• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like it in concept, but never really wore the two wide wale pants I've owned.

There's this idea of a frumpy, wide waled pants, old Shetland sweater, ratty OCBD, tassel loafer guy that I've always liked. I just never really actually dress like that, even if the idea has a weird comfort to it.

Like those dudes in Ben Silver catalogs.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have had several pairs of 90/10 cotton/cashmere cord trousers in the past. I found them to be durable and pleasant to wear because of the cashmere content. I think a thinner wale looks better overall for cord jackets and trousers.

However, I can't imagine getting a cord suit at this point. I feel as if I would always reach for options other than a corduroy suit for any relevant occasion. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure I donated the corduroy jackets that I have owned, including an olive and a burgundy one.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like it in concept, but never really wore the two wide wale pants I've owned.

There's this idea of a frumpy, wide waled pants, old Shetland sweater, ratty OCBD, tassel loafer guy that I've always liked. I just never really actually dress like that, even if the idea has a weird comfort to it.

Like those dudes in Ben Silver catalogs.

I believe nothing ages you more than wearing wide wale corduroys.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like teh wide wale :embar:

Being quite a bit older than you I saw a lot of ultra wide wale (Hippie) growing up that I'm afraid scarred me for life :)

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The courduroy that NMWA used for the Eidos double-breasted suit seemed like it was soft and drapey when I saw it in person. Seems that way in @gdl203 photos. The description on the site says that it's from Pontoglio.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that can be fun, if you are having a corduroy jacket made, is to experiment with features that you might not consider on a more expensive tweed or fine wool jacket. For example, I had various corduroy jackets with bi-swing shoulders, pleated pockets, throat latch, patch elbows, leather buttons, sewn belted back etc... The bi-swing shoulder and pleated pockets are comfortable and perfect for corduroys more casual style.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a color suggestion, (And this is my own opinion) stay away from gold or gold shades of tan or brown unless you have a naturally dark or olive complexion. It washes the color out of most peoples faces in Fall/WInter. It looks good on a hanger but even with a nice blue shirt it can make you look rather pale.

OxfordDon

Reaction score

As a color suggestion, (And this is my own opinion) stay away from gold or gold shades of tan or brown unless you have a naturally dark or olive complexion. It washes the color out of most peoples faces in Fall/WInter. It looks good on a hanger but even with a nice blue shirt it can make you look rather pale.

But, but, but Minnis 7704 is an iGent staple!

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a jacket in that and I never wear it. It's a great example of a cloth that looks great as a bolt and would probably make a nice pillow for your reading chair, but otherwise kind of sucks.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The H&S corduroy bunch is really extensive, and really nice. They've got a lot of unusual and interesting colors. My favorite corduroy was from Dugdale-- a really heavy (18 oz?) camel yellow in a medium wale. Rich, soft, sturdy, and inexpensive. I don't see it on their website anymore, though. Their current corduroy bunch is different from what I got-- lighter weight and artificial fibers in the mix. Could not recommend any of those per se, but if they still offer the old stuff offline I would highly recommend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads