• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

camez_

Reaction score
will you use it for trousering? I got a beige and black length from another merchant but not sure if I should make it up now

LJ1891

Reaction score
will you use it for trousering? I got a beige and black length from another merchant but not sure if I should make it up now
Yes, I will use it for trousering when it’s time. For some reason I don’t like the bedford cord for jacketing. Something about the wales say “trousers not jackets” to me. What do you think? Would you use bedford cord or cavalry twill for jacketing?

I posted a picture of some charcoal cavalry twill and brown bedford cord lengths(same bunch) last month that I sent off for trousering. They are finished and en route back to me and should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I asked my tailor to use the pattern we have developed and to add the details sans belt loops from these armoury trousers. I’m excited to see what he came up with 👍
IMG_1568.png

Last edited:

camez_

Reaction score
Yes, I will use it for trousering when it’s time. For some reason I don’t like the bedford cord for jacketing. Something about the wales say “trousers not jackets” to me. What do you think? Would you use bedford cord or cavalry twill for jacketing?

I posted a picture of some charcoal cavalry twill and brown bedford cord lengths(same bunch) last month that I sent off for trousering. They are finished and en route back to me and should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I asked my tailor to use the pattern we have developed and to add the details sans belt loops from these armoury trousers. I’m excited to see what he came up with 👍
View attachment 2118223

I certainly agree with you regarding bedford only as trousering, but you could use cav twill as jacketing/suiting. Originally it was also used in military uniforms, so I don't see that much of a problem there and I've also seen that on people although it's a bit unusual nowadays because of the weight. There are not many people who will wear above 500g jackets, I don't mind that though. If we take a look at vintage cloth, Scabal's Bronze Eagle as suiting for example, it weighed in at 580g and that was some sturdy cloth.

@bedford trousering
I also had envisioned a more casual look with frogmouth pockets for the pants, quite similar to the ones that you've posted from the Armoury. Would be another option that I'd like to consider..

LJ1891

Reaction score
Tip for best cavalry twill cloth for trousers? (beige,sand,brown)
And where to get it?
I can’t tell you if it’s the best either. But, I think the following list is a reputable list.
Huddersfield has the Eskdale Collection.
Dugdale has the Invincible collection.
Standeven has a bunch of cavalry.
Fox has some in their “fox drop” bunch.
W. Bill as you know already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics