• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

brokencycle

Reaction score
I don’t understand why cities and countries still pursue the Olympics.

The usual reasons: helps them get reelected, grift opportunities, blatant bribery, etc

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a criminal law expert here, but wouldn’t just the content of that article be enough to bring bribery and obstruction charges against those people??

No, it's all hearsay. It's enough to open an investigation.

Edit: there might be statements in there that are exceptions, or exclusions, from the hearsay rule, but they would still need to investigate and gather evidence.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand why cities and countries still pursue the Olympics.
Salt Lake City is an interesting case; it hosted in 2002, so its facilities are in good condition and upgrading will be relatively cheap. The airport is new and damn nice, and SLC itself has grown a lot in the past 20 years, so it both needs and can better support long term stuff like upgraded public transportation and extra housing. Hosting could genuinely be profitable.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From NYT Wirecutter:

After careful consideration, we no longer recommend the Sonos multiroom audio platform as the best overall choice. Sonos recently rolled out a major update to its control app that had a ton of problems, leaving its customers with a much less intuitive experience than they had before. While the company is slowly addressing some of the major issues with the new app, this is not the first time Sonos has hurt customer trust through poorly executed changes.

That said, Sonos still makes great speakers that work well within other wireless control platforms like AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and (in some cases) Bluetooth. So we are not discounting Sonos products entirely. We just no longer hold up the company’s own ecosystem as the best way to interact with the system.

Still want to try SonoPhone. My speakers are relegated to airplay only which works but defeats the purpose of the multi-room platform.
Speaking of hardware products getting fucked by their apps...

We ponied up for the $$$ Snoo smart bassinet for the baby. IMHO it is a pretty cool piece of tech and if it works for your baby, it can totally be worth it (yet to be seen how well it will work for us, but so far I'm impressed).

But somewhere in between the time where we put in the order and when it shipped, they did a big "fvck you" to everyone. Killed the dedicated Snoo app and moved everyone to the "Happiest Baby" app (that is their app for tracking other things, giving you tips, etc). Supposedly for the Snoo users, the new app is a much worse expereince.

And to make matters worse, to access all of the published features of the Snoo, you have to have a "Happiest Baby Premium" subscription. Conveniently, if you buy the Snoo direct from them (or rent it), you get a premium subscription that will last you long enough for one kid...but if you buy secondhand (or keep it for subsequent children), you are fvcked into paying $20/mo if you want to be able to fully utilize the hardware you paid an obscene amount for.

I think it is also going to really hurt the resale market on them (which is probably their ultimate goal...but is a big financial hit to any parents that planned on capturing dat residual value)...3rd party used units are inferior to the tune of at least $120 in subscription fees over the use period...plus a lot of bad press and word of mouth over this BS.

IMHO, worth an FTC complaint. They advertised features when they sold the hardware and then put them behind a paywall after the fact.

brokencycle

Reaction score

We ponied up for the $$$ Snoo smart bassinet for the baby. IMHO it is a pretty cool piece of tech and if it works for your baby, it can totally be worth it (yet to be seen how well it will work for us, but so far I'm impressed).

But somewhere in between the time where we put in the order and when it shipped, they did a big "fvck you" to everyone. Killed the dedicated Snoo app and moved everyone to the "Happiest Baby" app (that is their app for tracking other things, giving you tips, etc). Supposedly for the Snoo users, the new app is a much worse expereince.

And to make matters worse, to access all of the published features of the Snoo, you have to have a "Happiest Baby Premium" subscription. Conveniently, if you buy the Snoo direct from them (or rent it), you get a premium subscription that will last you long enough for one kid...but if you buy secondhand (or keep it for subsequent children), you are fvcked into paying $20/mo if you want to be able to fully utilize the hardware you paid an obscene amount for.

I think it is also going to really hurt the resale market on them (which is probably their ultimate goal...but is a big financial hit to any parents that planned on capturing dat residual value)...3rd party used units are inferior to the tune of at least $120 in subscription fees over the use period...plus a lot of bad press and word of mouth over this BS.

IMHO, worth an FTC complaint. They advertised features when they sold the hardware and then put them behind a paywall after the fact.

From an n of one, someone I know who had one was unhappy because the baby was a good sleeper in the snoo, but he was terrible after transitioning out. She felt that the snoo just delayed the showing through the night issue.

We've been fortunate that our daughter had sheriff through the night basically since day 1 with only a few random days.

We got screwed by the same phenomenon with snoo on our Miku monitor. They promised lifetime use of the app with sleep monitoring and alarms. They went bankrupt and acquired and not you have to pay since obscene amount to get anything but the love video feed.

We explicitly picked the not expensive camera to avoid the fee figuring we could reuse on subsequent kids.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is good info, thanks! But now I’m questioning if I have another problem (like myself) because a lot of my my problems (drops, speakers disappearing from system, inability to control playback) occur while using AirPlay
That happens to us as well. One room is randomly not listed about 20% of the time. It returns just as randomly, sometimes 30 sec later, sometimes 30 min. That didn’t happen before the update.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From an n of one, someone I know who had one was unhappy because the baby was a good sleeper in the snoo, but he was terrible after transitioning out. She felt that the snoo just delayed the showing through the night issue.

We've been fortunate that our daughter had sheriff through the night basically since day 1 with only a few random days.

We got screwed by the same phenomenon with snoo on our Miku monitor. They promised lifetime use of the app with sleep monitoring and alarms. They went bankrupt and acquired and not you have to pay since obscene amount to get anything but the love video feed.

We explicitly picked the not expensive camera to avoid the fee figuring we could reuse on subsequent kids.

Yeah, the biggest concerns for me are the transitioning out and travel. More on the latter as it seems most people have pretty good success with the "weaning" mode. But with travel (unless you can rent one at your destination), you're gonna be SOL.

We're at only night 3 of sleeping at home, but I've definitely seen it work its magic. The motion calms the baby right away. If it hears the baby start fussing, it ramps up the motion and then changes up the sounds and most of the time the baby just calms right back down and goes back to sleep. If the baby is actually hungry or something they will keep crying and the Snoo will stop trying to soothe them and be like "Ok, your turn"

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

we got the generic knock-off graco version - worked fine for 1/4 the price.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salt Lake City is an interesting case; it hosted in 2002, so its facilities are in good condition and upgrading will be relatively cheap. The airport is new and damn nice, and SLC itself has grown a lot in the past 20 years, so it both needs and can better support long term stuff like upgraded public transportation and extra housing. Hosting could genuinely be profitable.

From an infrastructure and development standpoint, I could see the Winter Olympics being a lot less of a boondoggle than the Summer games for a city: The winter games attract a much smaller crowd of spectators and athletes so a lot less temporary stuff needs to be built; a greater proportion of the events are held outside and/or in natural settings so of the stuff that gets built or improved, a lot less of it is for stadiums and arenas that will never get used again, etc.

I know there used to be some stipulations from the Olympics themselves that when considering who to award the games to, the city had to promise that a huge percentage of the facilities would be new builds, which is a total waste of $$$. IIRC, they've greatly eased up on those requirements which makes things a bit more economically and environmentally friendly.

For SLC, it probably helped that they were already growing pretty fast leading up to the games being held there so there was a need for that infrastructure development and the continued growth after the games helped them absorb it afterwards.

In the end, as dumb as all the building for the Olympics are, I'm still going to try to go and take my family to LA when the games are there in 2028.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my only regret about selling our place in Park City is that we could've lived like locals for the Olympics.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The utility company was doing some work in our ‘hood and our electricity went out exactly at noon. Not really a big deal but it’s still out and the sound of the neighbors’s generator is really making it hard to take a nap in the hammock!

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Lupin 3

Votes: 6 18.8%