• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've decided to pull the trigger on some Dugdale Invincible cavalry twill for a double-breasted suit. I did a search here and couldn't find anything how much I should buy.

I did find something on Ask Andy About Clothes:
Coat & Trousers: 3.25 m.
Coat, Vest & Trousers: 3.50 m.
Blazer/Sport Coat: 2 m.
Trousers: 1.50 m.
Vest: .50 m.

For patterned fabrics add 1/4 meter.

I'm 6ft/183cm 38L & cuffed trousers 30w/32.5. Is 3.25m enough for a double-breasted suit in a plain fabric?

TIA
It depends on how efficient your cutter is I guess but generally no. I’m ballpark a similar size. 4 meters.

The better answer is to ask your tailor (and ask them if they have an account with Dugdale while you’re at it because you’ll likely save a lot of money if they do)

CLH03

Reaction score
I've decided to pull the trigger on some Dugdale Invincible cavalry twill for a double-breasted suit. I did a search here and couldn't find anything how much I should buy.

I did find something on Ask Andy About Clothes:
Coat & Trousers: 3.25 m.
Coat, Vest & Trousers: 3.50 m.
Blazer/Sport Coat: 2 m.
Trousers: 1.50 m.
Vest: .50 m.

For patterned fabrics add 1/4 meter.

I'm 6ft/183cm 38L & cuffed trousers 30w/32.5. Is 3.25m enough for a double-breasted suit in a plain fabric?

TIA
I don’t think so, at least not for DB. I would ask the tailor/company you are sending the fabric to. Some people like to have some extra fabric just to be safe.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on how efficient your cutter is I guess but generally no. I’m ballpark a similar size. 4 meters.

The better answer is to ask your tailor (and ask them if they have an account with Dugdale while you’re at it because you’ll likely save a lot of money if they do)
Ah. Great answer.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I haven't chosen a tailor yet.
Depends who you use but generally speaking, prices if you have an account as a tailor should be at least 50% less than the cut length price if you go order yourself if that motivates you to pick instead of just stashing fabric. Some exceptions apply - I Sarti I think is the main one that comes to mind based on their price list if I recall.

camez_

Reaction score
I'm the same height and for a unicoloured fabric, I'd say 3.5m should be sufficient. My tailors need 3.3m, but I also weigh 100kg, so this should be safe.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find heavy cavalry twill to wear cooler than you would think based on the weight alone. Something about the crispiness of the cloth breaths surprisingly well. There's no pile like a flannel or cord so its not overly insulating.
Yes, but there are exceptions. LL QUCT has a more flannelly character, so that will hold you well in cold weather. Otherwise, the firm surface won’t feel at all warm until you really need it to breathe.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from Harrison’s Universal and Dugdale’s Fearnaught, are there any other recommended books for heavy worsted business suiting? No woolen or worsted flannel, no speciality weaves like cavalry twill or whipcord, thanks.
I wound up going with the Fearnaught. Beautiful 18 oz. navy twill for a 6x1 DB. The grey is nice as well.

Eganacci

Reaction score
I find heavy cavalry twill to wear cooler than you would think based on the weight alone. Something about the crispiness of the cloth breaths surprisingly well. There's no pile like a flannel or cord so its not overly insulating.
Interesting, what are your preferred bunches in that realm?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second this statement...I wear cav twill trousers in Australian heat.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads