• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Interesting discussion on tweed. I wondered if anyone in this thread has tried one of Molloy's Donegal tweeds, which apparently have the distinction of actually being made in Donegal. I don't know much about them, but them seem to be on the heavier side. The one below is about 18 oz. I just saw the swatches posted by Luxire. They are offering these fabrics for trousers, although they seem better suited to sport coats. Anyhow, here is one example:

ldourado

Reaction score
Thanks @dieworkwear and @archibaldleach for the suggestions. I'm not used to Fresco. Is it durable enough for trousers? Sometimes I have that awful problem with piling between the thighs.

Any suggestions for linen/wool blends suitable for trousers?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting discussion on tweed. I wondered if anyone in this thread has tried one of Molloy's Donegal tweeds, which apparently have the distinction of actually being made in Donegal. I don't know much about them, but them seem to be on the heavier side. The one below is about 18 oz. I just saw the swatches posted by Luxire. They are offering these fabrics for trousers, although they seem better suited to sport coats. Anyhow, here is one example:

Molloy sells stuff in different weights, but IMO, almost everything they make is better suited to jackets and coats. Including that blue herringbone.

Thanks @dieworkwear and @archibaldleach for the suggestions. I'm not used to Fresco. Is it durable enough for trousers? Sometimes I have that awful problem with piling between the thighs.

Lots of people use Fresco here for trousers.

I thought I had read that you do not think gray sport coats are that useful.

I think they're less useful than brown and blue sport coats, but grey tweeds are nice. Donegals and herringbones are pretty easy to wear.

Last edited:

Simplicio

Reaction score

Molloy sells stuff in different weights, but IMO, almost everything they make is better suited to jackets and coats. Including that blue herringbone.

^ I have that blue Molloy donegal - it's very very thick (even 18oz. Harris is slim by comparison) - def only for coats.

Thanks for the replies. This sounds like pretty serious fabric. I might want a lighter weight, if in fact one was available.

GC: if you have any pictures of how this Molloy Donegal made up I would love to see them.

Arno

Reaction score

I once made trousers from this cloth. Very heavy and thick.
I can't say I'd really recommend it though. It was fun and they do keep my legs warm during the coldest days, but heavy flannel does it better.
Even for jackets, it's too coarse for me. Would be great for an overcoat though...

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

I don't recall seeing a green like this one from W Bill linen book, this looks like darker green to me May be @~ B ~ can chime in.

I just flipped through my WBill swatch book and there aren't any green linens at all. The nearest ones that are vaguely green would be 60136 and 60137, both a very, very light sand-olive. Obviously night and day compared to the Racing Green

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Any folks interested in bespoke shirting runs in patterned linen-cotton, with Bonfanti?
Sure, if they're not too far out there on patterns/colors.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

Any suggestions for linen/wool blends suitable for trousers?

Fresco would be ultra-durable but a little scratchy for trousers. It'll retain its line well.

You could look at Cacciopoli and Minnis for linen/wool.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

Sure, if they're not too far out there on patterns/colors.

Classic stuff like houndstooths, puppytooths, glenplaids, tattersalls and ginghams

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads