• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLH03

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have a jacket in fabric 520076 from the Huddersfield Worsted Alsport II collection? Here's a link: https://www.hfwltd.com/single_piece/520076
For some reason I remembered this instagram post I saw quite some time ago. The jacket is 520076.

In my opinion, the Marling and Evan looks a little better/more suited for a sport coat. I don’t have experience with the specific M&E fabric, but I do with the worsted alsport. The worsted alsport lacks a little depth/color, in my opinion.

Attachments

• F3C786A8-D644-4926-A35E-BAD1FE1EB467.jpeg
    F3C786A8-D644-4926-A35E-BAD1FE1EB467.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

dapperdan88

Reaction score
For some reason I remembered this instagram post I saw quite some time ago. The jacket is 520066.

In my opinion, the Marling and Evan looks a little better/more suited for a sport coat. I don’t have experience with the specific M&E fabric, but I do with the worsted alsport. The worsted alsport lacks a little depth/color, in my opinion.

Super! I sometimes find it hard to tell from a swatch, especially by computer screen. After seeing that full jacket I do agree it looks to lack depth. Appreciate your help.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Worsted Alsport fabrics won't win prizes for any single thing they do. But the patterns are classic, and the book meets the need for a 12oz not-so-formal urban sport jacket.

I have one jacket made from 15 years ago, and a teba in the works as we speak.

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

camez_

Reaction score

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My observation is that Drapers/VBC really like mixing fabrics.

Here's a thought that just came through my head: What is sharkskin fabric? Does anybody have any good examples?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought that just came through my head: What is sharkskin fabric? Does anybody have any good examples?

The British call sharkskin "pick and pick" but AFAIK they are the same. Sharkskin sometimes gets a bad reputation for being excessively shiny and unrefined but I don't think this is true of good-quality fabric. I really like grey pick-and-pick personally - it adds just a little bit of texture and interest but it remains formal enough to wear to anything that you'd wear a plain grey worsted to.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The British call sharkskin "pick and pick" but AFAIK they are the same. Sharkskin sometimes gets a bad reputation for being excessively shiny and unrefined but I don't think this is true of good-quality fabric. I really like grey pick-and-pick personally - it adds just a little bit of texture and interest but it remains formal enough to wear to anything that you'd wear a plain grey worsted to.

Sharkskin is cool because its the most "citified suiting". The only choice if you want ultimate business suit. Especially in grey or charblue.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharkskin is cool because its the most "citified suiting". The only choice if you want ultimate business suit. Especially in grey or charblue.

It follows the James Bond law of cool

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reputation pick-and-pick/sharkskin is completely overblown. I've never found quality sharkskin to have a shine, the shine comes from artificial fibers more than the weave, and unfortunately the term sharkskin has become synonymous with low-quality artificial fabric blends.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reputation pick-and-pick/sharkskin is completely overblown. I've never found quality sharkskin to have a shine, the shine comes from artificial fibers more than the weave, and unfortunately the term sharkskin has become synonymous with low-quality artificial fabric blends.
I agree. I think it's "flash" is just us being neurotic. It's got more sheen than a fully matte plainweave, but it is in no way flashy, in my opinion

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cineva592irh