• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. based startup company seeking advice; Opportunity for fashion designers

RunwayAvenue

Reaction score
I am new to fashion forums. I am cofounder of a startup. Our business concept is connecting independent fashion designers with customers in the fashion world. We create value by providing designers with place to market their brands and for customers to buy designer brand items nearly all handmade instead of manufactured and lower priced than major name brands.

Currently, we use social media to find independent designers to grow our online store. Personally, I find convincing designers to join us one by one is not efficient. I've tried to contact fashion news outlets to share our story without success.

Does anyone have advice on how to attract fashion designers and attract customers?

Last edited by a moderator:

etoro177

Reaction score
Hello,

This advice might seem a little late, I joined Style Forum some months back but have not been as active since I handle trade shows and events for a living. One way is to find a good venue that caters to designers and retailers.

There are plenty of good shows where you can buy a booth spot and you will get lots of visitors (designers & retailer reps), you will have to ferret out the good leads from the bad. I also would suggest throwing your own event, I have done several in the past. My shows are mostly for tailors who sell bespoke tailoring and are looking to grow their client list.

I have some pics from my last show, but I do a good number and I handpick 20 to 30 guests, through HTML email and marketing ( I have a list of potential buyers (not retail, men's bespoke clothing) that I developed on my CRM, over several years).

I normally contract art studios, food and beverage providers and I include valet parking for my guests. My cost is not as extravagant as it sounds, a good night will cost me $1000.00 in services and the tailors can usually generate around 10K before the night is over.

My business model is different but if you create a good event and market to the right schools and look at the appropriate places like: The Business of Fashion, you might be able to build a good database and design a venue that will attract the designers you would like to partner with. I hope it helps and maybe you have already implemented a similar strategy.

Sincerely,

Eric Toro

Verrell

Reaction score

Hello,

This advice might seem a little late, I joined Style Forum some months back but have not been as active since I handle trade shows and events for a living. One way is to find a good venue that caters to designers and retailers. 

There are plenty of good shows where you can buy a booth spot and you will get lots of visitors (designers & retailer reps), you will have to ferret out the good leads from the bad. I also would suggest throwing your own event, I have done several in the past. My shows are mostly for tailors who sell bespoke tailoring and are looking to grow their client list.

I have some pics from my last show, but I do a good number and I handpick 20 to 30 guests, through HTML email and marketing ( I have a list of potential buyers (not retail, men's bespoke clothing) that I developed on my CRM, over several years).

I normally contract art studios, food and beverage providers and I include valet parking for my guests. My cost is not as extravagant as it sounds, a good night will cost me $1000.00 in services and the tailors can usually generate around 10K before the night is over.

My business model is different but if you create a good event and market to the right schools and look at the appropriate places like: The Business of Fashion, you might be able to build a good database and design a venue that will attract the designers you would like to partner with. I hope it helps and maybe you have already implemented a similar strategy.

Sincerely,

Eric Toro

Hello Eric.

Do you still hold these bespoke events? I am orginally from California, but currently in Europe on a mentorship with a bespoke Golden Shear Award design/tailor. I would like more info on your eventa for when I retun back to the US, if that is where your event is located. Much thanks.

Bests,
Verrell

tron5678

Reaction score
That is not a professional E-commerce website. Did you create it by yourself? you are hosting it on wix which kills your credibility of your business instantly and sorry I might be rude but i like to be realistic the design of the website is so amateurish. When looking for designer do you check if they similar develop similar kind of clothes like i mean street style, luxury or just casual. Your website cannot have luxury products along with casual stuff. Check out Fabrixsquare, or yesstyle and you will see what I am talking about and coming on the photoshoots of the product seems like it was more focused on the model rather than product. In retail business you do catalogue photo shoot not a model portfolio shoot.. Why? The customer doesn't care about the model they want to see the product. Now, your pricing. I see your design product prices ranges from $50-$1000. $1000 who in the right mind would want to spend $1000 on a business which barely launched.There are so many flaws in your business model. How do you expect to connect with designers and consumers. You have to fix this what i have said above.Don't do the marketing by yourself as it might sound exciting but if you have no marketing experience especially on social media then don't even think about it. Hire a PR agency they will do the job for you. It actually infuriates me because i want to start my own business too and i have to wait for my loan to be approved and Have you ever worked in the fashion industry before?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads