• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest!

Who has the best list of sports watches under $1K?

• MZHammer

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • kulata

• Hayward

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • CMT1

• Tsujigiri

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Wes Bourne

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • johanm

• Keith T

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johanm

Reaction score

This is a valid perspective, but it's the perspective of a hobbyist. Granted, this is a hobbyist site, but some guys just want to look nice, and some guys want to dip their toes. That's valid as well. I've worked with a lot of people, and I've seen a lot of people develop over the years on this forum. A lot of them started by using lists like the ones in this contest as a starting point.

This contest is meant for a bit of fun, to challenge you watch guys, and to help noobs get started. It's not comprehensive, obviously, but even the language used in some of the entries give a noob a starting point.

I think some posters who have been through the trial-and-error process with watches at different price points view this thread as kind of the wrong question, kind of like "what are the top 5 leather jackets that retail for <$300" or something (to which the correct answer is spend more or pass on a leather jacket). I would save up so you can increase the budget by 100%. Lots more options around the $2k price point, including by reputable German brands like Sinn, Nomos, and Max Bill.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some posters who have been through the trial-and-error process with watches at different price points view this thread as kind of the wrong question, kind of like "what are the top 5 leather jackets that retail for <$300" or something (to which the correct answer is spend more or pass on a leather jacket). I would save up so you can increase the budget by 100%. Lots more options around the $2k price point, including by reputable German brands like Sinn, Nomos, and Max Bill.

As someone who has been an enthusiast of watches far longer than clothes I'll agree 2k gives you more options but for someone first looking for a watch 1K can be a HUGE hurdle the first time. I'd argue that for those initially looking for a good watch there's enough variety under 1K from reputable companies to make it valid. Just like moving from 2k to 4k gives you a much wider net of value.

We can debate going preowned, vintage grey market or whatever to get more value just as easily as increasing the budget but in the end it comes down to what an individual wants to spend and how much they want to risk.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Resurrecting this in order to submit a late entry. Mainly trying to give Fok (and other potential watch enthusiasts) some more ideas to consider....since I'm all about spreading the watch obsession :devil: There have been many great suggestions posted, some real "poor man's classics" like the Stowa Airman, Vostok Amphibia, etc...lots of variety, lots of great choices. And I agree that $1K is rather arbitrary, but you do have to have some monetary basis for discussion. Heck, many of these watches are well below that ceiling, and you could even grab more than one! #ENABLER Just as personal preference, I did not list any micro-brands, although many of them are excellent values. I also favor automatics, but not exclusively. Also note: pics are not mine, just some cool watch photos ripped from the web, so all credit goes to the original photographers/posters. So here we go....in no particular order.... 1.) Seiko SNZH53 - about $150 (Amazon). The Sumo and 007 are already mentioned here, and honestly you could just list 5 different Seiko divers and have quite a legitimate entry. They make some great pieces, with solid (in-house) movements, and I have an Orange Monster that gets plenty of wrist time. But I'm actually going to suggest this blue-dialed beauty, sized at 42mm, with an acrylic bezel insert. A lot of guys modify this watch, but I say it has plenty of "diver's swag" as-is. It's depth-rated to 330 ft. for those blistering days at your local water park. Sold on bracelet, but looks great on different strap options. 2.) Hamilton Khaki Officer - about $700 (Overstock) This one is a big-boy 44mm, a solid piece with an easy to grasp crown, riveted strap, and a great instant-patina look. The black dialed version comes with a nice rust-colored suede strap, but I might personally opt for the tan/bronze dial to switch things up. Both are pretty sweet. Hamilton is now part of Swatch group, but it is a well-respected American brand with true military heritage. I handled one of these at a local AD a couple months ago, and came away impressed. 3.) Citizen Nighthawk - about $275 (Amazon) - There's a reason this one is oft-recommended on the watch forums. Great bracelet, super BLUE lume to light up your...um...cockpit...and 24 hr. functionality courtesy of two little planes (!) that circle the dial. The rotating E6B flight computer bezel is realistically not going to see much use, but it does offers some visual interest and more....attitude. 4.) Victorinox Infantry Alliance - $695 (Princeton Watches) Putting this one out there as a modern "field watch" option. I like the silver dial with greenish lume, and the wearable 40mm size. A stitched strap may not be for everyone, but I dig it and the quality is pretty good on this one. Watch Time magazine recently reviewed this and gave it an unfair, lukewarm 74. They were way too harsh on the 'basic' ETA movement and the polished bezel. (Those aren't bugs, they're features! LOL). I really believe this watch would also be appropriate for most any business casual office. 5.) Seiko SNDA65 - about $125 (Amazon) Last, but not least! Yes, another Seiko-- but pretty much a steal given that it's a quartz movement. As they say, everybody needs at least one grab-and-go watch, right? It's got that hip, murdered-out black PVD vibe. This one is 43 mm, and boasts a 1/20 second chronograph, which means that the top sub-dial whizzes like a demon when it's engaged (see video below). This would look killer on a NATO/Zulu with an orange stripe, or even better on a green canvas strap for some texture and contrast. And given that this is already a lengthy post, I'll throw in a bonus pic of my TWAT's favorite watch fairy...mildly NSFW:

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of these. Terrific watch. Beautifully crafted with an in-house movement. This gets my vote as best under $1000.

5- cool/different colored dial: Seiko Alpinist SARB017 $432

Brian SD

Reaction score
What do the watch guys think of Point Tec's Junkers F-13?

I know nothing about watches myself but going over $700 or $800 is too big a hurdle for me at the moment, but I would like something stylish and automatic. Was just browsing some watches locally and thought this was the best looking one they had.

It's just under $600 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great choices in this thread. Here is my contribution.

1) Squale 50 atmos

A watch with great looks, and an even greater history, the 50 atmos is one of the most attractive and well-made non-homage dive watches under 1K. The caseis excellent (not to mention iconic), and the dial/hands are a nod to some of the best dive watches of the past.

2) CWC GS NAVIGATOR WATCH W/DATE

A no-frills, no-nonsense quartz field watch. It's decently built (in Switzerland, if that matters to you) and it the dial and domed acrylic really set off the vintage appeal of the piece.

3) Stowa Flieger

The Stowa flieger has a bit of a sordid history, but it's hard denying that it's a hell of a good-looking watch. Assembled and hand finished in Germany, The Flieger comes with temperature-blued hands from Universo (they make hands for Breguet), a dial printed by Schatzle, and some of the best customer service around.

4) Mk II Nassau

In recent years, I've tried to stay away from homage watches, but there are a few that are so good and so well-made that I have to make the exception. The MkII Nassau is one of those watches. I won't get into the history behind the MK II brand, but I will say that you get far more than what you pay for. The MK II Nassau is an homage to the iconic 6538 “James Bond” model (and the brother of the limited Kingston) and it gets the details just right.
http://wornandwound.com/2013/04/10/mkii-nassau-review/

5) G-Shock DW5600E

It's cheap, it's durable, and it'll last you a long time.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picking ones not mentioned (because a lot of good ones are). Make sure not to count VAT:

I kind of dig the new Tutimas even though they are getting mixed reviews. I believe their new pilot can be had for less than 1k.

http://tutima.com/wp-tutima/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sshow_Tutima_6101_02_Image.jpg

Stowa does have great pilots but what about Laco? They also have some history and they have nice 45mm brushed steel version.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Laco-45mm-Typ-A-Flieger-Handaufzug-(new-pics)

Steinhart Marine Officer Blue and Bronze.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/Marine-Officer-Blue,428.html

Something smaller, just barely over the limit, Sinn 556A.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-556-A-on-Strap-18p1542.htm

And for my cheap knockoff...Marine Militare with a California dial.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll186/louiekoh/R0013770.jpg

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do the watch guys think of Point Tec's Junkers F-13?

I know nothing about watches myself but going over $700 or $800 is too big a hurdle for me at the moment, but I would like something stylish and automatic. Was just browsing some watches locally and thought this was the best looking one they had.

It's just under $600 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Isn't this just trying too hard to be a BP?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads