• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I missed the Sage de Cret fishtail again.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MOK DMs are making me nostalgic.

Thinking of copping a pair....just like the old days at university.

I lived in them at university, stopped wearing them for about 15yrs, then re-discovered their joy. Yes the cheap leather will cut your feet whilst you break them in, but once you've broken them in they are so comfy, and the tread is perfect for frozen pavements. I've tried both the Made in England and Vietnamese ones, and whilst the leather is marginally better on the MIE ones the difference isn't that great (neither are what you'd call decent) and both have better insoles that the horrible cardboard ones you used to get in the 80's English ones.

eluther

Reaction score
@ManofKent – I picked up a pair of the MIE DMs after seeing yours all the time and was surprised by how absolutely atrocious the leather was. I can only assume it's corrected grain or "genuine leather" or something equally as untoward. But, even still, love them for thinking of my halcyon days as a punk kid.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ManofKent – I picked up a pair of the MIE DMs after seeing yours all the time and was surprised by how absolutely atrocious the leather was. I can only assume it's corrected grain or "genuine leather" or something equally as untoward. But, even still, love them for thinking of my halcyon days as a punk kid.

Yes corrected grain, that'll never really absorb conditioner and scuffs as easy as anything, but they're a design classic :)

My two winter 'uniforms' at university were, 1) DMs, army surplus combats, an Aran sweater over a denim shirt and a thrifted 3/4 length Crombie or 2) DMs, a fisherman's smock over a T-shirt and Levi's.

I've not really moved on - I found myself wearing a smock and Levi's the other day, and whilst these day's the combats would be Orslow and the Aran Sweater Inverallan I could pretty much replicate uniform 1 and feel quite happy wearing it (although I'm not sure about the thrifted Crombie that had probably absorbed a bit too much spilt beer and desperately needed dry-cleaning. The pony-tail probably won't make a comeback either :D

sepp

Reaction score
The difference between MIE and MIT DMs is about 60 percent in price over at South East Asia side.

Gotta agreed quality wise is not as good as the olden days; leather and sole are much thinner.

sepp

Reaction score
It has been a decade and more since I owned any suede footwear.

m18Tc1L.jpg[\IMG]

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MOK DMs are making me nostalgic.

Thinking of copping a pair....just like the old days at university.

I've been thinking the same thing for about a year now. :satisfied:

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I lived in them at university, stopped wearing them for about 15yrs, then re-discovered their joy. Yes the cheap leather will cut your feet whilst you break them in, but once you've broken them in they are so comfy, and the tread is perfect for frozen pavements. I've tried both the Made in England and Vietnamese ones, and whilst the leather is marginally better on the MIE ones the difference isn't that great (neither are what you'd call decent) and both have better insoles that the horrible cardboard ones you used to get in the 80's English ones.

Have you tried any Solovair? I really dislike my china docs, which, while ive worn them quite a bit, still is in the cutting face. It also seems that the footbed just has the wrong shape...

sepp

Reaction score

I've been thinking the same thing for about a year now. :satisfied:

A classic black with yellow side stitching will be good.

They were worn and beaten with jeans, chinos and hell, I have worn them with shorts before too. LOL!!!

Not too sure they have the lace ups with side zips or not. I have gotten rather lazy to tie laces (especially on boots) these days.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wanted to see @nicelynice in his lemaire coat :slayer: (saw it on insta)

also, amazing stuff flowcharts

its my bday today :D

yang li
muji
veilance
diemme

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ManofKent
 please post university fits

I'll have another dig through boxes sometime, but I'm not sure I have more photos of me in those days. It was 25yrs ago, pre-smartphones with cameras, pre-digital cameras, and a roll of film and processing cost the equivalent of about 5 pints of beer. Oddly I didn't take many photos and certainly didn't waste film on myself.

Have you tried any Solovair? I really dislike my china docs, which, while ive worn them quite a bit, still is in the cutting face. It also seems that the footbed just has the wrong shape...

I've handled but didn't end up buying. The 1460 clones are essentially identical to DM 1460's in last shape. They're probably put together with a little more care, and the leather might be a bit better, but they're still essentially work boots with corrected grain. They're a good price for the quality and as good as the DM MIE from what I could tell, but I'm not convinced the difference between any of them is that great.

@snowmanxl Excellent :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads