• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have dreams on occasion that can affect my mood the entire morning. I can certainly see why people in the past look upon it with a mystical perspective. Hell, sometimes I do.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dreamed that a distant relative, who looked rather like Logan Roy/Brian Cox, died and left me a combo bike shop/men’s clothing store. When I woke up I had just started a DM thread with Fok about becoming a Styleforum affiliate :confused2:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dreamt I ate a giant marshmallow. When I woke up my pillow was gone

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m 34 now. And I’m getting old(er). It feels weird to think back to 2008 when I first joined here and was 19. What the ****.

My values and priorities have changed and I’ve become so much more discerning with my friendships and relationships.

I just recently ended a friendship with my best friend of 15 years+ because we grew apart, lifestyle wise, but more importantly, because I got sick and tired of his selfishness (he’s a conversational narcissist). Hanging out with him became unfulfilling.

I also don’t know if I want to have kids. I have bad genes that I’d feel horrible passing down. I have a progressive neurodegenerative disorder called Essential Tremor that I got diagnosed with last year. It completely turned my life upside down, again.

Getting older is tough, man.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m 34 now. And I’m getting old(er). It feels weird to think back to 2008 when I first joined here and was 19. What the ****.

My values and priorities have changed and I’ve become so much more discerning with my friendships and relationships.

I just recently ended a friendship with my best friend of 15 years+ because we grew apart, lifestyle wise, but more importantly, because I got sick and tired of his selfishness (he’s a conversational narcissist). Hanging out with him became unfulfilling.

I also don’t know if I want to have kids. I have bad genes that I’d feel horrible passing down. I have a progressive neurodegenerative disorder called Essential Tremor that I got diagnosed with last year. It completely turned my life upside down, again.

So this is kind of weird to read...
2008 is when I had to make a complete career change because the financial collapse caused me to lose a job with a company I thought I'd retire with.
I recently cut ties with a life long friend because in a nutshell he's a January 6th insurrectionist type who was just too lazy to go, and I don't want white nationalist racists in my life.
Also, I'm the last of my name with no kids and tease my sister with "the line dies with me!!" ( and it will )

Cheers

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So this is kind of weird to read...
2008 is when I had to make a complete career change because the financial collapse caused me to lose a job with a company I thought I'd retire with.
I recently cut ties with a life long friend because in a nutshell he's a January 6th insurrectionist type who was just too lazy to go, and I don't want white nationalist racists in my life.
Also, I'm the last of my name with no kids and tease my sister with "the line dies with me!!" ( and it will )

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your friend. I can honestly see myself living a life of solitude. I’ve become increasingly bitter and jaded about the world and think most people are just selfish *****.

It’s always a breath of fresh air when I meet someone who seems genuine, kind, truly empathetic, and reciprocal in effort.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good to hear from you, GreenFrog. Having a narcissist close to you is soul-sucking, so I'm glad you ended it.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I'll say this as someone who got diagnosed with an incurable autoimmune disease this year and has a 9 month old.

I wouldn't try to talk sharing into or out of having kids other than to say having my daughter has been an absolute delight. Are there tough and frustrating days? Yes absolutely. However there's just something I've really enjoyed about it that I can't quite explain. However, getting a kid doesn't really interfere with any of my other interests or anything either so there's not much of a lifestyle cost.

Add for the disease, I am an optimist. There is a lot of promise in these forms of diseases. In fact German scientists were able to get 100% remission in lupus patients recently. Furthermore, so you know if it is genetic? If it is, we're are the odds it passes on?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's incredible how the medical management of autoimmune diseases has improved over the past twenty years.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well we aren’t your friends here.

We are the StyFo fambly. Cheer up, you’re still breathing and by the looks of the car threak still doing ok in life.
:cheers:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being maudlin, I remember sitting with my dad at the age of 100 before he passed. We were looking at old photographs and one was him and my Mom and the (then) dog right after they moved to the retirement town where they would spend the rest of their lives. "Ah, look at us so young!" he said. "Everything was wonderful then!" He would have been about 67 in the photo.

Don't know what my point is -- life can be good for longer than you expect, I guess? And it's all relative.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good to hear from you, GreenFrog. Having a narcissist close to you is soul-sucking, so I'm glad you ended it.
Thanks - good to see a lot of the familiar faces. Brings me back to a much simpler time.And yes, he's not a full blown narcissist (his older brother, OTOH..), but he has some minor narcissist tendencies.

I'll say this as someone who got diagnosed with an incurable autoimmune disease this year and has a 9 month old.

I wouldn't try to talk sharing into or out of having kids other than to say having my daughter has been an absolute delight. Are there tough and frustrating days? Yes absolutely. However there's just something I've really enjoyed about it that I can't quite explain. However, getting a kid doesn't really interfere with any of my other interests or anything either so there's not much of a lifestyle cost.

Add for the disease, I am an optimist. There is a lot of promise in these forms of diseases. In fact German scientists were able to get 100% remission in lupus patients recently. Furthermore, so you know if it is genetic? If it is, we're are the odds it passes on?
Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry to hear about your condition. Is it something that impacts your day-to-day life? My condition is hereditary and has a 50% chance of being passed on to kids. My dad has it, for instance. Though his progression seems to have been so slow so as to be unnoticeable and has plateaued. He didn't even know he had it until I found out about mine and asked him to try some movements that easily induce the tremor.

I do try to be an optimist about the condition because there is some research going on for some drugs targeting this, but I also get discouraged by the fact that ET is the most common movement disorder in the world, yet very little progress has been made in the past 50 decades. Scientists still don't even know what causes it and because it's not a disease that kills you, it's arguably a lower priority to the medical community.

My current level of tremor is actually not very bad. People don't even notice it (yet); only I can perceive it. And in retrospect, I've had this for many years looking back at some symptoms. I just attributed the shakes to situational circumstances, like being hungover or being tapped out from the gym. But when I see people who've had it for decades where they are functionally disabled (can't eat or drink because they shake too much), it really gets me down. It's not a guarantee I'll get to that point, but it's a progressive disorder, so it's pretty much guaranteed it will get worse as I get older.

Some invasive treatments I may pursue if it gets to that point include DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) where they implant an electrode in your brain and hook it up to a battery in your chest, almost like a pacemaker. That, or focused ultrasound, where they use a high powered ultrasound machine to ablate a portion of your brain, which comes with scary side effects, like slurred speech, aphasia, etc.

But yes, you're right. I try to stay optimistic and hopeful that there will be some groundbreaking discoveries in the next decade or so where I can take a medication that squashes the symptoms without any major side effects. That would be the dream.
Well we aren’t your friends here.

We are the StyFo fambly. Cheer up, you’re still breathing and by the looks of the car threak still doing ok in life.
:cheers:
Thanks and lol, did you mean we ARE your friends here? I might be interested in meeting some folks IRL. Are there any meets? I live in NYC.

And yep, the only area in my life I'm very proud of is my work. I'm doing very well professionally and financially, and I'm very grateful for that. But it's all superficial **** that ultimately doesn't matter compared to the more intangibles, like your health and family / love / relationships. I'd eagerly trade my current situation to have my sister and health back.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being maudlin, I remember sitting with my dad at the age of 100 before he passed. We were looking at old photographs and one was him and my Mom and the (then) dog right after they moved to the retirement town where they would spend the rest of their lives. "Ah, look at us so young!" he said. "Everything was wonderful then!" He would have been about 67 in the photo.

Don't know what my point is -- life can be good for longer than you expect, I guess? And it's all relative.
You bet :wow:

brokencycle

Reaction score
Thanks - good to see a lot of the familiar faces. Brings me back to a much simpler time.And yes, he's not a full blown narcissist (his older brother, OTOH..), but he has some minor narcissist tendencies.

Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry to hear about your condition. Is it something that impacts your day-to-day life? My condition is hereditary and has a 50% chance of being passed on to kids. My dad has it, for instance. Though his progression seems to have been so slow so as to be unnoticeable and has plateaued. He didn't even know he had it until I found out about mine and asked him to try some movements that easily induce the tremor.

I do try to be an optimist about the condition because there is some research going on for some drugs targeting this, but I also get discouraged by the fact that ET is the most common movement disorder in the world, yet very little progress has been made in the past 50 decades. Scientists still don't even know what causes it and because it's not a disease that kills you, it's arguably a lower priority to the medical community.

My current level of tremor is actually not very bad. People don't even notice it (yet); only I can perceive it. And in retrospect, I've had this for many years looking back at some symptoms. I just attributed the shakes to situational circumstances, like being hungover or being tapped out from the gym. But when I see people who've had it for decades where they are functionally disabled (can't eat or drink because they shake too much), it really gets me down. It's not a guarantee I'll get to that point, but it's a progressive disorder, so it's pretty much guaranteed it will get worse as I get older.

Some invasive treatments I may pursue if it gets to that point include DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) where they implant an electrode in your brain and hook it up to a battery in your chest, almost like a pacemaker. That, or focused ultrasound, where they use a high powered ultrasound machine to ablate a portion of your brain, which comes with scary side effects, like slurred speech, aphasia, etc.

But yes, you're right. I try to stay optimistic and hopeful that there will be some groundbreaking discoveries in the next decade or so where I can take a medication that squashes the symptoms without any major side effects. That would be the dream.

Thanks and lol, did you mean we ARE your friends here? I might be interested in meeting some folks IRL. Are there any meets? I live in NYC.

And yep, the only area in my life I'm very proud of is my work. I'm doing very well professionally and financially, and I'm very grateful for that. But it's all superficial **** that ultimately doesn't matter compared to the more intangibles, like your health and family / love / relationships. I'd eagerly trade my current situation to have my sister and health back.

I don't want to get into the details, but the short answer is, yes, it does affect my quality of life.

While the treatments could come in time for you (and I suspect they will unless you have a rapid degeneration), I was more importantly speaking about your potential offspring. If the disease starts in their 30s, like you, then that's 30+ years to develop new treatments. That's an incredibly long time. Here's a few things that have been developed in the last 20 years:
Laproscopic surgery
fMRIs
Lab grown blood
mRNA vaccines
A continuously delivered Parkinson's Disease treatment

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't want to get into the details, but the short answer is, yes, it does affect my quality of life.

While the treatments could come in time for you (and I suspect they will unless you have a rapid degeneration), I was more importantly speaking about your potential offspring. If the disease starts in their 30s, like you, then that's 30+ years to develop new treatments. That's an incredibly long time. Here's a few things that have been developed in the last 20 years:
Laproscopic surgery
fMRIs
Lab grown blood
mRNA vaccines
A continuously delivered Parkinson's Disease treatment

Gotcha. Same here.

As for kids and the potential for treatments/breakthroughs, it's definitely possible. But I don't know if I could live with the guilt, regardless, especially because if I do have kids, I'd probably want them before I'm 40, or only 6 years from now (and damn, even thinking about having kids at 40 sounds crazy old to me). The way ET presents itself is so highly variable and there are countless stories of people with it going on to have kids, only to see their children, aged as young as 3-6, start showing symptoms. It's heartbreaking. I couldn't live with the guilt of knowing I gave them that.

So I'd want to see a major breakthrough in the next decade to even feel comfortable entertaining the thought of kids.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads