• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hirschlederne

Reaction score

New Spring/summer Dormeuil came out today, the bottom left is intended as a jacket or suit!

Is that a QR Code cloth top left?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Tweedy

What type of jackets are you going to wear them with?

I should have specified: hopsacks, more coarse grained versions, some wool-silk-linen mixes, that have the appearance of texture but are smooth in finish. Also picked up a recent jacket made up in from the Phoenix book (mid blue, similar to Murlsquirl's green Steed jacket). So, all the jackets have some small scale variation. Having some trousers that are more smooth in finishing (not sure I like them), I wanted something a bit more textured.

Quote:

How are those in terms of texture? I dislike an overly smooth finish on grey odd trousers.
Dormeuil tropical is really good in solid colors for trousers, I have a mid grey that goes with nearly anything.

I have a pair of trousers in tropical wool that tend to be smoother than I prefer but they are appropriately, well, tropical. I guess some variegation even if the texture is smooth would be ok.

Bespoke DJP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @TweedyProf

Since some of your SCs have wool-silk (and linen) mix in a smooth finish, you may like to consider a cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna: mid-grey, Wool 85% - Silk 15%, 190 gr., code 20136.

I do have it - still unfunded - it's a fantastic shade, extremely beautiful in hand; sorry I don't, nor will I have any Fresco, etc to compare.

Best,

Dimitris

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kind of opposite actually. I wear a suit daily except when I go to South East Asia for 3 weeks a year. I think I might want to be a tad bit more casual now during the summer. My tolerance for sweating through my good dress pants has dropped in my old age.

Gosh! If I could be your old age I'd be somethun like 20 to 30 years younger. What a lucky boy you are at your old age.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gents, I'm considering having a coat made up a bit similar to this:

However, I would like a fabric with more surface interest to it (like barleycorn, birdseye, whatever) and would prefer the colours to be a light blue/grey version, weight preferably somewhere around 600 grm., something like the LL blue/grey barleycorn that was made a few years back:

I have searched for a leftover of the LL cloth but to no avail, so I would therefore be much obliged if anyone had suggestions for something slightly similar (not necessarily across all parameters, but at least something remotely in the same style that would work for a coat like this).

Thanks a lot in advance!
SKM
Not blue-grey (more undyed grey), but some excellent plain, non-sissy tweeds from Ardalanish Tweeds.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Saw this on Instagram from a Korean tailor called Estado. Alpaca from Lovat I believe. I think I need some more Alpaca in my life. Has anyone made something up in it? I have an Alpaca blend SC in the works but am wondering what 100% Alpaca would look like in an overcoat (I'm not sure picture shows blend or pure Alpaca).

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not blue-grey (more undyed grey), but some excellent plain, non-sissy tweeds from Ardalanish Tweeds.

Wow, those are some great tweeds indeed, thx! However, managed to pick up a length of the blue/grey version from Molloy which I have now handed over to my tailor:

But will definitely keep Ardalanish in mind for further commissions :)

mactire

Reaction score
Wow, those are some great tweeds indeed, thx! However, managed to pick up a length of the blue/grey version from Molloy which I have now handed over to my tailor:

But will definitely keep Ardalanish in mind for further commissions
smile.gif

Where'd you get it? I've been considering getting it re-woven myself.

Tony Montana

Reaction score

Saw this on Instagram from a Korean tailor called Estado. Alpaca from Lovat I believe. I think I need some more Alpaca in my life. Has anyone made something up in it? I have an Alpaca blend SC in the works but am wondering what 100% Alpaca would look like in an overcoat (I'm not sure picture shows blend or pure Alpaca).
That is Douglas Cordeaux from Fox Bros. in the picture. You could drop them an email, maybe the cloth is by Fox. "Lovat" might only be the colour.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads