• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifters: How do you fix a price tag puncture in shirt fabric?

coffeecupman

Reaction score
Hmm, found a thread elsewhere recommending an underside application of an iron on patch deal called Stitch Witchery:

http://www.thetfp.com/tfp/tilted-knowledge-how/48212-fix-small-hole-dress-shirt.html

But people said the iron temps required to set the adhesive borders burning the fabric.

This might be what I've been looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-Fabric-Fusion-Permanent-Adhesive/dp/B00178QSE6/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Normally used for people who can't sew, but should be a glue that will prevent a small hole from fraying, and it is designed to be more fabric-friendly than super glue.

Another option is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Fabri-...-Ounce/dp/B00178MNFO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

But a reviewer warned that the Fabri-Tac is not dry cleanable, and I intend to dry clean these shirts. The Aleene's Fabric Fusion states dry cleanable right on the label.

I will indeed steam the shirts first to even out the threads before applying any fabric glues, but as I said before, several threads have been broken. I'm not sure you guys mean to suggest that a steamer will rejoin broken threads. The grain on the BB fabric of these shirts was too small to be pierced harmlessly by these particular clunky tags.

Perhaps working to take care of your shirts and make them last longer isn't very baller - but I view it as training for when I'm eventually going to be caring for shirts much more valuable than Brooks Brothers. Might as well learn the chops (and make the mistakes) on the disposable stuff.

ccm

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton dress shirts aren't generally dry cleaned. You may take them to a dry cleaners, but they will launder them.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
High Skill Alterations – Expensive ... not really worth it for $5 thrifted shirts, is it? Could be a $100 repair on something that's only $80 new.

What is this word, "expensive"? I thought you guys were all ballers.

Yeah, I was just saying it wasn't even an option. I mentioned that it can't be done, in case someone were to suggest it.

ccm

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All due respect ccm, time spent posting on this thread/mulling options over a tiny hole < cost of savings on thrifted shirt

I was in a courtroom last week when someone used that phrase while speaking to the judge. He interrupted her and said, "I've found over the years that when people say, "With all due respect...", they usually mean exactly the opposite!"

Since it wasn't a daytime reality TV courtroom, I resisted the urge to laugh out loud.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
All due respect ccm, time spent posting on this thread/mulling options over a tiny hole < cost of savings on thrifted shirt

Hi Spoo.

I get that, but I'm not exactly in a typical situation - I'm working on ships for 4wks at a time. Time on the internet is not something I am short of.

Despite this, although the clothing I am working on was acquired cheaply, I am using the cheap clothing to develop skill sets. So that someday, when I am buying $800+ shirts, I will know from experience how to take care of them/address uncommon problems.

When later in life it is not a thrifted shirt, and something punctures it, I want to know what to do. Looks from the replies like I'll be figuring it out on my own anyway - but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this first. If not on SF, after all, where else?

I polish my Corcoran steel toe work shoes with Saphir. Not because they need to shine like no other - but because I don't want to make my learner mistakes on Vass, etc - and out here I have the time to practice.

ccm

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi Spoo.

I get that, but I'm not exactly in a typical situation - I'm working on ships for 4wks at a time.  Time on the internet is not something I am short of. 

Despite this, although the clothing I am working on was acquired cheaply, I am using the cheap clothing to develop skill sets.  So that someday, when I am buying $800+ shirts, I will know from experience how to take care of them/address uncommon problems.  

When later in life it is not a thrifted shirt, and something punctures it, I want to know what to do.  Looks from the replies like I'll be figuring it out on my own anyway - but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this first.  If not on SF, after all, where else?

I polish my Corcoran steel toe work shoes with Saphir.  Not because they need to shine like no other - but because I don't want to make my learner mistakes on Vass, etc - and out here I have the time to practice. 

ccm

Thanks for offering a perspective I hadn't considered. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way - but I understand your view now.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
I was in a courtroom last week when someone used that phrase while speaking to the judge. He interrupted her and said, "I've found over the years that when people say, "With all due respect...", they usually mean exactly the opposite!"
Since it wasn't a daytime reality TV courtroom, I resisted the urge to laugh out loud.

Anyone with less than 5000 posts who goes looking for respect on Styleforum deserves all he gets.

I'm hear to read and ask questions about clothes.

ccm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads