• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trouser Leg Opening Size: What Range is Acceptable, How You Should Decide

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unbelragazzo, your leg opening should be in accord with the girth of your ankles. Judging by your measures, I'd say yours are on the slimmer side of spectrum. You'll have to find a harmony between thinner ankles and bigger feet, as tapered trouser ankles and big feet cause the 'mafoofan effect'. Or so it seems, I don't know his shoe size.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why necessarily in accord with the girth of ankles? If the pants break over the shoe, ankles are hardly ever seen. And even if so, the bagginess of a 10" opening isn't so excessive as to seem ridiculous even over a slender ankle. This, by contrast, looks ridiculous to me. This gent is apparently well known for such a look, or at least the suitorial blog from whence this image comes claims so, but for me personally, I just can't stomach it. Do I just have bad taste and everybody else loves this?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

With the current style trends, I go by Shoe size + 6.5 - 7 for Flat Fronts and +7.5 - 8 on Pleated.

I assume this is total diameter? So for my 11.5 shoes and flat front pants, this would be ~17", or 8.5" measured across when laid flat?

bmf895

Reaction score

I assume this is total diameter? So for my 11.5 shoes and flat front pants, this would be ~17", or 8.5" measured across when laid flat?

I think you mean circumference or when laid flat, diameter x 2. But you've got the idea.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2/3 of the shoe length is the traditional rule. But, do whatever looks proportionate to your body and looks good with a jacket.

Last edited:

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score

Why necessarily in accord with the girth of ankles? If the pants break over the shoe, ankles are hardly ever seen. And even if so, the bagginess of a 10" opening isn't so excessive as to seem ridiculous even over a slender ankle. This, by contrast, looks ridiculous to me. This gent is apparently well known for such a look, or at least the suitorial blog from whence this image comes claims so, but for me personally, I just can't stomach it. Do I just have bad taste and everybody else loves this?

Bloke on the right - fail. If he lengthened his trousers and bought smaller shoes in a more subtle colour, he would look 1000x better.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually, trouser leg opening is proportional to waist size. If you have a larger waist, a larger opening is going to look more proportionate all other things equal (assuming you yourself are proportionate, so if you are short and stocky, have huge feet, have a pot belly, etc. then the rule might not hold as well).

Therefore, to me if you have a 34 waist you should have a 7.75 pant leg opening, 36 has an 8.0 and then scale accordingly.

Last edited:

papa kot

Reaction score
I would say that the overall geometry of the upper body, not just the waist, is a good reference point.

If you are build or have a heavier top, then slim pants may look a bit silly even if somehow they fit in the waist. Thus, you probably want pants that are on the straight/wider side. Wider pans call for more break and, in my opinion, shoes that have a more geometrically pronounced toe.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Traditionally, a man's leg opening is proportional to his shoe size, and his shoe size is proportional to ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads