• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unofficial Detroit Thread

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is awesome! Thanks for including me.

We moved to the Grand Rapids area this summer but my office is still in Bloomfield Hills. I’m out that way a couple of days a month for meetings.

I already miss all of the Detroit area shops. I would drive out to Today every other month to see what new items they brought in. The only shop I’ve been to out this way (so far) that’s worth revisiting is AK Rikks. They’re about a quarter mile down the street. I’ve bought from them before online but in store is a much better experience.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Super stoked to see this thread take off as it has -- looks like we're in good company.

Today has always had an incredible brand roster. Great staff as well.

I'm glad someone else mentioned AK Rikks -- arguably the best CM store in the state. I did my last semester of law school in Grand Rapids, and frequently dropped in before class. In the past, they've hosted Ambrosi, as well as Eidos when it was still an Antonio Ciongoli production. It's been a while, but I seem to recall some very very very good sales as well. Glad to see they've expanded to eCommerce.

Lastly, I would urge anyone with any interest to check out Claymore. They've grown leaps and bounds since Kurtis took over last year, carrying 100 hands, Baudoin & Lange, and still carrying Drakes, Fox, and Alden. I would, however, love to see them expand their brand roster to those brands targeted moreso towards the 24-45 year old demographic -- hoping maybe once the Hudson is done they'd consider a small shop downtown. I'll pop in and snag some pics to post sometime in the next month.

bullethead

Reaction score
No idea there was a 100 hands trunk show at Claymore. I’m right down the street. Born here, lived in nyc for 20, back here for 8. Would definitely show up for traveling tailors/shitmakers

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the only way to go downhill here in Detroit!

Another Bloomfieldian in the house! (Ithink I may have just coined that term). We’ve got at least one more Bloomfieldian in @greekgeek and that @PhilKenSebben guy is a West Bloomfieldian, for whatever that’s worth…

I believe @CPAJay1221 is also here in Metro Detroit.

And I’ll third the recommendation of Today Clothing. Awesome shop with a great selection. I don’t go to Ann Arbor as often as I used to but I’m usually out there for an Econ conference once each fall and once each spring and always try to make it into Today when I am in town. I’m never disappointed in their selection and am always glad to see the store still alive and kicking. I never leave there empty handed.

Sounds like an enlarged meat up is in order! I am originally from NEO but yeah, SE Michigan has really grown on me these past years. Different feel than OH and IN, despite the close proximity. The Bloomfieldian bubble is not so bad a place to spend some time.

Still, it's exhausting to explain to everyone back home that Detroit's "really not that bad!, Honest!"

Also, all of us in this thread that claim Detroit:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lastly, I would urge anyone with any interest to check out Claymore. They've grown leaps and bounds since Kurtis took over last year, carrying 100 hands, Baudoin & Lange, and still carrying Drakes, Fox, and Alden. I would, however, love to see them expand their brand roster to those brands targeted moreso towards the 24-45 year old demographic -- hoping maybe once the Hudson is done they'd consider a small shop downtown. I'll pop in and snag some pics to post sometime in the next month.

I noticed that Claymore also began carrying a small selection of stuff from Rowing Blazers (mostly rugby shirts and some sweaters) and last time I was in there, Kurtis recognized the belt I was wearing from Wythe and said he’s planning to start carrying some stuff from his collection this spring.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Does anyone have a reliable shoe repair service they could recommend? I was using Tiger Shoe Repair in Birmingham, but they sadly closed during the pandemic (Sebastian was a great guy).

I am tempted to go to Cobbler's Corner in Northville to have my Belgians re-topy'd, but I figured I'd check here first. The guy at Cobbler's Corner told me over the phone that he's never worked on a pair of Belgians, but I definitely recall them providing great service ten or so years back -- just too far to visit regularly.

bullethead

Reaction score
Does anyone have a reliable shoe repair service they could recommend? I was using Tiger Shoe Repair in Birmingham, but they sadly closed during the pandemic (Sebastian was a great guy).

I am tempted to go to Cobbler's Corner in Northville to have my Belgians re-topy'd, but I figured I'd check here first. The guy at Cobbler's Corner told me over the phone that he's never worked on a pair of Belgians, but I definitely recall them providing great service ten or so years back -- just too far to visit regularly.
Sebastian may start working part time in a friends store-maybe Dearborn? He came by and put some heel protectors on some shoes though iirc he doesn’t have all of his equipment any longer. I’ve used Clawson shoe repair for some basic things. So far, so good I haven’t used them for any bigger jobs on expensive shoes

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only Eastsider? Grosse Pointe used to have a few excellent places (Hickey’s, Jacobson’s, Carl Sterr).

I was going to mention Carl Sterr - his son carried on the storefront in Birmingham and it seems to be going well. I first started going in there about 15 years ago and have found some gems over the years. I know they've gone through some changes and no longer carry a lot of the trad brands that they used to have but there are still some good finds in there on occasion. Generally though, most of the stuff he carries is a bit more contemporary (in styling) than what you'd find somewhere like Claymore, and I know that's not everybody's cup of tea. I still go in there fairly frequently though as it's right next to my barbershop and I enjoy just chatting with Carl when he's around. FWIW, the store is now known as Sterr & Doon.

I'd also be interested in other recommendations. Tiger Shoe Repair was my go to place as well.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was going to mention Carl Sterr - his son carried on the storefront in Birmingham and it seems to be going well. I first started going in there about 15 years ago and have found some gems over the years. I know they've gone through some changes and no longer carry a lot of the trad brands that they used to have but there are still some good finds in there on occasion. Generally though, most of the stuff he carries is a bit more contemporary (in styling) than what you'd find somewhere like Claymore, and I know that's not everybody's cup of tea. I still go in there fairly frequently though as it's right next to my barbershop and I enjoy just chatting with Carl when he's around. FWIW, the store is now known as Sterr & Doon.

I'd also be interested in other recommendations. Tiger Shoe Repair was my go to place as well.
I have been meaning to try out Sam's shoe service in Southfield for awhile now. I stopped in one time to check it out, nice store although his new shoes are not to my taste, Magnanni IIRC. Will report back.

Edit: nope, it was Mezlan.

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been meaning to try out Sam's shoe service in Southfield for awhile now. I stopped in one time to check it out, nice store although his new shoes are not to my taste, Magnanni IIRC. Will report back.

Edit: nope, it was Mezlan.
I used to go to Tony in Rochester Hills. He closed last year and I’ve since started using Sams. They sell Saphir products so I had stopped in a few times to pick some up in the past. He has done a really nice job on my EG and CJ shoes and Lobb loafers. Because of that I trust him. Service is really quick too. They were ready to go in two days. Looked almost brand new.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to go to Tony in Rochester Hills. He closed last year and I’ve since started using Sams. They sell Saphir products so I had stopped in a few times to pick some up in the past. He has done a really nice job on my EG and CJ shoes and Lobb loafers. Because of that I trust him. Service is really quick too. They were ready to go in two days. Looked almost brand new.

Good to know. Did you have your shoes resoled and if not, what did you have done?

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Did you have your shoes resoled and if not, what did you have done?
I just had them cleaned up and polished. I do have a pair that is getting close to needing a resole though. I’m hesitant to take them to someplace new out here in GR so I’ll probably take them to Sam later this winter.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, I picked up of the reno creme from him. I have one pair to completely refurbish, will take some before and after pics.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr. Dylan Sebastian