• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Valstar leather jackets vs. Pricier Luxury Brands

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Want a suede bomber-style jacket. Style and aesthetics aside, how do materials and make stack-up when comparing Valstar to:

1. French Leather Jacket Makers

- Seraphin
- Chapal

2. High-end Luxury Brands

- Loro Piana
- Brunello Cucinelli
- Hermes

If I save money and buy a Valstar, will I then look at a jacket from one of the above and think it is rustic / unrefined in comparison? Will the leather be less nice?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want a suede bomber-style jacket. Style and aesthetics aside, how do materials and make stack-up when comparing Valstar to:

1. French Leather Jacket Makers

- Seraphin
- Chapal

2. High-end Luxury Brands

- Loro Piana
- Brunello Cucinelli
- Hermes

If I save money and buy a Valstar, will I then look at a jacket from one of the above and think it is rustic / unrefined in comparison? Will the leather be less nice?
Timely...

Someone was just on here a couple of days ago complaining about the Valstar quality.
Sleeves ripping or something like that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Timely...

Someone was just on here a couple of days ago complaining about the Valstar quality.
Sleeves ripping or something like that.

Every brand has issues like this—question is if it is a consistent problem.

Please try to buy a Hermes jacket. Maybe you can get it in green . . .

I was just at the Madison Avenue shop. They tried to convince me I should feel lucky to buy a $10K Sac a Depeches in a color I don’t even want.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please try to buy a Hermes jacket. Maybe you can get it in green . . .
Doesn’t seraphin make for hermes?

I have 2 Zegna suedes, and a seraphin leather (and a rlpl suede shearling & Kiton rabbit lined leather jacket, for good measure). I’m happy with all of them, except the seraphin seems to have shrunk in the closet during Covid.

I like them all - no issues & very pleased.

I’m curious about rifugio & valstar as well.I’d like to try a bespoke leather jacket to replace my seraphin

PerfectSkin

Reaction score
You know there is a bespoke leather maker in NYC? Carla Dawn Behrle. I work with clients from all over the world. Lots of Jacket, Pants Suits all kinds of outerwear including shearling. I happen to on here trying to figure out how to contact the admins and so far am at a loss!

PSNY

Reaction score
I have a Valstar and also a few pieces from Loro, Brunello, and Eleventy. There is no real discernible difference. Valstar is not cheap, they use high quality materials, buttons, zippers, and the garments are well made. They likely source leather from the CITES approved sources as their peers. I purchased the Valstar two sided jacket from Permanent Style a few years ago. One side is suede and the Loro Piana storm shield. If it rains turn it inside out and it doesn't get wet. Great buy IMO.

haloitsme

Reaction score
@TheFoo you can always look to Hettabretz for jackets. High quaililty, but not cheap.

Rifugio is famous for light leather jacket, everything else is ok, not outstanding but ok.

So it depends what model you like and what material and how much you want to spend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads