• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@kindofyoung That is a good one. Clean and minimalist overall, with the stacks on trousers running counter to that in a good way for me. Nice cut on the trousers too.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

I think when you've finally found a groove it's ok to settle in and enjoy it for a little while... but ultimately we're only growing as long as we're changing. Stagnation is death.

This might be true in terms of personal development, but in terms of clothes, it doesn't matter if you "grow" or not. All of this stuff is inconsequential and ultimately meaningless. The only real measure of value is if you're deriving enjoyment out of it or not.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
but don't you enjoy where you're at more than where you were? And would you be where you are now if you hadn't tried to move from where you were? I see clothing as a form of self-expression and as a tool to uncover or develop the self and when an authentic experience is achieved, ie your clothes match who you are, then that's enjoyment. That, and the enjoyment of trying something new and it having the intended effect. Whether the effect is to blend in amongst people of a different group, or to discover something new about yourself, etc. So I think there's enjoyment to be had by both standing still as well as trying new things, and my original point was that there are always ups and downs, the contendness thread and the recent purchases thread but the show must go on. Either adapt or die, keep moving forward and trying new things or get left behind. Happiness is all relative and that little bit of dissatisfaction, that back of the mind tickle that says it wasn't good enough, or someone else is better, or I'm bored and want the excitement of some more risk, etc is what keeps us waking up tomorrow to try and do it again, but better than today. The same thing today brings us less joy tomorrow. So we must keep moving forward!

And if you're going to be as large scale existential as to say well it's all meaningless anyway, well sure, but i can't argue with that. The meaning only happens becuase we choose to make it meaningful. Are clothes 'important', well not really, but then again who cares about painting and music and landscaping, etc. There's something inside us that emotionally connects to these expressions and that makes them 'meaningful'.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i don't think you should approach a hobby rooted in consumption as if it were some sort of self improvement. refining your style doesn't build character. you don't need to change your style if you're content with it.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Luxire/Big John/Novesta

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Cotton Dockers @Dirty Denim Thanks for the thoughts on the bottom half. Good points. Higher rise and/or more flowy both sound good to me. I've got a couple of options there I think and it's a direction I'm interested in.

@Baron This is the hat.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tgaith77

Reaction score
but don't you enjoy where you're at more than where you were? And would you be where you are now if you hadn't tried to move from where you were? I see clothing as a form of self-expression and as a tool to uncover or develop the self and when an authentic experience is achieved, ie your clothes match who you are, then that's enjoyment. That, and the enjoyment of trying something new and it having the intended effect. Whether the effect is to blend in amongst people of a different group, or to discover something new about yourself, etc. So I think there's enjoyment to be had by both standing still as well as trying new things, and my original point was that there are always ups and downs, the contendness thread and the recent purchases thread but the show must go on. Either adapt or die, keep moving forward and trying new things or get left behind. Happiness is all relative and that little bit of dissatisfaction, that back of the mind tickle that says it wasn't good enough, or someone else is better, or I'm bored and want the excitement of some more risk, etc is what keeps us waking up tomorrow to try and do it again, but better than today. The same thing today brings us less joy tomorrow. So we must keep moving forward!

And if you're going to be as large scale existential as to say well it's all meaningless anyway, well sure, but i can't argue with that. The meaning only happens becuase we choose to make it meaningful. Are clothes 'important', well not really, but then again who cares about painting and music and landscaping, etc. There's something inside us that emotionally connects to these expressions and that makes them 'meaningful'.
This is where I stopped reading

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads