• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t happy with Brooklinen which is why I asked. I found them, despite their marketing, really expensive.

I like linen sheets / duvets. I found Brooklinen ripped after 2 years.

On the flip side, my frette duvet cover ripped after 6-7 years of regular use.
I like the Serena & Lily ones my wife got us for actual linen. I think we got the Portifino ones and they’re a ton less expensive than our Frette ones. Have held up well.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about the Brookline towels? Any good?
Replacing towels from Hammecher Schlemmer which were great and lasted a very long time. Bought them so long ago that they are almost double the price now

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about the Brookline towels? Any good?
Replacing towels from Hammecher Schlemmer which were great and lasted a very long time. Bought them so long ago that they are almost double the price now
I bought frette towels a few years back. Haven’t had any issues. But, I’m sure they’re wildly expensive these days. They were a stretch even back then.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw this on Permanent Style. These linen cloths look amazing.

Savile Row is all over the suiting books. I had a teba made from one of the patterns. Softer than good Irish, more substantial than the flimsier Italians.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What type of lining / canvas do you ask for in your summer garments if ordering from an english tailor?
I don’t get too specific about that. Whitcomb and Shaftesbury had a nearly-unconstructed model that works really well in some situations. But if it is a more conventional cut, I let them recommend a solution unless I have had a bad experience with a particular fabric.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
I'm having my first bespoke sports jacket made up in a dark(ish) brown glen check flannel by Fox, CL2-28. (https://foxflannel.com/products/classic-flannel-prince-of-wales-dark-brown)
I intend to wear it mainly with tailoring (grey/charcoal flannels, calf/cordovan/suede loafers/oxfords) but also with chinos and patinated indigo jeans.
I commute to work on a push-bike and often walk briskly in town, so tend to work up a sweat when in multiple layers, particularly if anything synthetic is involved, so i quite like the idea of having it either unlined or only very partially lined. Is this sensible in this cloth?
I'd also like the cut to be Neapolitan in shape/curvature, with a straight lapel (which appears convex when folded) and open quarters, with a Roman shoulder and some light roping.
Does this sort of Italianate cut 'work' with a very British cloth such as this Fox flannel, or will it look somewhat confused?
Finally, given the checks, i asked if the front dart can be placed further back, almost behind the arm, to avoid the interference with the check pattern; Florentine-style, you might say. Is this sensible or am i creating unforeseen problems?
Photos from the first fitting below, perhaps anyone could chime in if i'm missing something?
Apols if this isn't really the right sub-forum - although my Qs are mainly based on the choice of cloth!
Many thanks, all.

1726355195923.png

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having my first bespoke sports jacket made up in a dark(ish) brown glen check flannel by Fox, CL2-28. (https://foxflannel.com/products/classic-flannel-prince-of-wales-dark-brown)
I intend to wear it mainly with tailoring (grey/charcoal flannels, calf/cordovan/suede loafers/oxfords) but also with chinos and patinated indigo jeans.
I commute to work on a push-bike and often walk briskly in town, so tend to work up a sweat when in multiple layers, particularly if anything synthetic is involved, so i quite like the idea of having it either unlined or only very partially lined. Is this sensible in this cloth?
I'd also like the cut to be Neapolitan in shape/curvature, with a straight lapel (which appears convex when folded) and open quarters, with a Roman shoulder and some light roping.
Does this sort of Italianate cut 'work' with a very British cloth such as this Fox flannel, or will it look somewhat confused?
Finally, given the checks, i asked if the front dart can be placed further back, almost behind the arm, to avoid the interference with the check pattern; Florentine-style, you might say. Is this sensible or am i creating unforeseen problems?
Photos from the first fitting below, perhaps anyone could chime in if i'm missing something?
Apols if this isn't really the right sub-forum - although my Qs are mainly based on the choice of cloth!
Many thanks, all.

View attachment 2245677
This is a disaster waiting to happen. Start with the tailors house style first. Then you can ask for slight adjustments. But, preferably, find a tailor who makes what you’re looking for

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many thanks, all.

View attachment 2245677
English cloth works great with soft Neapolitan tailoring.

But do whatever the tailor suggests and don’t tell him what to do, how to make it or where to move darts.

Like @jonathanS mentioned trying to ask for all these tweaks, merging a bunch of different traditions and deviating from whatever it is this tailors house style is, especially on a first commission, is absolutely a disaster waiting to happen.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t get too specific about that. Whitcomb and Shaftesbury had a nearly-unconstructed model that works really well in some situations. But if it is a more conventional cut, I let them recommend a solution unless I have had a bad experience with a particular fabric.
Air Jacket?

modern-english-bespoke-tailoring.jpg

english-bespoke-jacket.jpg

bespoke-linen-jacket.jpg

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Like @jonathanS mentioned trying to ask for all these tweaks, merging a bunch of different traditions and deviating from whatever it is this tailors house style is, especially on a first commission, is absolutely a disaster waiting to happen.
Thank you both; they're quite strong views! I thought the only real 'tweak' was the dart position, but i take your point(s) well.
Regarding lining, does this weight flannel (15/16oz) lend itself to be unlined, if cut close to my frame? Or you think i should line it, given it's what the tailor (who's house style is Poole-esque English structured) would ordinarily do?

kylepw

Reaction score
Thank you both; they're quite strong views! I thought the only real 'tweak' was the dart position, but i take your point(s) well.
Regarding lining, does this weight flannel (15/16oz) lend itself to be unlined, if cut close to my frame? Or you think i should line it, given it's what the tailor (who's house style is Poole-esque English structured) would ordinarily do?
Go with tailor’s style always. Or find a new tailor.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawyerman