• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heavy Fresco is scratchy and warm in hot weather. Go for the lightest Fresco, or the High Twist section of the Finmeresco book. It will drape and crease well enough; if it doesn’t, it is because it is hot and humid out, which would leave you dead in a 3-ply Fresco suit.

Don’t forget the linen shirts!

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Will this be a useful suit after the wedding? Does it fit in with your wardrobe?
I don't think that cloth, in that style, for a wedding in that climate, is the best choice.
Would recommend going lighter in color and weight if you are only considering the wedding scenario.
Dove/pearl grey is seen more often for summer weddings in those climates.
Use a plain weave if you want it to be less dressy.
Get a wool/mohair blend if you want a sharp crease. This will look even better than the fresco. There are a variety of weaves, From super tight and smooth finishes to weaves similar in appearance to fresco weaves.
Use the Ascot book if you insist on a fresco type weave. The cloth is way better and has more advantages than fresco.
Sharkskin if you want a spectacular looking suit with a bit of presence. Do it SB and not DB.
Getting a batiste, voile or a cotton linen blend shirt will do the most for keeping you cool regardless of which cloth you select. Will have more cooling effect than just removing a bit of lining from the jacket

A light-grey DB suit is indeed less versatile than its darker SB counterparts for me, though still a useful suit after the wedding, given I work in a relatively conservative office and wear tailoring every day, just that i’m not senior enough to wear a light-coloured DB that often.

Colour wise def agree with you that a dove grey is better (I initially had the ideal of a light grey DB for a slight nod to morning suits). I’ve found Finmeresco has a dove grey that looks v nice: SW2730.
C17E50D6-73AC-442D-988C-5B100B3A3528.jpeg

Am almost determined to use a high-twist, so browsing through different bunches. Mohair as well - i just felt that the 9-10oz fresco mohair (from HFW) which i’ve got a swatch of, felt a bit too insubstantial for trousers. Will check our Ascot as well.

Style wise, I still err towards a DB, as an SBPL suit is even less useful for me, and a notched lapel is somewhat too lougesuit-ish to me for a wedding.

However your comments really sparkled thoughts of the ‘usefulness’: Hey what if i do a navy mock leno DB blazer with gold button, worn with mid/light grey high-twist or cream trousers - less formal / special but very suitable for the seaside setting!

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Heavy Fresco is scratchy and warm in hot weather. Go for the lightest Fresco, or the High Twist section of the Finmeresco book. It will drape and crease well enough; if it doesn’t, it is because it is hot and humid out, which would leave you dead in a 3-ply Fresco suit.

Don’t forget the linen shirts!

Looks like the efficient frontier is really steeply skewed - a smaller loss in the body of fabric but i guess a big gain in the breathability!

And thanks for the linen shirt - i’m most certainly gonna use a white linen spread collar shirt.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
same here my tailor advised against and yet I am someone loving heavy fabrics!

It’s not just the weight but the prickliness which adds to its discomfort in hot humid climate. All fresco becomes more tolerable with frequent use after wearing in but these days I just reach for Drapers 4 ply. Smooth, drapes well and airy at about 12oz.

yanagi

Reaction score
However your comments really sparkled thoughts of the ‘usefulness’: Hey what if i do a navy mock leno DB blazer with gold button, worn with mid/light grey high-twist or cream trousers - less formal / special but very suitable for the seaside setting!

I have a Fresco III (510244) navy mock leno DB blazer with blue MOP buttons. It was my first bespoke commission, and I find it surprisingly useful in the following sense.

You might think a DB would stand out these days, but because the 510244 is such a conservative navy color, and the blue MOP buttons aren't eye popping, the jacket ends up being very reserved overall. So you can enjoy and wear it often without being "that guy."

No matter what you choose, congratulations on the wedding.

Edit (example)
510244.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Royal_Airforce I second the Drapers 4-ply, I have a pair of trousers in the mid-grey and holds a crease really well...it runs 370g too, so substantially lighter than the fresco option

I've also have some swatches of Lovat Bard, which is 3-ply 390g...its comperable but a little darker than the Drapers Ascot offerings

I'm not terribly familiar with the climate of Hong Kong, but it does work for me in a humid mid-Atlantic summers here in the states

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not terribly familiar with the climate of Hong Kong, but it does work for me in a humid mid-Atlantic summers here in the states
Multiply NYC by three. Figure >100F and >100% rh.

Howfener

Reaction score
I’m visiting Steed for a MTM single breasted suit soon. I’d like to get it made up with a classic plain navy worsted wool. It’s going to be for my wedding in northern England in July but, afterwards, for use as a nice business suit for important client meetings. Any ideas on cloth? Every RTW suit I’ve owned seems to go shiny after no time, so I’m worried about that!

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for something between a mid-grey and a dark charcoal grey, similar to the London Lounge image below? They recently launched a new subscription of this in flannel, but I was interested in either a standard twill or fresco-like weave, preferably in a 10-13oz weight

That's is actually my suit it's the London Lounge mid-grey Mistral much heavier than the 10-13 oz you are after. The Mistral is a similar to a hopsack you can try the Smith's Woollen Steadfast or the Finmersco book.

Nico

Reaction score
I’m visiting Steed for a MTM single breasted suit soon. I’d like to get it made up with a classic plain navy worsted wool. It’s going to be for my wedding in northern England in July but, afterwards, for use as a nice business suit for important client meetings. Any ideas on cloth? Every RTW suit I’ve owned seems to go shiny after no time, so I’m worried about that!

More experienced members will be able to help you better but the H Lesser & Sons No.303 13oz and the Harrisons Oyster cloths come to mind.

The City of London and Classic Worsted from Holland and Sherry could also be an option.

Congrats for the wedding btw.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's is actually my suit it's the London Lounge mid-grey Mistral much heavier than the 10-13 oz you are after. The Mistral is a similar to a hopsack you can try the Smith's Woollen Steadfast or the Finmersco book.

its a great suit! yea, I dont want to go much above 13oz as i can wear that for most of the year...I was hoping they would that shade in Brisa quality rather than a flannel this go around...

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
I have a Fresco III (510244) navy mock leno DB blazer with blue MOP buttons. It was my first bespoke commission, and I find it surprisingly useful in the following sense.

You might think a DB would stand out these days, but because the 510244 is such a conservative navy color, and the blue MOP buttons aren't eye popping, the jacket ends up being very reserved overall. So you can enjoy and wear it often without being "that guy."

No matter what you choose, congratulations on the wedding.

Edit (example)
Yessss I’d say i’m never afraid to wear a DB navy blazer. And hats off to yours, Yanagi san!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads