• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

Hey Guys,

I'm slowly upgrading and improving my wardrobe as I move through college. Just got two new pairs of shoes both from Clae: Ellingtons in acorn and Powells in grey. I dig both of them and just need some suggestions on what to pair them with, specifically regarding bottoms but also shirts. I'm not too worried about the Ellingtons, but any input on the Powells would be great since they're grey and I have little experience with that. I'm geared more towards a casual, but put together look with nothing too wild - if that makes sense. I want something that will look good during class but isn't over the top, for both pants and shirts.

I'm not sure how to pair shorts with either of them and whether I even should. I'm heading back to the UK this Sunday for 2 months so I can approach it a little bit more like fall weather, so shorts won't be too much of an issue until I get back stateside in August.

But any input would be great! Thanks.

http://sickestaddictions.com/wp-con...well_Sickest-Addictions_Sick-Addicts_2012.jpg
I assume those are the Powells you are talking about. They shouldn't be too hard to pair with bottoms.

Any tan/khaki or lighter colored pants would work fine. Or try rolling some crazy spring colors.
I'd just wear some jeans for the cooler weather.

Dapp

Reaction score
http://sickestaddictions.com/wp-con...well_Sickest-Addictions_Sick-Addicts_2012.jpg
I assume those are the Powells you are talking about. They shouldn't be too hard to pair with bottoms.
Any tan/khaki or lighter colored pants would work fine. Or try rolling some crazy spring colors.
I'd just wear some jeans for the cooler weather.
For some reason, they have two styles of the color. I have these which are just slightly different.

So they'll pretty much go with anything? Wasn't sure if it would look off with different colors, but I probably just have to try it out to see. Thanks for the help.

What If

Reaction score
I'm taking a vacation to Tokyo for 10 days and while I'm there I plan to go to some "upscale" clubs/lounges. Their dress codes all say "dress up" and I've been advised that wearing sneakers is a no-go. I've been told basically that as long as I'm dressed fairly stylish (no need for a suit or anything) then I'm good. Right now my wardrobe consists of khaki shorts, jeans, T-shirts (some graphic, some plain), a few button-ups, and only sneakers. I've decided I want to go with the casual blazer with jeans (and possibly khaki pants??) style. I'm getting a navy blazer tailored and I have some jeans. All that's left the shirt and some shoes. So, would some suede brown chukkas go with what I'm trying to pull off (both the jeans and khakis?)? What kind of shirt should I wear? I was thinking maybe a plain white V-neck or possibly a white T-shirt with a simple graphic on it.

I've never been very style savvy so any help and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Wooglin

Reaction score
I'm taking a vacation to Tokyo for 10 days and while I'm there I plan to go to some "upscale" clubs/lounges. Their dress codes all say "dress up" and I've been advised that wearing sneakers is a no-go. I've been told basically that as long as I'm dressed fairly stylish (no need for a suit or anything) then I'm good. Right now my wardrobe consists of khaki shorts, jeans, T-shirts (some graphic, some plain), a few button-ups, and only sneakers. I've decided I want to go with the casual blazer with jeans (and possibly khaki pants??) style. I'm getting a navy blazer tailored and I have some jeans. All that's left the shirt and some shoes. So, would some suede brown chukkas go with what I'm trying to pull off (both the jeans and khakis?)? What kind of shirt should I wear? I was thinking maybe a plain white V-neck or possibly a white T-shirt with a simple graphic on it.

I've never been very style savvy so any help and all help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Personally I don't consider a blazer with a tshirt "dressed up" and depending on where you're going in Tokyo you may or may not be dress code appropriate. If you've already got a well fitting navy blazer try to find an equally well fitting white spread collar shirt that you can wear without a tie. Depending on how the khakis you have fit, you may want to forgo them for dark blue denim lest you look a little too stuffy in khakis and a navy blazer in da club.

I think you would get a lot of mileage out of a nice white shirt, dark navy denim, well fitting navy blazer and hard bottom suede chukkas. That outfit could go a whole range of environments and still be very sharp all while giving you plenty of options to expand on.

What If

Reaction score
Personally I don't consider a blazer with a tshirt "dressed up" and depending on where you're going in Tokyo you may or may not be dress code appropriate. If you've already got a well fitting navy blazer try to find an equally well fitting white spread collar shirt that you can wear without a tie. Depending on how the khakis you have fit, you may want to forgo them for dark blue denim lest you look a little too stuffy in khakis and a navy blazer in da club.

I think you would get a lot of mileage out of a nice white shirt, dark navy denim, well fitting navy blazer and hard bottom suede chukkas. That outfit could go a whole range of environments and still be very sharp all while giving you plenty of options to expand on.
I've looked on the place's website and for dress code it just has the words: Dress up! I've watched quite a few youtube videos of this place and looked at pictures. Most of the males in there from what I've seen are just wearing a button down shirt, work attire (a lot of Japanese males will go straight to the bar/club out of work, and in Tokyo, it's all suits), or even sometimes a T-shirt (not very common though). No shorts obviously. I also asked a guy who did a video review of some of the clubs in Tokyo (the one I want to go to is one he said he ended up at most nights after a little partying at other clubs). He gave me this advice: "You can get into most clubs in Tokyo by dressing reasonably stylish. You don't always have to go straight sports jacket, slacks and Peter Pan shoes if you get my meaning. I think as long as you aren't wearing sneakers and you look decent, you are good to go."

I think when I go to pick up my blazer I'll see about getting a white shirt. Any material types you can recommend?

Thanks for the help.

Wooglin

Reaction score
I've looked on the place's website and for dress code it just has the words: Dress up! I've watched quite a few youtube videos of this place and looked at pictures. Most of the males in there from what I've seen are just wearing a button down shirt, work attire (a lot of Japanese males will go straight to the bar/club out of work, and in Tokyo, it's all suits), or even sometimes a T-shirt (not very common though). No shorts obviously. I also asked a guy who did a video review of some of the clubs in Tokyo (the one I want to go to is one he said he ended up at most nights after a little partying at other clubs). He gave me this advice: "You can get into most clubs in Tokyo by dressing reasonably stylish. You don't always have to go straight sports jacket, slacks and Peter Pan shoes if you get my meaning. I think as long as you aren't wearing sneakers and you look decent, you are good to go."

I think when I go to pick up my blazer I'll see about getting a white shirt. Any material types you can recommend?

Thanks for the help.

I'm sure you'd be fine wearing almost anything I was just trying to suggest some things that you can wear long-term instead of just putting together a club outfit. As far as shirts go: here's a few options Sid Mashburn J. Crew Ralph Lauren

watwillie

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am definitely new to this site. I must say that it is AWESOME! I need some help though. I am looking to buy some trousers for the summertime that i can roll up at the bottom and wear a pair of loafers/drivers with. Can you guys help me out with this? My budget is $150 max.

Thanks.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Hello all,

I am definitely new to this site.  I must say that it is AWESOME!  I need some help though.  I am looking to buy some trousers for the summertime that i can roll up at the bottom and wear a pair of loafers/drivers with.  Can you guys help me out with this?  My budget is $150 max.

Thanks.

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/StoreFront

sickstyle15

Reaction score
Hello,
I would like a nice casual boot. Color/look similar to this (don't know what brand/model this is, just liked the look of it). Also, preferably not super expensive. Any recommendations? Thanks.
:

itsmarcnotmark

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm obviously new to this thread, and sometimes i see people post stuff for sale with just waist sizes(14,15,16, etc.) and i was wondering if anyone had a converter for those to US sizes?

Sean9

Reaction score
That's usually the measured waist across having it alined. You can double it to get a good idea of how much it measures around or just ask the seller for the tag size as well.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's usually the measured waist across having it alined.  You can double it to get a good idea of how much it measures around or just ask the seller for the tag size as well.

Although I would suggest going for actual measurements, and ignore the tagged sizes. Tagged sizes don't mean anything anymore. It's also inches btw.

Ecco

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a slim, casual yellow blazer/light coat to pair with jeans for under $200. Suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
putseller96