• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you just don't get

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get the whole "everybody is beautiful" validation thing. It's untrue.
We're evolutionary programmed to respond to certain things, and while there are some variations in how we react, some people are indeed more physically attractive than others. The thing to teach kids is not that everyone is beautiful- which even 5 year olds know is bullshit. You need to teach them that not everybody is attractive, that it's okay to be unattractive, that you shouldn't draw your worth from your physical appearance. Show them a picture of Janet Yellen- she is not, and never has been an attractive woman, but she worked and studied hard, and became one of the most powerful people on the planet by using her brain. Tell them that even the most beautiful people usually turn ugly as they get old, and that they need to stay in school so they can get a job where attractiveness is irrelevant. Don't validate, empower.

True … but "everybody counts". I learned that in elementary school. There's even a nifty little ditty that goes along with it that I can still sing to this day! :plain:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

when did nostalgia become a thing? it seems like all we do culturally is pine backwards. the most anticipated movie of the year is ******* Star Wars (and before that 007)...

did postwar americans pine for the good old days of the Great Depression? in the Renaissance did they pine for the plague? or are we just super unimaginative pessimistic assholes?

Yes. Woody Allen made a decent movie about exactly this phenomena a few years ago.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of people of are hell of pissed that DeMarco Murray be called out the Cowboys' plays during their recent contest think it showed lack of morals and integerty. What is he supposed to do, say "Hey I recelnize that play they're about to run but out of loyalty to the team I used to play for I will not give my current team no avannelge."

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like a lot of people of are hell of pissed that DeMarco Murray be called out the Cowboys' plays during their recent contest think it showed lack of morals and integerty. What is he supposed to do, say "Hey I recelnize that play they're about to run but out of loyalty to the team I used to play for I will not give my current team no avannelge."

Serious question … do you know anyone else who uses this construction " hell of pissed" with an adjective as opposed to "hell of a game" or "that was a hell of a show"?

I knew this American dude in Taiwan who said that people said this… "hell of cool", "hell of pissed"… yet I've never heard a single person say this, anywhere. I live in LA, have traveled the world and that was 7 years ago… you are the first.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's interesting… never seen that comic before! Honestly, I believed only dudes in NorCal spoke that way.

OK this is seriously ridiculous though… 5,000 people "saved" $55 on this ****? I'm at a loss for words here.

^ Who wrote this ******* copy?

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Serious question … do you know anyone else who uses this construction " hell of pissed" with an adjective as opposed to "hell of a game" or "that was a hell of a show"?

I knew this American dude in Taiwan who said that people said this… "hell of cool", "hell of pissed"… yet I've never heard a single person say this, anywhere. I live in LA, have traveled the world and that was 7 years ago… you are the first.

That's funny because my wife's folks still live in the LA area and I've only heard people use "hella" over there. Usually it's young Asian males

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when did nostalgia become a thing? it seems like all we do culturally is pine backwards. the most anticipated movie of the year is ******* Star Wars (and before that 007)...

did postwar americans pine for the good old days of the Great Depression? in the Renaissance did they pine for the plague? or are we just super unimaginative pessimistic assholes?

Guess what people did before cell phones, social media and the internet

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's funny because my wife's folks still live in the LA area and I've only heard people use "hella" over there. Usually it's young Asian males

Right. I mean I thought if I would hear it, LA certainly presents good odds. As I added before though, I remember that guy being from near San Fran, so I thought it was more NorCal. The difference was between saying "hella" which I know vs. "hell of" which is different in the usage we mentioned.

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Way back when I was in college, "hell of" (generally pronounced "hella") was regularly used by surfer/valley girl/douchebro/hipster as an intensifier for descriptive terms. E.g., "she was hella pissed", "that Melrose Place episode was hella sad", etc.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty sure it was an east bay thing back in the 80s. my young cousins used to say "hecka"

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member