• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undershirts

plazdiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1BNY23
Haynes @ Target, Macys, etc.

I too am 5'10', but like my undershirts a little tight...I wear a medium, but you may want to go with large.

+1

i was surprised at how low they cut the Vs. great price too.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reubencahn
Does anyone wear silk weight capilene or polypropoline as an undershirt? I never wear undershirts because I don't like the bulk, but it seems as though these might work well.
Aren't those thermal materials?....I would think they are too warm for working in an office, and especially under a jacket.

denarii

Reaction score
Does anyone wear silk weight capilene or polypropoline as an undershirt? I never wear undershirts because I don't like the bulk, but it seems as though these might work well.

Not so sure how the capilene would work as an undershirt with a suit - as it'd transfer the sweat in the form of water vapor directly into your cotton shirts (rather than delaying the transfer by absorbing the sweat itself). Also I haven't seen any white capilene shirts yet, they've all been offwhite/earth-toned (white isn't exactly in high-demand with the hiking/camping crowd). Nevertheless I swear by them as hiking shirts because they are extremely lightweight and do an amazing job of transferring sweat from the base layer to the outer layer, thereby keeping your body relatively warm and dry whenever you stop.

I suppose ... if properly combined with a Gore-Tex suit, it'd do wonders for those high-stress interviews...
wink.gif

Gordon Freeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Every time this comes up I have to wonder whether the poster is familiar with the (in)famous glory that is IM. I can only hope they have stumbled across it in sheer naivete, unwittingly becoming the latest incarnation of a long-running SF joke...or simply trying to resurrect one of the funniest threads ever.

I'm not familiar with IM, just stumbled across.
Would you enlighten me, please?

Of course I'd like to read the funniest thread ever.
smile.gif

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Aren't those thermal materials?....I would think they are too warm for working in an office, and especially under a jacket.

Originally Posted by denarii
Not so sure how the capilene would work as an undershirt with a suit - as it'd transfer the sweat in the form of water vapor directly into your cotton shirts (rather than delaying the transfer by absorbing the sweat itself). Also I haven't seen any white capilene shirts yet, they've all been offwhite/earth-toned (white isn't exactly in high-demand with the hiking/camping crowd).

I suppose ... if properly combined with a Gore-Tex suit, it'd do wonders for those high-stress interviews...
wink.gif

I saw some pure white Patagonias the other day which made me think of this. I was thinking about how capilene will keep you cool by wicking the sweat to the outside where it evaporates efficiently but wasn't thinking about the fact that it would then be simply dumped onto your nice shirt. Oh well, I'll have to pass on this idea until my bespoke Gore-Tex suit is ready.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silk has drawbacks in durability, especially white silk. Black undershirts create problems. 2(x)ist pima cotton does feel great. It is more durable than silk and maybe as lightweight. "Silk-weight" cotton is always good, but hard to find at a low price and not necessarily deep V or long.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh well, I'll have to pass on this idea until my bespoke Gore-Tex suit is ready.
Perfect for those business meetings w/ extreme sports type CEO's that just have to be held at Everest Base Camp.

Thomas0302

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
JC Penney! I am 5'11 and have the same problem. They fit great and are inexpensive.

What he said.

Go to Penneys and get some Towncraft shirts. They are light, long, have a wonderful fit, and are inexpensive. It's the only undershirt I'll wear, you won't be dissapointed.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
I have worn undershirts only on a handful of occasions in the last 5 years. I feel that unless the undershirt is of the same quality material as the primary shirt that it actually defeats the purpose of purchasing shirts in a nice fabric as they will not be in contact with a good portion of your torso. It's almost like buying shoes and having them covered with contact paper to preserve the leather.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
I have worn undershirts only on a handful of occasions in the last 5 years. I feel that unless the undershirt is of the same quality material as the primary shirt that it actually defeats the purpose of purchasing shirts in a nice fabric as they will not be in contact with a good portion of your torso. It's almost like buying shoes and having them covered with contact paper to preserve the leather.

Or wearing socks.

Con Biz Dresser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Or wearing socks.

I think that socks serve a different purpose than an undershirt not unlike a tie or pocket square while being functional as they provide cushioning, wick away moisture, and can also provide warmth; not to mention that many socks come in fabrics that are very high quality such as merino wool.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um.....maybe I'm doing something wrong....but my undershirts eventually develop sweat stains. I assume I am protecting that nice fabric on my shirts from said sweat and/or excess anti-perspirant I may have applied.

ALSO.....I have very dark hair and a fairly hairy chest. You should see what a white dress shirt looks like on me without an undershirt. DEFINTITELY NOT UCBD!

Jolly Green

Reaction score
Another vote for JCPenny's house brand. It's the only thing I wear from them.

Comfortable fit.
Low enough V that I can't see it under a dress shirt with the top 2 buttons open.
Available in tall sizes.
They have a light and medium weight, IIRC
At this price point they are disposable.

Cheers,
D

Jolly Green

Reaction score
Um.....maybe I'm doing something wrong....but my undershirts eventually develop sweat stains. I assume I am protecting that nice fabric on my shirts from said sweat and/or excess anti-perspirant I may have applied.
Sweat stains are caused by the aluminum something in the Anti-perspirant. Either switch to Deoderant or and a non-aluminum based AP. That fixes the sweat stains.

Cheers,
D

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polypro I remember from my days on the X-ski team. It was good for layering. Not sure if I'd wear it day to day.

STP often has 2xist or sunspel.

Also note that Hanro is having a sample sale soon. Hanro is a Swiss brand, though not necessarily made there. Close to Zimmerli in quality & retail price. Sold at BG, SFA, etc.

Details from dailycandy.com:

What: Hanro
Why: Luxe loungewear, underwear, sleepwear, and robes at 75 percent off.
When: Apr. 17 & 18. Tues., 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; Wed., 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Where: 40 E. 34 St., b/t Madison & Park Aves., ste. 207 (212-532-3320 ext. 11).

Call to confirm that sale includes men's. Brand is mostly for women.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads