• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After years of buying RTW I’ve been dipping my toes in having some things made.

Starting to think of commissioning a fall/winter suit. It will be Neapolitan so my first instinct is something on the softer side of things - cashmere, flannel, etc.

I figured if anyone would have suggestions on mills/books I should take a look at or where to start it would be you guys. Any suggestions?

You prob don't want a pure cashmere suit because the trousers will easily bag. Hard to go wrong with a flannel suit, as it's a classic. You can find good flannel from Fox Brothers, Huddersfield Fine Worsted, Holland & Sherry, Drapers, and others. For people who are buying their own cloth, you prob want Fox or HFW, as they sell cut lengths to consumers. Otherwise, I would just take a recommendation from your tailor.

I also like "faux tweed" or "worsted tweed" suits for fall/ winter, but many will be more orientated towards the "enthusiast" side of things, not really the type of thing you'd wear to work. Harrison of Edingburgh has a good book called Glorious Twelfth. It's on the slightly lighter, smoother side of this category. I really like HFW's "Worsted Alsport" book, which has both checks and Donegal-esque types of fabrics. That's a little heftier.

You can also go for corduroy, but again, that's a bit more "enthusiast." I have a pure cotton corduroy suit made from Hunt and Winterbotham fabric. I like it, but if I could do it over again, would choose something like the wool-cotton cords in Loro Piana "Cotton Time."

Finally, I like cotton suits for fall. I recently bought a brushed cotton suit using a Zegna fabric. It's not quite moleskin, but it's not quite drill. It is also an elastane mix. I'm not much of a purist, so I'm fine with going for synthetic blends for comfort. If you find pure cotton too stiff, that can be an option. Otherwise, Brisbane Moss is the usual go-to company for cotton.

echow

Reaction score
Hi Forum Members,

I’ve recently seen some some cotton-linen shirting fabrics from Cacciopoli,that i really like.

Does anyone know where i can purchase shirting fabrics directly that have a blend of 50% cotton-50% linen or alternatively 70% cotton-30% linen? Or even chambray fabrics?

I went on the acorn site but those colors did not appeal to me.
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated

Psyko

Reaction score
I've been searching high and low for a tweed material similar to the ones on the attached pictures. Anyone here have some tips on where to find similar fabrics?

Screenshot_20211001-083442_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211001-084222_Chrome.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been searching high and low for a tweed material similar to the ones on the attached pictures. Anyone here have some tips on where to find similar fabrics?

View attachment 1678134
View attachment 1678135

Fox has a new sports jacketing that looks similar to the second photo.

SP17_1800x1800.jpeg

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VBC has tons of options for flannels (not so much for cashmere). My flannel suits are now almost 7-years old and drape as the first time I got them. Feel free to DM me if you would like me to share my experience with commissioning flannel suits.

After years of buying RTW I’ve been dipping my toes in having some things made.

Starting to think of commissioning a fall/winter suit. It will be Neapolitan so my first instinct is something on the softer side of things - cashmere, flannel, etc.

I figured if anyone would have suggestions on mills/books I should take a look at or where to start it would be you guys. Any suggestions?

Polo Collar

Reaction score
Hi to all the members ? Does anyone knows where to find Brisbane Moss fabrics ? I have send them several emails to ask them if they sell to individuals , but never got an answer back . I am searching for quality canvas fabrics suitable for trousoures . Any other reccomendations are welcome. Thanks.

They sell to individuals, just send them an email and ask for shade cards.

mactire

Reaction score
Hi Forum Members,

I’ve recently seen some some cotton-linen shirting fabrics from Cacciopoli,that i really like.

Does anyone know where i can purchase shirting fabrics directly that have a blend of 50% cotton-50% linen or alternatively 70% cotton-30% linen? Or even chambray fabrics?

I went on the acorn site but those colors did not appeal to me.
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated

The answer is going to depend on where you're based, ie EU/SE Asia etc.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New books. Some time ago there was a request for shetland.
It's like a hefty tweed with half the calories.
View attachment 1679041
The 13 ounce whipcords feel very light weight, the 21 ounce is interesting View attachment 1679042

any idea if they are re-doing the donegal book?! Got a specific fabric in mind for my next jacket and am wondering if I need to pull the trigger on it sooner rather than later…

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score
View attachment 1679041
The 13 ounce whipcords feel very light weight, the 21 ounce is interesting View attachment 1679042

Could you give your opinion of the cavalry twills (21oz) of W. Bill in comparision to other book? (Holland and Sherry and Dugdale Bros.)

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1679041

I just got these too! I'm making a jacket from WB12403, trousers from WB16216, and a field jacket from WB16225. I'll report back when I have them in hand.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
putseller96