• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. There are a few interesting patterns in that book. I only have a W Bill linen suit, which is nice but I want a patterned linen jacket and they only have plains.
Don’t you find w. Bill linen really hot?

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
The color works but I'm not a big fan of the texture for a sport coat.

Can you get samples of the fabrics I posted and compare it against the cashmere?

I dont mind the texture at all, in fact I very much like it.
I can get other fabrics for comparison and will do so, before finally pulling the trigger.

It’s not something for every day, but it would make a fantastic jacket to wear in the evening. If you tend to go out and already have some more ‘boring’ options (ie navy), it’s worth considering it.

Have almost enough of the boring stuff and (as evidenced) I do go out pretty regularly, so it would get good wear for sure.

CLH03

Reaction score
I dont mind the texture at all, in fact I very much like it.
I can get other fabrics for comparison and will do so, before finally pulling the trigger.

Have almost enough of the boring stuff and (as evidenced) I do go out pretty regularly, so it would get good wear for sure.
if you like it go for it. I think it would look great with some grey flannels or something similar

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Take a look at Maison Hellard Heures Bleues for patterned heavier linens. Caccioppoli has some mixes in the Summer Jacket bunch. I think 3301. Depending on how breathable you’re after Marling Evans has a summer Wool/Silk/Linen called LinFit.

I have looked at Cacciopoli and they seem lighter than Solbiati or Irish linens. Their linen blends have some fantastic patterns but I prefer 100% linen.
Don’t you find w. Bill linen really hot?

Not really, unless it’s close to 30C and then frankly any jacket is too warm. Do you feel it’s warmer than other linens of a similar weight ?

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
I have looked at Cacciopoli and they seem lighter than Solbiati or Irish linens. Their linen blends have some fantastic patterns but I prefer 100% linen.

Not really, unless it’s close to 30C and then frankly any jacket is too warm. Do you feel it’s warmer than other linens of a similar weight ?

I really like the Maison Hellard linen. Have a suit and odd trousers from their plain linen and they wear wonderfully. Love the way they crease. And they do not feel hot at all so can be worn even during very warm periods.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Irish linen, for me, has been really hot. But I only placed one order for a suit from an English tailor a long time ago. But English tailoring has multiple layers of canvassing & runs warmer than Italian. I wouldn’t recommend English tailoring for summer at all (way too hot).

WhereNext

Reaction score
Closing the loop on my side of the “does a burgundy jacket turn you into a bellhop” discussion, I picked my jacket up today. Someone asked about the fabric, so I got a shot of the book it comes from.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I really like the Maison Hellard linen. Have a suit and odd trousers from their plain linen and they wear wonderfully. Love the way they crease. And they do not feel hot at all so can be worn even during very warm periods.
Their linen does look nice. Quite pricy but it sounds like an alternative worthy of consideration.

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
Their linen does look nice. Quite pricy but it sounds like an alternative worthy of consideration.
I dont have enough inisght what their prices are in comparison to others and I bought quite some stuff from them already last year so if they increased I might not have noticed it. Also might be thing that I am in Europe so not far away from the source. But in comparison to basically any wool fabric that I have encountered, their linen is cheaper.

Apart from that: I really like how it feels and how it drapes and the way it creases. It is really good stuff and they have a nice variety in colours.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I dont have enough inisght what their prices are in comparison to others and I bought quite some stuff from them already last year so if they increased I might not have noticed it. Also might be thing that I am in Europe so not far away from the source. But in comparison to basically any wool fabric that I have encountered, their linen is cheaper.

Apart from that: I really like how it feels and how it drapes and the way it creases. It is really good stuff and they have a nice variety in colours.

I'm also in Europe. Yes, their linen is cheaper than wool but linen is, generally, cheaper than wool. I was mainly comparing it with other linens (at the prices the tailor can procure at least, so perhaps not entirely fair). Nonetheless, the main thing is that the fabric is good, so I will look into them.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from Harrison’s Universal and Dugdale’s Fearnaught, are there any other recommended books for heavy worsted business suiting? No woolen or worsted flannel, no speciality weaves like cavalry twill or whipcord, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads