• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twisting Seams on High End Denim. Poor Construction?

tigerx

Reaction score
maybe it'll take sometime for me to get use to it, but i usually don't like asymetrical things.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't like the leg twist, don't buy unsanforized jeans. The twist occurs naturally as the fibers contract. You know that this means that the vast majority of the the Japanese repro brands are off limits. The True Religion jeans shown are actually designed with a nod towards this natural process as were the "twisted seam" jeans by Levis Engineered.. Even sanforized denim has some degree of twisting.

Don't contact the company unless you want people to get a good laugh.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
If you don't like the leg twist, don't buy unsanforized jeans. The twist occurs naturally as the fibers contract. You know that this means that the vast majority of the the Japanese repro brands are off limits. The True Religion jeans shown are actually designed with a nod towards this natural process as were the "twisted seam" jeans by Levis Engineered.. Even sanforized denim has some degree of twisting.

Don't contact the company unless you want people to get a good laugh.

Understatement of the year. The left leg on my SF5EP is already starting to turn counter-clockwise. Both legs on my Cone selvage Crates are turned at odd angles.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
who came up with this "twisted leg is ok" is nuts.
probably sales people making a sale.
then why are some twisted and some not? reasons for the twist.
1 the two legs were not cut an the straight grain of the denim.
this is done to save cloth.
2 the two sides of the seam were fed evenly into the machine.
this causes the seam to distort.

entropy kid

Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how you approach jeans. If you get a pair in raw denim to "personalize" it, to get fading and creases, to make it adapt to your body shape ... then leg twist is just part of the equation. Before sanforization came along there wasn't even such a thing as non-twisted jeans. Take a look at:
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=31273
for some REALLY twisted vintage ones...

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Understatement of the year. The left leg on my SF5EP is already starting to turn counter-clockwise. Both legs on my Cone selvage Crates are turned at odd angles.
+1, the right leg of my RB15 twists as well. I don't really mind that much though.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't really comment on if quality causes jeans to twist more or not... for me its more of an aesthetic that turns me off...

For what its worth my current rotation of denim have no badly twisted seams and they include 10 dollar bargain Gap jeans all the way to 45rpms.

whatsinaname

Reaction score
All this "twisting" would make sense if the jeans were =not= cut on the straight grain. I've always assumed that "selvedge" jeans were cut slightly off grain to get the selvedge in (most of) the leg seam. Am I right or wrong? I wonder if selvedge cutting was originally done as a cost savings measure and that has gotten swept up the quest for vintage ... ?
smile.gif

capnpyro

Reaction score
I'd read somewhere or was told a long time ago that leg twist occurs from mass produced jeans, when being stamp cut the ones near the bottom tend to shift out of place making it slightly off, giving you twist. True/False?

sidney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by capnpyro
I'd read somewhere or was told a long time ago that leg twist occurs from mass produced jeans, when being stamp cut the ones near the bottom tend to shift out of place making it slightly off, giving you twist. True/False?

Interesting note to your question is regardless of the answer... the Japanese companies are dedicated to the craft of reproductions. To them, a fault is still an attribute of the jean you aspire to recreate... which goes to say that the authentic equipment they use will replicate whatever tendencies the originals had in construction.

Bad construction or not, it's a moot point to the p.o.v. of Japanese denim companies who cater to a collector's interests (or someone who appreciates the repro aesthetic).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Easy solution is just to twist your legs.

index1ru7.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads