• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. If it were me I'd be more concerned with price and weight - I think all three sellers have pretty good reputations.

Fair, all are in the 350-370g range. Anglo-Italian and Fox Bros are in the same price range, with Marling and Evans being significantly cheaper.

In general I've become a little more interested in where the fabric is milled, since learning that similar patterns to the London Lounge offers can often be found in the Lovat tweed books at a fraction of the subscription cost.

ixk

Reaction score
Could anyone chime in about the effectiveness of different "tropical" wool suiting fabrics?
Looking to get a suit made for (very) hot environments while avoiding linen if possible, and was wondering if there was one mill that outperformed others in their tropical fabrics.
Dormeuil's tropical amadeus seems to have a good reputation, but I don't know much more than that.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could anyone chime in about the effectiveness of different "tropical" wool suiting fabrics?
Looking to get a suit made for (very) hot environments while avoiding linen if possible, and was wondering if there was one mill that outperformed others in their tropical fabrics.
Dormeuil's tropical amadeus seems to have a good reputation, but I don't know much more than that.

cant really comment on comparative performance since I only one a lot of trousers in Drapers Ascot, but for hot environments I would recommend looking at the following high-twist open weave suiting fabrics:

- Minnis Fresco
- Drapers Ascot
- Holland and Sherry Crispaire
- Fox Bros fox air
- Smith Finmeresco
- Dormieul Tonik

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cant really comment on comparative performance since I only one a lot of trousers in Drapers Ascot, but for hot environments I would recommend looking at the following high-twist open weave suiting fabrics:

- Minnis Fresco
- Drapers Ascot
- Holland and Sherry Crispaire
- Fox Bros fox air
- Smith Finmeresco
- Dormieul Tonik

I'd add Dugdale's Tropicalair and New Fine Worsted ranges.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LL is trying to get a subscription together for dark green blazer fabric.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
In general I've become a little more interested in where the fabric is milled, since learning that similar patterns to the London Lounge offers can often be found in the Lovat tweed books at a fraction of the subscription cost.
LL is trying to get a subscription together for dark green blazer fabric.

Caveat emptor.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you can find their ultimate blazer cloth quality in a book, please let us all know. It is quite amazing.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @Concordia,

I don't speak on my behalf, but it is for quite some time evident that no matter how "special" these runs are, this LL is hugely overpricing its offerings.

As far as a dark green blazer fabric in particular is concerned, if this is a winter-weight one, I suggest you to check the "Ongoing Bespoke Projects" Thread (some pages back), where I posted couple of photos of a fitting of such a FW SC in the making. It was an unfunded liability for some three years, an awesome Zegna Trofeo-Cashmere dark emerald green with a subtle herringbone fabric at 290grams.

Best,

Dimitris

etostano

Reaction score

The only wool fabric I’ve had that is noticeably cooler in hot/humid environments is H&S Cool Breeze, though admittedly I have less experience than others with forum favorite frescos

yanagi

Reaction score
If you can find their ultimate blazer cloth quality in a book, please let us all know. It is quite amazing.

I'm very interested in the potential LL dark green ultimate blazer cloth because AFAIK, it's hard to find a stock cloth elsewhere that's
  • Dark green (much darker than Master's green) and
  • "Heavy" (navy ultimate blazer was 400 gr/m)
Drapers has a dark green, but it's 280 gr/m. As @aristoi bcn mentioned, Fox has a very heavy serge, but it's navy instead of dark green.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads