• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unable to wear black shoes anymore!

Strokeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
I love black shoes. You guys are nuts.

Agreed. I love my black shoes as well. Brown is lovely, eye catching and I have more browns than blacks, but when it's time to be serious at work then black easily rules. For me at least:

Dress shoes = business shoes. Business = serious. Serious = black shoes. Simplistic perhaps, but business is not immune from bouts of curious attitudes, ill-considered points of view and other human frailties.

On a somewhat unrelated point, brown shoes and dark suits can sometimes make me feel like a chihuahua. Thankfully I'm 6'4" so my clients are less likely to think the way I feel.
tounge.gif

Tibo

Reaction score
There are situations where black shoes are _required_. In a conservative business environment (and there are quite a couple of those: professional services, public affairs, corporate lawyers, investment banking), brown shoes can easily be frowned upon.

Plus, black shoes from a good shoemaker and with a nice shine actually *are* nice.

stach

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy

Well I am getting older so maybe my wife will bury me in the AEs and sell the MacKays on the forum to get some spending money.

Perry
blush.gif

Shoes are not worn in coffins.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Strokeman
On a somewhat unrelated point, brown shoes and dark suits can sometimes make me feel like a chihuahua. Thankfully I'm 6'4" so my clients are less likely to think the way I feel.
tounge.gif

That's very interesting. An evil Chihuahua? (puts pinky to mouth, Dr Evil style)

I agree with Tibo, and not just because I love belgian chocolates, good quality black shoes look rich and gather their own unique patina.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Black shoes have their place.

Tom

Agreed. Although I now own many more pairs of brown shoes than black, thanks to StyleForum and AAAC, there are times when black is just more appropriate. I would guess that roughly 1/3 of my shoes are black, but I wear them much less often than my beloved brown shoes. Brown shoes can just take on such a rich patina that black can't possible match.
inlove.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maximus Mark
However, I am now unable to wear any of my black shoes because, damnit, I think they look ugly with everything and extremely dull, not to mention every other man I see has these unsightly black square/STEEL-toed abominations. I spent a fair bit on them too, mostly AE's at near retail.
I think you drank too much AAAC/SF kool-aid. Black is a colour (yeah, yeah, I know) and limiting yourself from a colour because other people think it shows limited imagination, shows limited imagination yourself. Take what people editorialize upon here and AAAC as suggestions or musings, not gospel. Meanwhile, I wear black shoes and I feel fine.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Anyone with good black shoes in US 11 who don't need them anymore may drop them off at my house. Thank you.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing I will say is that I wear black shoes far more often in fall and winter as the fabrications and colors that i wear in the summer almost always lend themselves more favorably to brown shoes.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
I think you drank too much AAAC/SF kool-aid.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
One thing I will say is that I wear black shoes far more often in fall and winter as the fabrications and colors that i wear in the summer almost always lend themselves more favorably to brown shoes.

I've found the same thing myself.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i have this problem too! but i am not permitted to where other colored shoe other than black - stupid HK old fashion office dress codes - but i also remember reading that in the city people that wear brown shoe were concidered un trustworthy!!

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, black is one of many shoe colors. Some people like black shoes (including me). Some can do without black shoes. Some like cowboy boots, some don't. Some like squared-toe shoes, some can't abide them. etc
It's neither a sin or virtue to wear black shoes. It's a choice--not a religion.

creat3cp

Reaction score
kitonbrioni, you have a nice blog. Can we exchange links? yes, most guys will have at least a pair of black shoe I guess if they need to attend formal dinner. Cannot imagine black suit with other colour shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads