• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

cromulated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NameBack
Fair enough. Probably something more like a peacoat (I'm not sure what a duffle is), and ideally under $200, but that's definitely flexible.

$200 will get you a spiewak peacoat. they're quite durable and warm for the money; check ..........

Laika

Reaction score
I want canvas or leather sneakers for less than $80 that go well with jeans and graphite and burgundy corduroy. Absolutely no Chuck Taylors, and I'm already aware of Jack Purcells, so other suggestions would be very helpful. I might end up just picking up a pair of the good kind of Converse though anyway.

Also, I'd really like to get a peacoat for this winter. I want something thick and warm, but fitting, and less than $350. The simpler, the better. I'm not really a fan of coats with fourteen pockets and elaborate button arrangements. Thanks very much.

Islander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dvskei
MUST GET .. but don't know where/wtf they are called.
012-1.jpg

That is a strap Jodhpur boot.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laika
I want canvas or leather sneakers for less than $80 that go well with jeans and graphite and burgundy corduroy. Absolutely no Chuck Taylors, and I'm already aware of Jack Purcells, so other suggestions would be very helpful. I might end up just picking up a pair of the good kind of Converse though anyway.

Also, I'd really like to get a peacoat for this winter. I want something thick and warm, but fitting, and less than $350. The simpler, the better. I'm not really a fan of coats with fourteen pockets and elaborate button arrangements. Thanks very much.

Sneaker wise really your only option in that price range is classic vans canvas laceups or classic keds canvas laceups.

peacoat wise get one from an army navy store and have it tailored. should be under 100 bucks. just size down.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where should I post to ask what the good vintage/thrift/consignment shops in DC are?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NameBack
Where should I post to ask what the good vintage/thrift/consignment shops in DC are?

Quick questions thread, maybe? http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=164402

Doing a title search for "thrift" yields a couple of threads (including one on DC, with one post), but not so much stuff with lots of posts or recent activity.

I kind of liked Meeps on 18th St, and there's another one across the street whose name I totally forget (it's upstairs above a restaurant, but it has its own entrance) that had some pretty good stuff. Definitely vintage stores, though, not thrift.

Laika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Sneaker wise really your only option in that price range is classic vans canvas laceups or classic keds canvas laceups.

peacoat wise get one from an army navy store and have it tailored. should be under 100 bucks. just size down.

Thanks, I'm leaning strongly toward a pair of Keds now. Picking up a pea coat from a military surplus store sounds like it'd be a good idea too.

niix

Reaction score
I just purchased a brown belt from Tanner to wear with my brown Ascots.

I'm thinking of picking up some black boots now and was trying to decide if I should just go with a black belt or if a natural belt with black buckle would work.

I have my eye on Tanner Good's natural with black buckle and would like some opinion of this is a viable option to wear with black boots.

ligeti

Reaction score
What advantage is there to buying a pair of more expensive sneakers (e.g. Common Projects, RAF Simons, etc.) as opposed to less baller ones? Is it solely appearance, or are there other qualities that make them worthwhile?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ligeti
What advantage is there to buying a pair of more expensive sneakers (e.g. Common Projects, RAF Simons, etc.) as opposed to less baller ones? Is it solely appearance, or are there other qualities that make them worthwhile?

They look better, they feel better, they will continue to look better longer, and they will usually hold up a little longer. They're designed better and made with better materials. Some of them, anyway; like shoes at any pricepoint, there are a couple that are ugly or not your thing.

Go handle some in person before you decide whether they're worth it to you.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niix
I just purchased a brown belt from Tanner to wear with my brown Ascots.

I'm thinking of picking up some black boots now and was trying to decide if I should just go with a black belt or if a natural belt with black buckle would work.

I have my eye on Tanner Good's natural with black buckle and would like some opinion of this is a viable option to wear with black boots.

This sounds kind of gross as a color combination, but maybe you could make it work. One of my favorite Aeglus fits has him wearing a light brown leather belt and black boots with a natural sole, balanced out by a black leather jacket.

Black would probably be a better everyday option, though.

leroi7

Reaction score
Noob here, just trying to get a couple of posts in so I can join in on the conversations with out getting error messages all day, feel free to ignore and forgive if these are rather pointless and oft repeated posts. Any one on the forum from or come through DFW often?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shellycharls9