• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stencil

Reaction score
why terrible? i enjoy lighweight suits.

a) You'll find that, in general, there is a traditionalist love of heavyweight fabrics here, which many (myself included) think drape better and stand up to abuse for longer.

b) 6 oz is getting beyond lightweight, and into flyweight.

gng1962

Reaction score
thank you gents. actually i made my decision on the weight. i just wonder if anyone used the specific ariston fabric.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Any recommendations for tailors in HK?
I get excess fabric from work but I don't want to take them to my regular tailor. He's getting old and whatever I wants can't be done, or will look ugly.

Thank you.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, particularly P-K-L and Grammaton Cleric.

ErikJN

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting a SC made up by Luxire, and as my first non-OTR SC I want them to make "the ultimate navy blazer", if you will. Looking for a 3-4 season navy fabric within Luxire's range, however being new to the entire possibility of choosing fabrics, I'm a bit uncertain what to go for.

A Minnis navy fresco was suggested to me, but from what I've gathered from this thread, fresco is a somewhat summery fabric, not very suited for fall/winter? Again from this thread, hopsack and serge seems to be go-to fabrics, however I can't find any plain navy fabrics of either in Luxire's stock.

So I'm wondering if you have any suggestions?

Luxire carries Hunt Winterbotham, Minnis and Dugdale, and they also have a Cerruti 95/5 wool cashmere navy fabric that looks interesting. Would a 12-14 oz plain navy wool or wool cashmere flannel would look too formal/"suity" to work well as a sport coat, or is it the way to go?

Thank you for your insights,

Erik

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably depends on your climate. If you live in a very warm place anyway, such as Southern California, you can probably wear Fresco for much of the year. If you live in NYC, where there are real seasons, then I'm not sure there's a single fabric that can really serve you well for twelve months.

FWIW, I'm in Northern California. A 12 oz hopsack wool would probably work here for at least 3/4ths of the year.

Where do you live?

Last edited:

ErikJN

Reaction score
Thanks, should have mentioned that. I'm in Norway, definitely experiencing real seasons. I'm not expecting to use the blazer on the hottest of summer days (frankly, not that much in mid-summer at all), and of course I'll use a pretty heavy overcoat in winter. So, I guess I'm looking for something down the middle. Looks like 10-12 oz are typical fall weights.

As mentioned, I can't find a plain navy hopsack - is flannel too "suity"?

Thanks again for your reply!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like flannel sport coats personally, but not everyone here does.

I would think a 12oz hopsack would be good for you. It's harder wearing than flannel and looks less season specific. I think of flannel sport coats mostly as a late fall/ winter thing.

For what it's worth, I have a navy wool hopsack from Smiths. I think they have a couple under Botony and Oyster? IIRC mine is Oyster. It looks slightly less "suity" than Botony. I also have a wool/ cashmere mix from Caccioppoli. Nicer looking fuzzy texture, but as cashmere jacketings go, it's a bit more prone to pill.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, should have mentioned that. I'm in Norway, definitely experiencing real seasons. I'm not expecting to use the blazer on the hottest of summer days (frankly, not that much in mid-summer at all), and of course I'll use a pretty heavy overcoat in winter. So, I guess I'm looking for something down the middle. Looks like 10-12 oz are typical fall weights.

As mentioned, I can't find a plain navy hopsack - is flannel too "suity"?

Thanks again for your reply!

Saxony is a carded flannel that is great for sportcoats and does not come across as 'suity'

bamboo

Reaction score
It also depends on how much you would like to spend on cmt. On the higher end I know Gordon Yao accepts CMT but not for the first commission. Among value for money tailor Browns and Dream bespoke are recent SF favorites.

jimmycth

Reaction score
I've recently bought a length of cloth which reads "Trisco Mohair" on the edge. I've done some search online and find no information about Trisco. What actually is Trisco?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads