• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things your dumb friends post on facebook

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone jumped on ****** because I noted that this photo, on the cursory inspection we give to most photos on our timeline, looks a tad illicit.

It's tilapia, not heroin.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a friend who writes a feminist blog (and is often featured on more prominent feminist blogs). Usually her stuff is fairly level headed, but today she posted this message from an OK Cupid person:

Several of the commenters are in agreement that this is some terrible shallow sexist message worthy of shaming (like one of those "u like the dick?" messages).

I don't see it. Because a man is offering to spoil a woman? Seriously? If she's not into it, she doesn't have to respond but this is not some terrible sexist comment or tactless sexual advance.

edit: there is one guy in the comments trying to call her out saying things like
"Publicly shaming and/or ridiculing someone because their approach doesn't measure up to your expectations is pretty shallow. if you're not interested, you don't have to reply. You don't need to publicly ridicule the person, especially by including their picture and screen name."
to which someone responded by removing the picture and screen name (must have been in a separate comment)
and the guy said
"That's good that you took it down, but keep in mind that even on a site like OKC there is an expectation that a private message to someone is a private message for that person. It was not intended for the world. (If it was on a public profile, that's another story.) Would you want someone publicly posting something that you sent to someone privately - especially if it is implying that you're some kind of loser?"

All good...but then another guy comes along and says this:
"As a man on OKCupid I think if I say stupid, nerdy things I wouldn't want that public. However, sexist or even slightly sexist or otherwise offensive messages are another matter completely. I feel like the "someone who could spoil you a little" buts it in another category were it moves closer to the PSA end of the public ridicule spectrum."

WTF? How does what he said warrant a PSA to warn other women? I don't think Sugar Daddy or Sugar Momma relationships have to be inherantly sexist...

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I have a friend who writes a feminist blog (and is often featured on more prominent feminist blogs). Usually her stuff is fairly level headed, but today she posted this message from an OK Cupid person:

Several of the commenters are in agreement that this is some terrible shallow sexist message worthy of shaming (like one of those "u like the dick?" messages).

I don't see it. Because a man is offering to spoil a woman? Seriously? If she's not into it, she doesn't have to respond but this is not some terrible sexist comment or tactless sexual advance.

Depends on what he means by "jack".

Damn, this is like the 5th otc message I've replied to today. I swear I'm not e-stalking you.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see this kind of behavior frequently from people who are unshakably certain of their own righteousness. Once they have sovereingly decided that another person has evil in his heart, they feel they can disburden themselves of all basic obligations of decency and mutual respect, as long as it might serve to teach others a moral lesson.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lol:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Was that on the SoCal shooter's FB?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thoughts while on the bus today in Slovakia (while watching 2 children talk to their grandpa in sign language - It just dawned on me! We should all learn sign language! Imagine how much more wonderful the world would be if we all somehow spoke the same language. Or wait, do the signs differ per country, too? Hmmm...

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts while on the bus today in Slovakia (while watching 2 children talk to their grandpa in sign language - It just dawned on me! We should all learn sign language! Imagine how much more wonderful the world would be if we all somehow spoke the same language. Or wait, do the signs differ per country, too? Hmmm...

It's like the square root of a million… we must never know.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually, I thought the exact same thing very recently..

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it weird that I sometimes get an urge to paste some of the ridiculous **** posted here onto my facebook status just to see how my friends respond?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads