• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Good for a presentation overall effect but as an outfit I only like it when it is like the turtleneck guy or the overcoat or whatever. Now Iam ok with slightly different tones if the materials are well contrasted (i.e. some texture heavy wool and a light cotton who cares if it is2 diff blacks).

...what I’m getting here is I need some white painted boots

For real though I will try a similar fit with a beige turtle neck I have. The cream/white just fits seem very appropriate for my climate which is 65 degrees (winter for me) but with palm trees. I usually track down white/cream/brown/beige outerwear instead of black/gray for this very reason

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1950's Eddie Bauer Karakoram puffer, American Giant hoodie, Schneider Rugs to Riches scarf, vintage Levis, 1950's French Foreign Legion combat boots.
IMG_5124 2.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lol Fuuma critiques are great.

re @penanceroyaltea I agree. There is not really any rhyme or reason to this thread. People post for a variety of reasons. Some for advice, others to just pop in and say "hi". Whoever is around may or may not comment. I wouldn't take anything too seriously. But you can gather some good input if you take comments with grain of salt and have an open mind.

@Rais I like that last fit. Hair good. Incidently, Vogue has started calling military-influenced stuff "war core" which is kinda freaky and unsettling.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Parker @Fuuma just my usual hair, I've been cutting it myself for around a year. My skill is just not that consistent I guess. Got sick of waiting at barbers and paying money for a haircut I didn't really like.

re: War-core I've been wearing a few actual surplus pieces a bit. Sometimes the surplus pieces feel more authentic to wear than some designer's interpretation of a bomber or field jacket sold to middle class consumers so they can play dress up.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...what I’m getting here is I need some white painted boots

For real though I will try a similar fit with a beige turtle neck I have. The cream/white just fits seem very appropriate for my climate which is 65 degrees (winter for me) but with palm trees. I usually track down white/cream/brown/beige outerwear instead of black/gray for this very reason

Literally was thinking something beige would be more in line with the margiela pic and avoid fuumas criticism. And then you said it. Great minds

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1950's Eddie Bauer Karakoram puffer, American Giant hoodie, Schneider Rugs to Riches scarf, vintage Levis, 1950's French Foreign Legion combat boots.
View attachment 1090784

I'm pretty sure the "French Foreign Legion" thing is an ebay/ vintage store upselling tactic, think they wore the same boots as the rest of the French Army haha. Cool tho. super heavy? I've been tempted to get a pair before now but worried just my luck I'd end up with a pair where the rubber sole had degraded and they'd start cracking and falling apart on me.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That could very well be @Lorcan7 , I haven't done very much research on them, I was just going by what the seller was calling them. Yes, they are by far the most substantial/heavy pieces of footwear I've ever owned/handled. This pair was in surprisingly good condition, I think you just have to keep your eyes peeled on eBay. Most definitely the first pair I would grab if the **** were to really hit the fan.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
That could very well be @Lorcan7 , I haven't done very much research on them, I was just going by what the seller was calling them. Yes, they are by far the most substantial/heavy pieces of footwear I've ever owned/handled. This pair was in surprisingly good condition, I think you just have to keep your eyes peeled on eBay. Most definitely the first pair I would grab if the **** were to really hit the fan.

I think they are doing some repros now of the old 50s models that were in nubuck leather. They were harder to break in.
As far as i know the LĂ©gionnaires have/had the same army boots than the other French soldiers. The difference is/was in the way they lace their boots:
"Laçage Rangers Légion - faire un noeud à une extrémité du lacet, passer le lacet en commençant par l'oeillet, côté boucles. Terminer en enroulant le lacet autour de la boucle la plus haute."

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they are doing some repros now of the old 50s models that were in nubuck leather. They were harder to break in.
As far as i know the LĂ©gionnaires have/had the same army boots than the other French soldiers. The difference is/was in the way they lace their boots:
"Laçage Rangers Légion - faire un noeud à une extrémité du lacet, passer le lacet en commençant par l'oeillet, côté boucles. Terminer en enroulant le lacet autour de la boucle la plus haute."
Cool! I did not know that. Here's the boots in question:
K3MbF3qpSy6W0CyrY36ssQ.jpg

zk1ldgYyRcyLu1ceelspfA.jpg

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Feet don't go with knit, please purchase new feet from darkweb.

lol I've been trying, but if it makes you feel any better, I was wearing Crocs that are shoved under the table just out of frame. And the same jeans as nicelynice, go figure.

Knit looks comfy. Who makes it?

It's a vintage, untagged, handknit one I thrifted at least 10 years ago, sorry.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Not sure this applies because you say "cream denim" but the shirt and denim seem too close yet slightly differenciated in colour which never works properly.

If you want to take to heart (not sure you need to, TBH) critique that you're too buff for some styles I guess this outfit/proportions would be the way to dress.

Are slacks and jacket part of an ensemble and the lighting is misleading? Otherwise, same as Regis, they look yet ever so slightly contrasted. Maybe this is too "thought out" with the blueX2 brownX2 theme.

I'd like to see you wear your jeans/slacks unrolled and even slightly pooling. Your rolls aren't offensive because you wear relatively large bottoms.

NO ROLLING TIGHT PENTZ TO SHOW OFF ANKLE BOOTS, THAT IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL!!!
Ok, but how else are you supposed to force people to look at your fun socks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads