• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trip to turkey

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump because I'm interested in visiting Turkey in August.

Most important question -- will Turkey be too hot to visit in August? I've read conflicting positions on this issue. I don't need it to be ideal, just bearable. I'm thinking of visiting Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Ephesus.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I was there in March so had the opposite problem. I would guess that Cappadocia will be hot, Ephesus being on the sea will be more moderate.

From upthread, I disagree with Augusto on Efes beer and staying in Sultanahmet. I would stay in Galata if I were going back. It is at the more interesting end of Istiklal, with all of the outdoor cafes. Istiklal itself is similar to the pedestrian zones in many of the second rate European cities, but the alleyways off it can be great. As for the beer, just drink imported. Wine too.

In Istanbul, eat at Mikla for swank international fine dining and Asitane for something truly unique, high end Ottoman cuisine. The touristy places up the alleys from the Sultanahmet metro stop don't have any redeeming qualities. Get meze in Galata, if you can get a table. Hit a jazz show if that's your kind of thing, they're not atrocious.

To get to Ephesus, I was glad we stayed in Selcuk instead of Kusadasi. It's not on the beach, but it's also not overwhelmed with Brits. Other towns worth staying on the North Aegean were Foca, possibly Candarli, and especially Assos.

My experience with the women was predictable.

Good luck, let me know if you want anything in more detail.

howbah

Reaction score
Stamboul:

the weird little one-stop funicular railway/elevator is cool

the Dolmabahce Palace is a must if you like Edward Gorey style 19th century oddity

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Freshly squeezed pomegranate juice. Drink as much as possible.

lefty

best advice ever. finally found some 100% pomegranate juice (not from concentrate) at the store that is imported from turkey which is a far 2nd to fresh squeezed by miles ahead of Pom and other such garbage. i miss the fresh stuff....

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Bump because I'm interested in visiting Turkey in August.

Most important question -- will Turkey be too hot to visit in August? I've read conflicting positions on this issue. I don't need it to be ideal, just bearable. I'm thinking of visiting Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Ephesus.

I doubt it, but it really does depend on which part of Turkey is in question i.e. Cappadocia i´ve noticed is warm during the day but after sunset it has a gentle breeze that makes it all the more enjoyable. Ephesus, Izmir. This Provence is also a summer destination but not as bad as the Mediterranean areas as there is less humidity although at peak it should reach 35 degrees at least i think? Istanbul, is very unbalanced, last year people were complaining about the heat, but the year before it seemed fine. The best trick I would say in any area you may visit is to not be a typical tourist and try to walk 5km´s when the sun is at peak (12pm-2pm) and to be like the locals and chill in the shade and set foot on attractions at the right time
wink.gif
Anyhow it is bearable, that i can say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads