliers if anyone wants them.

Let the Designing-By-Committee continue.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry to chime in with a useless comment, but this thread is hilarious.

Once any company offers to do a group buy/custom style everyone all of a sudden becomes highly skilled patternmakers and designers who can spot a shoulder seam 1/8" out of spec from a lo-res .jpg. I feel sorry for Thurston, they meant well, but dealing with people who think they know better than the people who are actually making the patterns and constructing the pieces are a designers (and eventually their own) worst enemy. These people are better at their job than you all are, I can guarantee it. Otherwise you all could buy your own leather and make it yourself. I have lots of contacts for leather suppliers if anyone wants them.

Let the Designing-By-Committee continue.

I appreciate the input, but the truth is that we are taking a well liked cut, and adjusting it slightly to account for the well documented fit issues. And, it has customization options, and costs about 1/4 of the designer version.

@Thurston Bros is extremely experienced in leather, and I have experience and a decent track record working on projects like this.

So, be happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads