• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tar Heel

Reaction score
Twilight, The Flathead pink flannel and Raleigh Denim.
IMG_2211.jpeg

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of reaction you are going for with the hat - it is front and center, so let's not pretend it isn't a statement - but frankly I find it reprehensible.
Would you say the same thing if I was wearing a yarmulke?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. You don’t have to say much more than that. I feel sorry for you that you feel that way, but I also won’t engage. Peace and love to all.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of reaction you are going for with the hat - it is front and center, so let's not pretend it isn't a statement - but frankly I find it reprehensible.
Bruh.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Can we avoid conflating Jewish identity with a colonial settler apartheid state? It's not like he's wearing a "death to all Palestinians" cap and we're on a friendly fashion forum so let's not assume the worst about him and let's not have a primary antisemitic reaction.

Here's a quote from someone who wears a kippah everyday (Daniel Boyarin), no doubt as a provocation:

"On the stairs of my synagogue, in Berkeley, on Rosh Hashanah this year, I was told that I should be praying in a mosque, and versions of this, less crude perhaps, are being hurled at Jews daily by other Jews. I don't wish to romanticize my situation. It is not I who is suffering; my only personal pain is the pain of living on the margins, and that, too, has its privileges. More piercing to me is the pain of watching a tradition, my Judaism, to which I have dedicated my life, morally disintegrating before my eyes. It has been said by many Christians that Christianity died at Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Sobibor. I fear—G-d forbid— that my Judaism may be dying at Nablus, Daheishe, Beteen (Beth El), and al-Khalil (Hebron.) The violent actions taken in the name of defense may help some Jewish bodies survive (and even that only dubiously, temporarily, momentarily), but they threaten to empty Jewish existence of all meaning, to make hollow the resistance for two thousand years to being dissolved into the majority. If we are not for ourselves, other Jews say to me, who will be for us? And I answer, but if we are for ourselves alone, what are we?"

From the intro to this book:

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn that hat in multiple fits in the past, as well as another member whose name is escaping me at the moment. Wasnt an issue then, shouldnt be an issue now.

Also, a little backstory regarding the hat and what it represents.

History: The Hebrew Orphan Asylum was a philanthropic organization designed to care for Jewish orphans. The original building was on East 77th Street, but it was the ballfield at the later facility on Amsterdam Avenue and 136th Street that hosted occasional Negro league baseball games. The Asylum also featured their own baseball and basketball teams. In another curious baseball connection, the New York Yankees had originally planned to purchase the Asylum grounds to construct a new stadium in Manhattan, but ended up choosing the Bronx instead for Yankee Stadium when the land deal fell apart.

Rookoobay

Reaction score
yes, peace and love to all - 100%.

I overreacted. fwiw contextually I have many friends in the Jewish community (one of which took a bullet to save others in a very prominent US synagogue attack), have been to temple a few times this year in celebration, grew up in one of the densest Hasidic communities in the states, etc.

I will leave it at that. If I'm the only one who felt that way upon seeing that hat with no accompanying text, I'll certainly reflect on that.

thanks for that, @Fuuma

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads