• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WhereNext

Reaction score
the problem with Snowdonia is that is has a massive price now, on par with the LL heavier and 100% cashmere.
Ah, fair enough! I don't think I got a price quote on the Snowdonia, but I wasn't so wowed by it that I wouldn't choose 100% cashmere if it was the same price. I moved to China recently, so I'm still figuring out what cloths/makers have the big mark-ups and which do not (a "fun" game as one moves across countries). For example, if folks in the US think Fox is expensive, it's got nothing on the price here, apparently.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO Drapers Ascot bunch has the best browns of the comparable bunches.
Fox air has some awesome browns. But the drapers ascot has an excellent range of colors. Better, imo, than the British. But I think I prefer fox air for the hot days. Just my 2¢

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking for mid-brown lighter wait cloth for odd trousers. H&S Crispaire has been suggested to me (I believe I have it made up in mid/light gray and quite like it for hot summer days). So, Crispaire is the default but I wonder if there's a heavier cloth that remains airy.

Wool ideal but mixes are fine too.

Is the received view still that Fresco is nice but itchy if unlined?
Fresco can be a bit rustic, but it depends on which weight and your personal taste.

Depending on just what part of summer you are aiming for, maybe Smiths Abacus could work. For pure shedding of wrinkles, though, Fresco, Finmeresco, Air, and maybe still Crispaire are aimed more at this task.

CrimsonWave

Reaction score
Fresco can be a bit rustic, but it depends on which weight and your personal taste.

Depending on just what part of summer you are aiming for, maybe Smiths Abacus could work. For pure shedding of wrinkles, though, Fresco, Finmeresco, Air, and maybe still Crispaire are aimed more at this task.
I would add the Standeven Explorer and Alfred Brown x Merino Brothers to the list of good high twists. VBC/Drapers Ascot 4 ply as some others have mentioned too.

I haven't tried Harrisons Spring Ram or H&S Airesco but they look to have some nice browns too.

I find Fox City comparable to the Abacus and Harrisons Frontier, although Fox City and Abacus seemed hardier to me.

Reaction score
I would add the Standeven Explorer and Alfred Brown x Merino Brothers to the list of good high twists. VBC/Drapers Ascot 4 ply as some others have mentioned too.

I haven't tried Harrisons Spring Ram or H&S Airesco but they look to have some nice browns too.

I find Fox City comparable to the Abacus and Harrisons Frontier, although Fox City and Abacus seemed hardier to me.
Personally speaking, I find Harrisons Frontier and Fox City to be comparable, while Smith Woollens Abacus is a tier hardier, more into the Fresco/Spring Ram category.

I had Abacus made up for trousers, and find them to be even a hair scratchier than the ones made up in Fresco (both lined).

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find Fresco Lite much less itchy and perfect for summer. In fact, it can be a bit too light for summers in Scandinavia, for instance. I prefer the more rustic Fresco for those evenings when temperatures drop below those of winter in most of Brazil.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In many respects, I prefer the 10oz Fresco to the 4-ply Finmeresco, much as some people sneer at the coarseness of the former. It holds up very well, and if it is too rough, just get it lined in front.

Simon A

Reaction score
"Coarseness" is relative. Until the 1930's, when fine-wool producing nations like Australia, Argentina and South Africa started to seriously respond to market demand with fleeces consistently less than 21 micron in diameter, the softest and coolest worsted fabric that could be procured was Super 70's. That is now considered a winter-weight "sports" fabric. Today's "rustic" Fresco is yesteryear's exotic lightweight silk satin knickers on the comfort front.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Coarseness" is relative. Until the 1930's, when fine-wool producing nations like Australia, Argentina and South Africa started to seriously respond to market demand with fleeces consistently less than 21 micron in diameter, the softest and coolest worsted fabric that could be procured was Super 70's. That is now considered a winter-weight "sports" fabric. Today's "rustic" Fresco is yesteryear's exotic lightweight silk satin knickers on the comfort front.
Sure, but we're now all a bunch of namby pamby sissy boys...we can't handle it if it doesn't feel like cashmere on our pudgy little bums.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the hard wearing coarseness of fox air. Not sure about the original fresco.

If you don’t like the coarseness, finmeresco has a 2 ply twist with a nicer hand right before the 4plys in the same book. Also drapers has a 2 ply as well in their ascot book.

I haven’t had anything make up in the drapers 2 ply, because I’ve been happy with the results of the 4ply (which has better drape / weight). But, as I write this, I think I may try the 2 ply next.

dench127

Reaction score
Has anyone had Holland and Sherry 9522009 made up into trousers (or suits) before?
506b347f-764e-4029-a7a1-9c64b6ee3be1.jpg

https://apparel.hollandandsherry.com/en/fabric/use/suits/9522209-seasonal-classics-fawn-whipcord

I'm curious how warm/cool and how yellow it looks irl

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
While visiting my tailor today, we went through most of the backlog. Turns out, there is plenty of work ahead... :p

Maison Hellard "La Dole" 100% linen limited edition, 360g/m, enough for a suit plus one additional trousers
IMG_4120.JPEG

Maison Hellard "Vieille vigne" 100% linen limited edition, 360g/m, for trousers
IMG_4139.JPEG

H&S 757505CP, Wool & Cashmere Flannel, 96% Super 160s Wool, 1% Cashmere, 1% Silver Mink, 325g/m, a trouser's length
IMG_4122.JPEG

H&S 9219019, Cashmere Pure Opulence, 100% Cashmere, 350g/m for a jacket
IMG_4126.JPEG

H&S Superflannel (got no number), 97% Super 120s Wool, 3% Cashmere, no g/m noted, but for trousers and my next project on the list
IMG_4131.JPEG

And I got one trousers length of this one for spring/fall:
IMG_4146.JPEG

(Not pictured are a trouser's length each from a light grey H&S 2021054 Serge & Solana Super 100s 270g/m and Maison Hellard "Cigare" 100% linen 330g/m)

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw Steed today in NYC and updating the fabric. Chose Fox Air for odd trousers in a darker brown, I believe this one (they had an older book with different numbering scheme):

A lot of nice browns in Fox City book as well.

baromatic

Reaction score
In many respects, I prefer the 10oz Fresco to the 4-ply Finmeresco, much as some people sneer at the coarseness of the former. It holds up very well, and if it is too rough, just get it lined in front.
I’m with you on the 9/10oz fresco.
It is king for tropical climates. It’s a beautiful dry and airy 2-ply and I don’t associate it with coarseness.

Also, the variety for the fresco book(s) are leaps and bounds above finmeresco…. The offering triumphs with color and melange.

Although that 4-ply is a classic with the drape and finishing we aren’t talking anything interesting unless one fancies conservative suiting.

Above all else, we have what spills out of Canonico.

Sfba

Reaction score
Can someone comment on the differences between the 340g range and the 360g range in Drapers/VBC’s Lady Sanfelice flannel book? Beyond the weight, obviously…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads