• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US vs UK vs North Europe, careers and education

OJKD

Reaction score
Not trying to start a flame war. I am just interested in the facts. Currently studying BA. Planning to take my third year(European batchelor degrees are tree years) abroad, not sure where yet. Also planning on taking my masters degree abroad. Doing good, acing most classes so far, so I am hoping to be able to pick whatever schools I´d like. Having looked around in the threads here, it seems like those who have a MA and work in the US are getting $25/hr. How does this compare to UK?

I`d really like to leave this frozen hellhole (yes, I live in Norway). On the other hand, with a MA-degree I am looking at $90 000/yr without any long days, just plain and simple 8-4. Of course, living costs here are much higher, but still. That´s the situation career wise at least.

On the matter of education, I am just as uncertain as to what I should do. Planning on majoring in something finance-related (VC, PE, IB, CR)

At the moment, I am studying at a UC, it is however the best in it´s field, industrial economics. There is now a shortlist for plans.

3. yr:

UC Berkely
Penn State Hazelton
Uni. of Durham

MA:
St. Gallen
CASS
LBS
Not sure about the US schools yet.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I am sure I will like it regardless of where I end up, but if US means 100 hr weeks with a ****** salary, and staying means 40 h weeks and a decent salary, I´ll survive the cold.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've never been to another place for an extended period of time it's difficult to be certain that it's better than where you are now. Also, a lot of place in the US are cold (some as cold as Norway, some not).

It's really hard to say how much you'll earn in the US regardless of the degree. There are plenty of people with MAs that are barely paying rent.

Also, just getting good grades doesn't mean you'll get into the schools you want, especially in the US.

Does your university have exchange agreements with the US schools you listed?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Just to be clear......in Norway, with a MA degree, you can make $90,000 a year and only work 8-4 every day? Are you kidding me? Come here to check out America and get your schooling done, and then move the hell back to Norway.

imschatz

Reaction score

Just to be clear......in Norway, with a MA degree, you can make $90,000 a year and only work 8-4 every day? Are you kidding me? Come here to check out America and get your schooling done, and then move the hell back to Norway.
This seems overly optimistic.

I know several people in Norway, with Master's degree's (in Economics from an Average Canadian University - with an academic rating similar to Stockholm) .. all of which have thought of returning to Canada. One of which is a Norway first-nations (from way up north?) and she has some serious privileges in the work place.

And you definitely won't earn $90k a year out of school here. Engineers here might make 6 figures out of school, but those are the guys who are headhunted during their 2nd year of Engineering undergrad. Everyone else is looking at maybe $50k a year starting (if you're lucky).

OJKD

Reaction score

Yes, that is what I have been offered in the firms I´ve interned in.
If you've never been to another place for an extended period of time it's difficult to be certain that it's better than where you are now. Also, a lot of place in the US are cold (some as cold as Norway, some not).
It's really hard to say how much you'll earn in the US regardless of the degree. There are plenty of people with MAs that are barely paying rent.
Also, just getting good grades doesn't mean you'll get into the schools you want, especially in the US.
Does your university have exchange agreements with the US schools you listed?
Thus the thread. I know some of places is the US are cold as well, but not nearly as many. Anyways, I´d like to live in a bigger city too. That excludes Norway.

I am fairly certain I´ll get in in most schools. Served in the military, I have board-experience, teaching experience, 6 yrs in the Red Cross, 4 of those as squad-leader, and some experience as head of operations. I´ve also had internships.

OJKD

Reaction score
Will be double post, but waiting for mods takes forever sometimes.

@why: I am aware that it takes more than grades, but thanks for the heads up. I believe I am competent enough to get in, I do more than studying.

@FLMountainMan: Yes, I´ve been offered $90 000 in one of the firms I´ve interned in.

EDIT: Yes, my school has exchange programs with the listed schools.

Last edited:

imschatz

Reaction score
So .. Norway is a really expensive place to live. Way more expensive then I would have guessed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity#OECD_comparative_price_levels

A $90,000 USD salary in Norway, is comparable to $54,000 USD salary in the US (on average), and $71,000 salary in Canada.

With one year experience I earn a wage comparable to that in Canada, with an MA in Economics.

That is .. assuming you haven't already taken Purchasing Power into your $90k/year figure.

OJKD

Reaction score
So .. Norway is a really expensive place to live. Way more expensive then I would have guessed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity#OECD_comparative_price_levels
A $90,000 USD salary in Norway, is comparable to $54,000 USD salary in the US (on average), and $71,000 salary in Canada.
With one year experience I earn a wage comparable to that in Canada, with an MA in Economics.
That is .. assuming you haven't already taken Purchasing Power into your $90k/year figure.

True that. No, I haven´t taken purchasing power into consideration. It seems like the salaries are slightly lower in US then. No biggie, I won´t take a job offer in the US unless it´s a good one, so for the sake of discussion, lets say they are the same. Are taxes taken into consideration here? With $90K salaries, you´re looking at 50% tax in Norway.

I´ve heard that there is really long hours and poor labour-law. How do these compare? Working hrs is 37,5 hrs/week. Every hr more than this is usually +50% overtime, weekends is 100%. Max 300 hrs/yr.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your math may be right on (if you factored US locl taxes and health insurance and cost of US education), but what about life? How willing are you to exchange your freedom for 10-20% increase in purchasing power?
Please come to US and try to live there for a few years, you might change your opinion about Norway rather quickly. I have been there myself until I tried.

Last edited:

crispeta

Reaction score
In your case, especially since you are an economist and probably know how do conduct research ;), I would not necessarily rely on an internet forum - especially when it comes to topics like work environment and salary. Perspectives will vary a lot from one person to another based on upbringing, experience, and background. I have lived and worked on several continents and can tell you that traveling (a lot) or studying a semester abroad does not provide a person with an international outlook.

Your reasoning seems to be triggered by your being fed up with cold winter time, rather than a clear objective and structured argument. I would suggest that you go on vacation and try to study abroad as planned in your 3rd year. Then also create a more meaningful list of parameters than just work hours (that vary by job/employer/department) and salary. What about vacation days?. Social security? Job security? Social contacts - meaning of friendships (trust me, Americans have a very different "concept" compared to Europeans)? Etc.

Side note: Wouldn't LSE be preferable over LBS for anything non-MBA?
Out of the three 3rd-y options, definitely pick Berkeley from a brand standpoint.

OJKD

Reaction score
In your case, especially since you are an economist and probably know how do conduct research
wink.gif
, I would not necessarily rely on an internet forum - especially when it comes to topics like work environment and salary. Perspectives will vary a lot from one person to another based on upbringing, experience, and background. I have lived and worked on several continents and can tell you that traveling (a lot) or studying a semester abroad does not provide a person with an international outlook.
Your reasoning seems to be triggered by your being fed up with cold winter time, rather than a clear objective and structured argument. I would suggest that you go on vacation and try to study abroad as planned in your 3rd year. Then also create a more meaningful list of parameters than just work hours (that vary by job/employer/department) and salary. What about vacation days?. Social security? Job security? Social contacts - meaning of friendships (trust me, Americans have a very different "concept" compared to Europeans)? Etc.
Side note: Wouldn't LSE be preferable over LBS for anything non-MBA?
Out of the three 3rd-y options, definitely pick Berkeley from a brand standpoint.

Thank you for a smart reply. Cold winter time is just something scandinavians use as an excuse. It´s rather the wish for change. As you say, there are a lot of variables to take into consideration. Most people would benefit from staying in Norway, it is much easier to maintain a high living standard here. On the other hand, it is nearly impossible to get stinking-filthy rich in Norway. It does however, after some research (yes, other than internet-forums ;-)) seem like I would benefit the most from working a couple of years in Norway.

Berkeley is my first choice as well. LSE might be as good as LBS, not sure. It is also a matter fees. Ivy-schools, such as Stanford, adds up to almost $200 000/yr for non-US citizens. That

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Being American is about kicking ass. The numbers don't tell that story.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm moving to Norway then....for the hours

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads