• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

joei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
If Alden Indies are what you want, I'd save up for them. The whole point of the boots is that they'd last a long time and look good; if you buy a similar boot you don't like as much, you'll be stuck with it for years.

Good leather shoes are completely worth going outside of your price range.

I think I'm going to do that. After looking at other options none have that look. Thanks

fiasco

Reaction score
Need some help finding some nice sleek dress shoes that will look good for interviews. I just graduated so I don't have a ton of money but im willing to spend around ~$200.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Side-zip, cap toe combat boots (I guess these would be called paratrooper boots or jump boots), maybe $200 - $300 (though I'd go a bit higher if it means a step up in leather quality). Looking for a not-too-chunky sole and reasonably sleek last. Sizing has to go up to US 12.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pokey07
Hey, I'm in need of a couple things for my wardrobe.

First off, I need button down shirts. I'll be wearing these on casual Fridays and out to the bar and what not. Like most I like my shirts slimmer on the waist and shorter than the normal button down shirt. Pretty much BoO fit, without the price tag, since I can't afford that. Is my best option, to buy some shirts from JCrew for instance and have them tailored the way I'd like?

Second, I need a new pair of jeans. Something straight, not too tight, since my legs are a bit bulkier. Also, how do 514s fit? I wanted to get a couple pairs of jeans that aren't raw also because I get tired of the "wear the same jeans every day routine."

Last, I need some slightly dressier shoes to wear, but not too dressy. I just wear my white Jack Purcells with everything and I just want something a little different. Especially to wear with polos and dress shirts. The Jack Purcells are fine with tees, but I'd like to dress it up a little more with nicer shoes. American Eagle actually has some distressed oxford and wingtips that I kinda like on the cheap. I know everyone will frown at the brand choice, but if anyone has some any other recommendations like that I'd appreciate it. Oh also something different from desert boots. I have 2 pairs of those, but I just want to be able to switch it up every once and a while.

Thanks in advance!

For inexpensive button downs, try Express. Seriously. I get compliments all the time. Size down if you want slimmer fit. They do offer fitted, but I find I even like to size those down. They are nice and simple. No pocket. Great colors.

As far as 514s...I love my 514s! I'll warn you though. Try them on. I've found some variance in sizing. Nothing major, but if you have a specific break you like of you like them hitting your hips at an exact height, there can be differences between washes. I hate the ones with the flaps on the back pockets though. They just don't fit as well.

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Thomas
For inexpensive button downs, try Express. Seriously. I get compliments all the time. Size down if you want slimmer fit. They do offer fitted, but I find I even like to size those down. They are nice and simple. No pocket. Great colors.

As far as 514s...I love my 514s! I'll warn you though. Try them on. I've found some variance in sizing. Nothing major, but if you have a specific break you like of you like them hitting your hips at an exact height, there can be differences between washes. I hate the ones with the flaps on the back pockets though. They just don't fit as well.

can you give some more info on those express shirts? there's no stores within 50 miles of where i live, unfortunately.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara
can you give some more info on those express shirts? there's no stores within 50 miles of where i live, unfortunately.

Since you're probably shopping online anyway, I'd recommend getting made-to-measure shirts. Cottonworks.com (which is a forum affiliate) has shirts starting at $59 shipped with a ton of options (including a slim fit with darts). There's also moderntailor.com, which has an introductory offer of $20 for your first shirt ($30 with shipping). You send them your measurements, measurements from a shirt that fits you well, or the shirt itself. I had a local tailor take my measurements for the moderntailor shirt I'm wearing right now. It's way cheaper than BoO, it's less hassle than buying a normal shirt and taking it to a tailor, and you can even get MoP buttons (although I don't think they'll fall off as easily as the buttons on a BoO shirt).

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaalbara

The problem is they come in XS, S, M, L and XL. The M says it is a 15"-15-1/2" neck and no sleeve length. I normally wear a 16"x34"-35". The sleeve length hits me perfect.

Never pay retail for them. Search for coupons or sign up for emails and you'll get tons of coupons. The shirts are always buy 1 get one 1/2.

I'll agree with what is being said though. If you can get an online custom-made might as well go for that. The advantage to the Express shirts is you can go in and try them on. If you're gonna order online and ship them, might as well get exactly what you want.

NonPoly

Reaction score
Hey, I'm wondering which of these two colors I should chose:
1255726120_aether-apparel-space-hoodie_4.jpg
or...
1255726134_aether-apparel-space-hoodie_5.jpg
My wardrobe is basically buttondown in grey, black and white, a black v neck knit, some light colored tees and two pairs of raw jeans in black and deep indigo. Once it get's really cold I'll buy a shell, but until then I'd wear this around campus with BD's or tees so... Which color should I pick?

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good inclement weather boot sub $300? Was thinking LL Bean Duck boots. Anything better out there bang-for-buck?

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
Nice, simple belts?

I would like an assortment of relatively bright colors for non-leather belts, as well as some leather in different shades of brown like black cherry and mahogany.

Introvert

Reaction score
I'm a short guy with a fairly athletic build (5'7, 140 lbs) and I'm tired of all my clothes fitting like ****. Can anyone give me a list of brands/labels/retailers that are slimmer fitting or at least not vanity sized (stuff shorter in length, slimmer in chest and arms than average). I'm gonna rebuild my wardrobe soon, jackets, coats, shirts, sweaters, etc (already got jeans and shoes covered).

A list with a mix of cheap fashion (around H&M pricepoint) and more expensive labels (I am willing to pay up to a W+H pricepoint) would be nice. Also, stuff that can be ordered online easily please, I don't really want to hassle around the B&S forums or mess with proxying services until I un-noob myself.

Thanks and cheers!

Introvert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
i would suggest exploring more before trying to buy stuff en masse.
Been lurking 3~4 months now
confused.gif
Well, I am not going to buy stuff "en masse", perhaps I should have worded it better, although I am going to rebuild my wardrobe, it is not all going to be all at once. I was going to buy stuff I needed seasonally. It's getting colder now so I was looking for Parkas and M65s, but I just wanted a list of slim fitting labels in general so I have a good frame of reference for future purchases.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uh, no offense but have you been lurking that long and are still that clueless?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads