• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford marketing revealed

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
I thought Tom Ford's marketing strategy was to hire women, have them shave their private places, and then cover said private places with his products.

Didn't one ad have... topiary... in the shape of a Gucci G when Ford was desiging for them?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
I thought Tom Ford's marketing strategy was to hire women, have them shave their private places, and then cover said private places with his products.

Pictures?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by set you free
Tom Ford has developed a revolutionary, innovative marketing technique to sell his goods.

He gives his clothing to good looking celebrities and makes sure the clothing is properly tailored so that the celebrities look good when photographed. This tricks not-so-good-looking rich people into thinking that if they buy clothes from Tom Ford, they will look as good as the celebrities. But it is false.

In a newspaper article he mentioned that he learned this trick from his clubbing days. Club managers would let in good looking young women for free, and the women would lure the rich bankers who would spend lots of money on overpriced bottles and table service. Tom grasped this significance of this device and applied it to clothing sales.

Tom Ford is a genius, and now you know how he does it.

Wait....you mean so if I buy all of these brands I won't look like the people in the ads??? Or that I cannot aspire to be like the people in them?
Holy ****...you've uncovered a huge scam that is called MARKETING!

gucci.png

gucci_shot1.jpg

DiorHommeSpring-Summer2007AdCamp-1.jpg

pharrell-louis-vuitton-ad-2006.jpg

tomford11.jpg

Prada%20Spring-Summer%202007%20Ad%20Campaign.preview.JPG

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2346/...e667e1.jpg?v=0

set you free

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Wait....you mean so if I buy all of these brands I won't look like the people in the ads??? Or that I cannot aspire to be like the people in them? Holy ****...you've uncovered a huge scam that is called MARKETING!
Tom Ford deserves the credit for thinking of this, not me. I just want to help people understand how they are being manipulated so they can become better consumers.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Tom Ford deserves the credit for thinking of this, not me. I just want to help people understand how they are being manipulated so they can become better consumers.

You realize that this is nothing new...hence the sarcasm of my post.

Material Boy

Reaction score
I am not so sure that Tom Ford's marketing strategy is revolutionary or innovative.

Nike, Addias and many other employed similiar types of marketing technique: paying millions to well-known athletes to wear their product. The masses, especially our teenagers, were led to believe they will look "cool" if they buy something similiar.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this ad. There's nothing manlier than a guy yelling at a naked woman grabbing his junk. This guy gets extra manliness points for refusing to make eye contact with the woman he's yelling at while puffing a cigar and drinking a beer.
tomford2-thumb.jpeg

daft

Reaction score

genius.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, Tom Ford and Thom Browne are nothing alike.

Tom Ford's strategy is based on convincing rich people that if they buy Tom Ford products they will look as good as the good looking people who are given Tom Ford products.
Thom Brown's strategy is based on convincing people that if they buy Thom Browne products, they will look no more ridiculous than the good looking models made to look ridiculous in Thom Browne clothing, so strangers will assume that they to, despite their ridiculous appearance, are really good looking underneath their Thom Browne clothes.

EUREKA!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads