• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

epsilon22

Reaction score
Thinking of finally getting a sport coat made for the winter. I was initially planning to get this Fox SP7
SP7_700x.jpg

After browsing the fabric swatches, I think the grey above is a bit too dark, and now I'm leaning towards this Fox SP9 instead. The blue is more vibrant, but the overall fabric still resolves as grey from a distance, so it's probably not too loud. Would like to hear your opinions on either of these fabrics, or suggestions for something similar (small checks in grey/blue tones).
SP9_700x.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of finally getting a sport coat made for the winter. I was initially planning to get this Fox SP7
SP7_700x.jpg

After browsing the fabric swatches, I think the grey above is a bit too dark, and now I'm leaning towards this Fox SP9 instead. The blue is more vibrant, but the overall fabric still resolves as grey from a distance, so it's probably not too loud. Would like to hear your opinions on either of these fabrics, or suggestions for something similar (small checks in grey/blue tones).
SP9_700x.jpg
A dozen or so pages back on this thread I was comparing these very same fabrics.

I went with the SP7 and am having it made up now. As you say, it’s darker and the blues aren’t as vibrant, which is what I wanted. The SP9 is very nice as well.

There’s something similar to SP9 in Cacciopoli’s Spring 2024 jacketing book if you want something in a lighter weight. It’s #340104.

IMG_6781.jpeg

https://collection.caccioppolinapoli.it/it/3401-jackets/4718-330106.html

epsilon22

Reaction score
A dozen or so pages back on this thread I was comparing these very same fabrics.

I went with the SP7 and am having it made up now. As you say, it’s darker and the blues aren’t as vibrant, which is what I wanted. The SP9 is very nice as well.

There’s something similar to SP9 in Cacciopoli’s Spring 2024 jacketing book if you want something in a lighter weight. It’s #340104.

View attachment 2213203

https://collection.caccioppolinapoli.it/it/3401-jackets/4718-330106.html
Yes I do remember your posts about it, good to know you're getting the SP7 made up, looking forward to seeing the results. I'm now leaning towards SP9, and will share here if I end up ordering it. It's going to be my first non-solid sport coat, so I'm worried about going too wild and regretting it later haha.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I do remember your posts about it, good to know you're getting the SP7 made up, looking forward to seeing the results. I'm now leaning towards SP9, and will share here if I end up ordering it. It's going to be my first non-solid sport coat, so I'm worried about going too wild and regretting it later haha.
I think the fact that it's grey and blue will make it fine for regular use. I like brown jackets as much as the next SF poster but I don't like jackets that are too traditionally tweedy in color and appearance, they make me feel like I'm getting back from a fox hunt. Tweedy patterns in city colors is much more wearable IMHO.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with 9. Obviously neither is LOUD, but I think the latter will have more visual pop than the 7, which I imagine will have the potential to resolve to a solid from distance.

hitsuji

Reaction score
SP7_700x.jpg

SP9_700x.jpg
I’ve seen the SP7 in a book and like it a lot more than the SP9. Ultimately depends on where you’re wearing it but tones of gray blue and navy go about with anything and anywhere apart from a funeral

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Either will be fine, hardly flamboyant. I very much doubt you’ll regret either, even if you’ve only had solid colour sport coats.

Herringbones in blue/greys could also be an option if you want something muted.

Alsport has a charcoal / blue houndstooth you could consider. I have a jacket in Alsport (different pattern) and it’s an incredibly hard wearing cloth.

IMG_8194.jpeg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen the SP7 in a book and like it a lot more than the SP9. Ultimately depends on where you’re wearing it but tones of gray blue and navy go about with anything and anywhere apart from a funeral

I prefer (clearly) the SP7 too, although they are pretty interchangeable and would fulfill the same purpose, it's ultimately just a personal preference.

By the way, I would certainly choose earthy shades instead, but it's also personal preference.

epsilon22

Reaction score
I think the thing that turns me away from SP7 is the shade of grey in it is very similar to my preferred shade of grey in trousers (medium, a bit dark). Of course no one would ever mistake them as mismatched suit jacket/trousers, but something slightly lighter would give better contrast.

The SP9 shade in the SP7 pattern scale would've been ideal for my taste, I think. Next to each other, the SP7 pattern is slightly larger:

2024-07-11 18.01.46.jpg

Edit: I understand browns are probably the traditional pick for gun club check patterns, but I think I just prefer shades of blue and grey. But I might be open to trying them after this sport coat.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the thing that turns me away from SP7 is the shade of grey in it is very similar to my preferred shade of grey in trousers (medium, a bit dark). Of course no one would ever mistake them as mismatched suit jacket/trousers, but something slightly lighter would give better contrast.

The SP9 shade in the SP7 pattern scale would've been ideal for my taste, I think. Next to each other, the SP7 pattern is slightly larger:

View attachment 2213345

Edit: I understand browns are probably the traditional pick for gun club check patterns, but I think I just prefer shades of blue and grey. But I might be open to trying them after this sport coat.

It's probably the reason I like it more. As for the trousers, you just have to choose either a lighter or darker tone.

epsilon22

Reaction score
Haha I keep bouncing back and forth, and it seems like even opinions in this thread are split. Well, good news is that I guess I can't really go wrong with either of them. I'll give it some thoughts before placing my order.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

L.deJong

Reaction score
Haha I keep bouncing back and forth, and it seems like even opinions in this thread are split. Well, good news is that I guess I can't really go wrong with either of them. I'll give it some thoughts before placing my order.
Keep in mind that the shades of grey will be lighter when made up. It's well known, that a sample is always a little darker than the actual garment because: light... Anyway both are nice, I would go with sp7 it's always good to challenge your trouser game a little so you can order some more;)

Featured Sponsor

Would you be willing to shop exclusively by appointment at your favorite stores?

• Yes, I prefer personalized service.

• No, I like to browse freely.

• Maybe, depending on the store.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinecricketid33