• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

etostano

Reaction score
Thanks Alan. Appreciate the input. Very useful. Any willingness to share the price per meter? I find that rather surprising, especially if you're comparing to Crispaire. I've not inquired, but I've always found Harrison's to be relatively reasonable price wise, save for the silk blend types, which tend to run on the pricier side of thing.
Probably depends a lot on region - E.g. Harrisons US importer is notorious for their huge markup. Ordering through my tailor in NY, H&S is definitely more reasonable in general, though I don't have anything from the particular books being compared now.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alan. Appreciate the input. Very useful. Any willingness to share the price per meter? I find that rather surprising, especially if you're comparing to Crispaire. I've not inquired, but I've always found Harrison's to be relatively reasonable price wise, save for the silk blend types, which tend to run on the pricier side of thing.

Hi Eric,

You'll have to spring 180 GBP per meter for Springram whereas Smith's Finmeresco is priced at 129 GBP per meter. I procured H&S Crispaire from the H&S distributor in Napoli for 100 Euros per meter. I have to say on closer inspection, the Springram has far deeper motling than either Finmeresco or Crispaire (if thats what you prefer). It is also visibly more porous, in fact very porous. So it appears despite its 12/13oz indicated weight, it might wear cool.

However, its is quite a bit rougher to the touch and I'm now leaning more toward comfort following a failed experiment with H&S 10oz 30% Mohair/70% Wool blend suiting. The damn thing wears like sandpaper.

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Todays S/C feature: Hacking coat made from vintage VBC tweed in a houndstooth pattern. Cloth was sourced for "mystery cloth dealer in Napoli". I'd reckon cloth is about 13/14oz and very tweedy. It has a cream base with blue/olive houndstooth patterns. Cloth generally holds its shape and time will tell how well it holds up.

I had the coat cut as a "contemporarized" hacking coat. Fit is very lean and close to the body with inspiration drawn from a tradition Huntsman Saville Row coat (sans the signature one button closure). Enjoy the clip ....

Alan Bee

bamboo

Reaction score
Spring Ram starts at 12 oz. Up to 17 oz., I think.

Perfect for a January in Maine.

Grab the 8/9's from the Minnis Fresco II book while you can--Fresco a person can actually wear in warm weather.

How about Fresco lite from Fresco III book? I have not made from either, but judging from cut length cloth, Fresco Lite looks quite good.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Fresco lite from Fresco III book? I have not made from either, but judging from cut length cloth, Fresco Lite looks quite good.
I have a pair of trousers in Fresco Lite from the Fresco III book. While I like them, they are very flat in color/ texture. If you are looking for mottling or like the texture of traditional Fresco, you will be disappointed.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

You'll have to spring 180 GBP per meter for Springram whereas Smith's Finmeresco is priced at 129 GBP per meter. I procured H&S Crispaire from the H&S distributor in Napoli for 100 Euros per meter. I have to say on closer inspection, the Springram has far deeper motling than either Finmeresco or Crispaire (if thats what you prefer). It is also visibly more porous, in fact very porous. So it appears despite its 12/13oz indicated weight, it might wear cool.

However, its is quite a bit rougher to the touch and I'm now leaning more toward comfort following a failed experiment with H&S 10oz 30% Mohair/70% Wool blend suiting. The damn thing wears like sandpaper.

Alan Bee
Alan,

I have been critical of you and your videos in the past. The above post is helpful and perhaps the most on topic information you have contributed to this thread. Thank you. Please post more of this type of content and far, far fewer videos ("far, far" in this context means none preferably)

bamboo

Reaction score
I have a pair of trousers in Fresco Lite from the Fresco III book. While I like them, they are very flat in color/ texture. If you are looking for mottling or like the texture of traditional Fresco, you will be disappointed.

I can imagine. When I looked at the bunch it looked smoother and lighter version of Fresco, but when I saw the cut length I had to confirm that it was indeed from Fresco book not from other worsted book.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

Alan Bee
Yowzers! You're based in the UAE, correct? Have to assume there's an intense markup, as that figure would blow any Harrison's fabric I've been quoted out of the water.
Not a fan of mohair? I think, generally speaking, the 70/30 wool/mohair blend might be my favorite fabric out there.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yowzers! You're based in the UAE, correct? Have to assume there's an intense markup, as that figure would blow any Harrison's fabric I've been quoted out of the water.
Not a fan of mohair? I think, generally speaking, the 70/30 wool/mohair blend might be my favorite fabric out there.

So Eric, let me turn this around and ask how much you've paid in the recent past for Harrisons fabrics? Any would do just for comps.

Alan

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that the 10oz 70/30 and 9.5oz 75/25 from H&S are so different from each other is astonishing.

Etostano, Seriously, the 10oz H&S 70/30 wears like a wire gauze. Or maybe I just have sensitive skin. The things holds a trouser crease like a butchers knife though.

Alan

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Todays S/C feature: Hacking coat made from vintage VBC tweed in a houndstooth pattern. Cloth was sourced for "mystery cloth dealer in Napoli". I'd reckon cloth is about 13/14oz and very tweedy. It has a cream base with blue/olive houndstooth patterns. Cloth generally holds its shape and time will tell how well it holds up.

I had the coat cut as a "contemporarized" hacking coat. Fit is very lean and close to the body with inspiration drawn from a tradition Huntsman Saville Row coat (sans the signature one button closure). Enjoy the clip ....

Alan Bee

Nice jacket, but never been a fan of Italian ticket pockets.

Simon A

Reaction score
Hi Eric,

Alan Bee

Spring Ram is made from Cheviot fleeces from northern England and the Scottish Borders. Cheviot are a strongwool breed producing high fibre diameter fleeces (27-33 micron) with a long staple. Fabrics made from such fleeces tend to be springy, hold a good crease, and resist tearing, abrasion or puncturing, but they aren't very soft. It is fibres of over 30 micron that create the sensation of prickle on human skin. It's not common to see a 100% Cheviot worsted. Most worsteds will feature Merino fleece as a large proportion of the blend, which depending on what is selected and how fibres are processed, may result in a softer handle. Developing a fabric that holds its shape and a crease well, allows air movement through the weave, and is still soft in the hand is quite an art.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads