• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truman Boots

gambit402

Reaction score
Wow, a full size and a half up from Trubalance? I could probably use a wide in Truman if Vince made it admittedly, but I don't think I could go another half size up without the boots being too long.

Anyway... Also worth noting that Vince will do minor customizations on orders: e.g. leave the pull tabs off, put on a toe cap. Maybe a few other things. I saw him post on Instagram about a pair with an unstructured toe. That might be an upcharge. Don't know. But right now, he's small enough that if you are nice and ask, he might do it.

And photos for you @Shalomp . These are new, so they look pretty much like the do on the Truman site, of course:

Those look good. Just wondering if the toe is turned up as much as it looks in the pic or is just how you're standing. Asking cause on the website it didn't look as turned up.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@gambit402 Toe does turn up a little, yes. Photo angle may be exaggerating it a little.

After wearing these a few times over that last few day I've noticed that there's pressure on my instep where there tongue connects to the vamp. It's not terrible, but it leaves a noticeable red mark on my foot. Hoping they give a little bit as they break in since there's really plenty of room in the fit everywhere except this. Again makes me think a wide might be nice in these for me.

If it doesn't abate, then I might check in with Vince for his advice. Not sure if there's much he'd be able to do at this point.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A look at the Truman 79 in some context.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@gambit402 Toe does turn up a little, yes. Photo angle may be exaggerating it a little.

After wearing these a few times over that last few day I've noticed that there's pressure on my instep where there tongue connects to the vamp. It's not terrible, but it leaves a noticeable red mark on my foot. Hoping they give a little bit as they break in since there's really plenty of room in the fit everywhere except this. Again makes me think a wide might be nice in these for me.

If it doesn't abate, then I might check in with Vince for his advice. Not sure if there's much he'd be able to do at this point.

I have the same issue with mine . I stretched the area with a shoe stretcher and some pieces of scrap leather. Relieved it quite a bit . I wore them all day today no problems

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have the same issue with mine . I stretched the area with a shoe stretcher and some pieces of scrap leather. Relieved it quite a bit . I wore them all day today no problems

It is getting better already with wear and I am going to give stretching a try too. I have a shoe stretcher that doesn't really work for a boot, but we'll see what I can do.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is getting better already with wear and I am going to give stretching a try too. I have a shoe stretcher that doesn't really work for a boot, but we'll see what I can do.

I'm a retired construction worker so I've broken in a lot of boots. I've never had a pair that didn't eventually get comfortable it's just a lot quicker process under those conditions

bronamath

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of the coyote currently on the website vs chromexcel roughout ?

I see coyote may be more weather resistant , anything besides that? I'm going to have a boondocker type boot made up by Truman and want to know a bit more before I pull the trigger, thanks !

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are the pros and cons of the coyote currently on the website vs chromexcel roughout ?

I see coyote may be more weather resistant , anything besides that? I'm going to have a boondocker type boot made up by Truman and want to know a bit more before I pull the trigger, thanks !

Good question.

@canadianhockey3 Has your pair come in yet? Would be great to hear your thoughts and anything about the unstructured toe that strikes.

canadianhockey3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good question.

@canadianhockey3 Has your pair come in yet? Would be great to hear your thoughts and anything about the unstructured toe that strikes.

My pair came in this Monday, will post pictures by the end of the week. I've only had one wear in them thus far, but from what I can tell, the boot is incredibly crafted. They are also superbly comfortable.

The unstructured toe is great. I wanted a boot that had the durability of a workbook, but with a bit more of a modern touch to it, and I think the unstructured look adds that element. Time will tell how the toes hold up, but from first impressions, there is still substantial support in the toe that prevents it from collapsing altogether.

The rough out is great too. It's soft, but sturdy. The coyote leather he's using for future orders seems quite interesting - it sounds like it will hold up very well under the elements, however, I would say the color of the hide looks a bit more "sandy" than the color of the natural cxl rough out.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@canadianhockey3 Cool. Will look forward to your thoughts and photos.

And so you got CXL rought out and not the coyote?

Last edited:

avsmusic1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am enjoying the look of these. Any chance of getting some representation here from Truman?

Also, what does the ordering process look like for the custom orders? Complete upfront payment?

Last edited:

NorthCoast

Reaction score
I had a nice conversation over email with the owner a couple months ago as I very much want a pair of waxed flesh boots for this winter.

I also expressed a desire for a C width and he indicated he may be able to accommodate but I have yet to order.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am enjoying the look of these. Any chance of getting some representation here from Truman?

Also, what does the ordering process look like for the custom orders? Complete upfront payment?

Easiest way to get direct answers is to email Vince. He's real good about communication

@10 days wear quickly becoming my most comfortable footwear . I ride em hard and put em away wet

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did some yard work in the waxed flesh 79s yesterday. Nice stuff. Getting more and more comfortable for sure.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member