• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

cxzizou

Reaction score
I've had a tough time with Truman's and sizing over the years but I think I figured out sizing. I now own 6 pairs and what I've found works best for me is: go TTS for the UNSTRUCTURED toe and go down 1/2 size for the STRUCTURED toe. I did a youtube video where I talk about this:

I have three pairs on the unstructured toe all TTS in size 9 and they fit amazing.

I have three pairs on the structured toe (which have caused me some grief): 8.5 in black CXL (fit just right), 8.5 in java waxed flesh (kinda snug, fits closer to an 8), and 9 in gaucho moose hide (big, fits closer to a 9.5). My first order ever of Trumans were a size 9 in black CXL with a structured toe and they were laughably large compared to my Alden indys in 8.5. Vince was surprised to hear they fit big, but he gladly remade them in a size 8.5, which fit perfectly. Later, I ordered a pair of java waxed flesh in 8.5 but they fit more snug and look smaller than my black pair. I ended up using a rubbing alcohol solution to stretch them some and now they fit pretty good. Because of this particular pair fitting smaller I decided moving forward I would order all size 9's, which worked out very well for the unstructured toe boots, however my most recent pair on the structured toe were the gaucho moose hide boots, and they fit VERY generously. I went and got some thicker inserts to throw in there, and they fit better but not I'm not 100% happy with them. If they weren't so rare I'd sell them and reorder them in a size 8.5.

I love my Truman boots and am happy to support the company. I have had a few hiccups along the way, but most of my experiences have been positive and I will continue to be a loyal customer to Truman

Probably you are right. I have a pair with structured toe of size 7.5, it is way larger than my other pairs such as Viberg 7 and Carmina Oscar 6.5. Then I give up on Truman after the first try.

fabes

Reaction score
Similar experience here. Went TTS on structured cap toe and definitely could have gone down a half size. Fit is a bit large and this is after trying on a few sizes at Canoe Club and feeling confident in sizing before ordering from Truman direct.

My biggest beef is that the insert they use is incredibly slippery and most of my slipping is due to the slick insert.

aerosurferlv

Reaction score
Probably you are right. I have a pair with structured toe of size 7.5, it is way larger than my other pairs such as Viberg 7 and Carmina Oscar 6.5. Then I give up on Truman after the first try.

Yes the structured toe adds a TON of volume to the toe box with Trumans. Moving forward I'll only consider unstructured toe size 9

aerosurferlv

Reaction score
Similar experience here. Went TTS on structured cap toe and definitely could have gone down a half size. Fit is a bit large and this is after trying on a few sizes at Canoe Club and feeling confident in sizing before ordering from Truman direct.

My biggest beef is that the insert they use is incredibly slippery and most of my slipping is due to the slick insert.

that's good to know, I too had bad experiences with their newer inserts. they were contorting uncomfortably inside the boot, slipping and sliding everywhere. I had to use shoe goo to glue it down so it would stop giving me blisters and shifting all over the place :-D

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
Honestly though for the 100-200$ diff from Truman to viberg, its an easy choice.

Truman is a gamble with massive lead times as well.

In the past 8 months. They discontinued their MTO, then they brought it back in store. Then they introduced mto chuckkas and derbys online. So is it discontinued or?

The announced no more unstructured toes, continues to make them unstructured in various make ups.

Modified the last to provide higher instep, told no one. They removed the leather sock liners to the cheap cork ones told no one.

2 online sample sales ago, it was suppose to be the last online one, then they hosted another one.

Its really hard to take what they say at face value, then they'll make changes(not always beneficial) without notifying the customer base.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
MAN this place has been quiet!

Truman whiskey shell cordovan for today.

4EC1393B-8AAE-44CC-8BBA-39B76F36751C.jpeg

longhuntr74

Reaction score
that's good to know, I too had bad experiences with their newer inserts. they were contorting uncomfortably inside the boot, slipping and sliding everywhere. I had to use shoe goo to glue it down so it would stop giving me blisters and shifting all over the place :-D
I'm considering replacing my cork footbeds with a piece of slightly thicker veg-tan leather instead...the cork ones squeak horribly in my boots.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeternum