• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Marsay

Reaction score
I'm increasingly won over to the view that almost anything can look anachronistic when styled badly. And vice versa. In this case, I find cream flannel quite versatile. What does it not go with other than cream flannel odd jackets? (The only people I know who own said item wear them with the dark and light blue trims of their respective almae matres.)

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I stated my opinion that it is anachronistic. Just because "every cloth merchant" sells cream flannel does not mean there is raging demand for it. Almost all also include neon pink cloth in their books. Why do you keep deleting my posts when I am trying to present a contrasting opinion that differs from buy-in and pile-on? Is the point of a discussion forum to uncritically encourage boosterism for everything under the sun?

LOL @ deleting and subsequently quoting a post. Not so effective, other than making the childish censoring obvious to all.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm increasingly won over to the view that almost anything can look anachronistic when styled badly. And vice versa. In this case, I find cream flannel quite versatile. What does it not go with other than cream flannel odd jackets? (The only people I know who own said item wear them with the dark and light blue trims of their respective almae matres.)

Well, since most hardcore clothing aficionados consider themselves historical archivists and stewards of the old ways, we seldom see these items used in a modern fashion, don't you think? It's never, I'm going to fashion a bomber jacket out of cream flannel; it's always, I'm going to wear cream flannel with suspenders and brogued suede shoes and a fedora.

As for color, I find that it's generally too creamy. I'm going to go one further and say that light gray flannel can even be "too much" in many cases. A medium or darker flannel is a subtler, simpler choice. Don't you think that the extreme lightness would make one look bottom heavy?

Marsay

Reaction score
I mean, that's all stuff that people say, yes. But I'm still getting over the bombshell that Vox owns 5 pairs of casual shoes in black. If someone can become the deus absconditus of Styleforum all the while wearing an item that Styleforum doctrine holds to be unwearable...

As for the colour thing: not sure I buy that. Isn't cream basically as versatile as tan but just a lot more expensive to wear (dry cleaning).

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I stated my opinion that it is anachronistic. Just because "every cloth merchant" sells cream flannel does not mean there is raging demand for it. Almost all also include neon pink cloth in their books. Why do you keep deleting my posts when I am trying to present a contrasting opinion that differs from buy-in and pile-on? Is the point of a discussion forum to uncritically encourage boosterism for everything under the sun?

I didn't delete your post. I don't have that power, but if I did it seems more productive to let your inane comments stand.

LOL @ deleting and subsequently quoting a post. Not so effective, other than making the childish censoring obvious to all.

I'm not sure who you're accusing of censorship, but it was not me.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, Sprout's just had one too many. He'll be fine again in a few hours.

Changing things up a bit: as some of you may have noticed, I have an awful lot of Canali RTW in my wardrobe. This is simply because their Sydney boutique is close by where I work, their stuff tends to fit me, and they have two sales every year.

The salesman tells me that all Canali's fabric comes from Loro Piana. He was quite firm about this. All of it. Maybe one company owns the other, I'm not sure.

One thing I do know: Every season, Canali stock garments made from interesting fabrics, the likes of which I simply don't see on these esteemed pages.

One day I will make the effort to take colour-accurate, close-up photos of some of the more unusual cloths in my collection, and post them here for comment. In the meantime: thoughts on Loro Piana, on Canali fabric, and on the links between the two?

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say I agree with sprout2 that light coloured trousers are harder to pull off. Darker colours are safer choices. Subtler? Maybe.

When I want to be discret I wear a navy blazer with charcoal trousers and black shoes. Of course light flannels and brown shoes would be appropriate too, and also more interesting, but the result would be less...limpid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads