• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't get any reported posts so I wasn't watching him, and apparently missed him until this tirade about the nose studs. If people want things to be done differently, they have to tell us.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
How does my member and me (good name for a sitcom, BTW) get mentioned in threads that we are not even a part of
confused.gif

C'mon, I can't pass up a uranus joke...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the mods and J :

I am a member of other forums that use the vBulletin's feature to thank or groan to a member's post. So the members can appraise the usefulness of someone's post.

I think this is a useful tool to distinguish the useful "Senior" members from the trollish ones ( like me for example
wink.gif
).

You can also chose the forums or threads where the post count and thank/groan rates would be counted on your general profile, so you can really for example be groaned a lot on the Current Events forum but thanked on the Men's Clothing and then your profile would reflect properly your value as a member.

What do you think about ?

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
To the mods and J :

I am a member of other forums that use the vBulletin's feature to thank or groan to a member's post. So the members can appraise the usefulness of someone's post.

I think this is a useful tool to distinguish the useful "Senior" members from the trollish ones ( like me for example
wink.gif
).

You can also chose the forums or threads where the post count and thank/groan rates would be counted on your general profile, so you can really for example be groaned a lot on the Current Events forum but thanked on the Men's Clothing and then your profile would reflect properly your value as a member.

What do you think about ?

It's a good idea, but I think it will just add to the problems in the CEsspool.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i have no problem with props and drops. Left and right will club each other in CE, but then if ppl want to cane whnay in there, and give him props over in menswear for his shoes, then it may well pan out fair. Anyhow, J's call. What has been annoying me lately is overbumping in sales. It breaks the Fokrule of the board, and it has been reported a bit lately (and squirreled earlier today - not by me), so if sellers are just going to write 'bumpbump' ad nauseum, im going to lock it. If people aren't buying after your thirtythird bump, then there is probably a reason for it...change ur price, put better pics, put measurements, something else...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Superfuture does the same with with "rep". You either can give green or red rep and then there is a little bar below your avatar that reflects it. Users with higher rep's rep is worth more. It's kinda useless though and i think it has some users trying to be extra cutting and funny to try and earn it.

I don't think it's really important or anything. I think if you're a useful member, the regulars already know you, and if you continue to be useful, then the new members will come to know you.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think maintaining the democratic nature of styleforum is important. We need a system where everyone's voice counts equally, no matter how much or how little they know about the subject, no matter whether they are givers or takers, whether they have a stake in the outcome or not.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I was proposing that because I have seen many threads in which a newbie comes and asks for advice and gets the troll/gay/moronic jokes answers...

In that way the new user, or the sporadic guest, could have a way to filter the good answers from the bad.

jkennett

Reaction score
That is really annoying that Ludeykrus' thread "Stylish Carry" was moved. I've been avoiding making pointless comments in order to just hit that "magic 100" to access current events before this, but now I'm locked from even reading a thread that I had some small participation in... I suppose the small consolation is that Ludeykrus himself is also locked from it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The other option I saw was to cut the thread into one about how to conceal weapons (and lock that one most likely) and one about gun control etc., which would also be moved to the CE forum. I didn't feel like going through the trouble to accomplish basically the same result. Sorry about that.

Re: thank/groan, prop/drop, rep etc., the best system I have found is where certain members can up-rep a certain post, and downrep posts until they disappear below a set threshold that any member can choose. Some sites have it where if a post gets below 0 it is not visible to the public, but a registered user can set their threshold for viewing to -1 or -2 and see all the trolling. It definitely keeps the discussions there more productive, but I haven't found an easy way to do that here yet. If I find one, I will most likely install it.

I don't think that rep per poster really helps much of anything except some people's egos, unfortunately, so I haven't enabled it on here. It's a standard feature of vBulletin though.

Reuters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The other option I saw was to cut the thread into one about how to conceal weapons (and lock that one most likely) and one about gun control etc., which would also be moved to the CE forum. I didn't feel like going through the trouble to accomplish basically the same result. Sorry about that.

Re: thank/groan, prop/drop, rep etc., the best system I have found is where certain members can up-rep a certain post, and downrep posts until they disappear below a set threshold that any member can choose. Some sites have it where if a post gets below 0 it is not visible to the public, but a registered user can set their threshold for viewing to -1 or -2 and see all the trolling. It definitely keeps the discussions there more productive, but I haven't found an easy way to do that here yet. If I find one, I will most likely install it.

I don't think that rep per poster really helps much of anything except some people's egos, unfortunately, so I haven't enabled it on here. It's a standard feature of vBulletin though.

I found this feature particularly useful in keeping the forums clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads