• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Way They Wore: Images from the Past

St1X

Reaction score
From all these photos of the way the wore, I understood one thing - they wore it like ****. Most of the pics have really bad fit. And they said it was a golden age of menswear...

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From all these photos of the way the wore, I understood one thing - they wore it like ****. Most of the pics have really bad fit. And they said it was a golden age of menswear...
What is it that you don't like about the fits?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Today's theme is unstructured oversized shoulders, my favorite look

tumblr_95220b897412b0c13afedd64f4087abf_ebb28790_1280.jpeg
tumblr_oysl4n1mY91rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg
DtR9yBYVAAAKfwd.jpeg
tumblr_ltq8kfxZ6i1qa2j8co10_1280.png
tumblr_ltq8kfxZ6i1qa2j8co6_1280.jpeg
tumblr_o9143r4alN1rf1jvro1_1280.jpeg

Examples of how this style continues today.

tumblr_inline_p5uozaOnkP1qhaans_500-1.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 2.25.18 PM.png
005gxc.jpg
rulrgif7.jpg
tumblr_nppsa2Wm7c1qa2j8co1_640.jpeg

I was recently at an Anderson & Sheppard fitting. I was surprised to find their clothes fit very slim, clean, and short nowadays. I went into the fitting to get a coat fixed. My sport coat needed to have the chest let out for some extra drape and the front balance lengthened. My cutter didn't want to extend the shoulders, so I just went with his opinion. However, the overall sport coat lacked the roundness that I find so appealing in DDL's recent A&S stuff.

tumblr_p5odqrYTQF1qa2j8co3_r2_1280.jpeg

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These old vs. new pictures do make me pause to consider.

1. It's not just the robo-pose - it seems to me that the modern examples here are so much tighter and trimmer (despite the extended shoulder etc), so much so that the some of the folks wearing them look like they've had to breath in hard to button them (pretty typical of how SF bespoke was during the 'classic' phase of this site - I hate to imagine what happened when the owners gained any weight). I've almost never seen genuine drape in the classic old AS sense. Not even Steed does that - it's AS filtered through #menswear. They do not have anything like the drape of the older examples, which look to have a lot more room and be more far more comfortable.

2. I'm not sure I would call all of these of "unstructured" - they might not be Huntsman-style stiff military padding, but there are a variety of approraches to shoulder structure on display here from the American 'natural' (which is anything but) through hydrid 'continental' to some that are more Italian and genuinely less structured. But I don't see the "extended" and "unstructured" shoulder as synonomous, as in fact these examples show.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These old vs. new pictures do make me pause to consider.

1. It's not just the robo-pose - it seems to me that the modern examples here are so much tighter and trimmer (despite the extended shoulder etc), so much so that the some of the folks wearing them look like they've had to breath in hard to button them (pretty typical of how SF bespoke was during the 'classic' phase of this site - I hate to imagine what happened when the owners gained any weight). I've almost never seen genuine drape in the classic old AS sense. Not even Steed does that - it's AS filtered through #menswear. They do not have anything like the drape of the older examples, which look to have a lot more room and be more far more comfortable.

2. I'm not sure I would call all of these of "unstructured" - they might not be Huntsman-style stiff military padding, but there are a variety of approraches to shoulder structure on display here from the American 'natural' (which is anything but) through hydrid 'continental' to some that are more Italian and genuinely less structured. But I don't see the "extended" and "unstructured" shoulder as synonomous, as in fact these examples show.

Half my wardrobe is Steed. I can tell you that you don't need to breathe in to fasten the coats.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Half my wardrobe is Steed. I can tell you that you don't need to breathe in to fasten the coats.

Indeed. There is a lot of space at the buttoning point of a Steed jacket

Dadacantona

Reaction score
Some of the coats do appear to have a particularly nipped waist, but I wonder if that is visually exaggerated by the fullness and roundness in the chest.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Some of the coats do appear to have a particularly nipped waist, but I wonder if that is visually exaggerated by the fullness and roundness in the chest.

If anything I try to make sure I always have some extra room in the waist. My drop is fairly meaningful (11”) so if I went for a draped chest and very tight waist I would look insane

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score

I think this might be the case.

I am not that familiar with Steed cut and most of their jackets I saw were shoot from front, but what is contributing to the roominess in the buttoning point area is also the style of cut you can see from profile. E.g. here the waist is quite nipped as well, but the jacket is still very roomy at that area because its back is very straight:

Sartoria-Panico-suit-565x770.jpg
Panico-tailor-naples-570x770.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jean d'Ormesson, the man who loved knit ties

French writer d'Ormesson loved knit ties. So much so that he incorporated them in seemingly every outfit, making them a style signature. He wore them with suits

gettyimages-1356751989-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-543931960-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-954620612-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-967743364-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-160687342-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-954621694-2048x2048.jpeg

He wore them with sport coats, most often tweeds.

gettyimages-948311184-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-923287512-2048x2048.jpeg

He even wore them while petting dogs.

gettyimages-948121516-2048x2048.jpeg

Looking for new summer digs? D'Ormesson had some very cool summer suits ranging from tan to cream. I once commissioned a tan gabardine suit similar to the second photo. Should have gone for a heavier fabric, as gabardine is a very slippery material. I think my suit is 8/9oz cloth; thinking about doing a different gab suit in 11/12oz. When gab is too light, it doesn't drape well and the edges pucker easily.

gettyimages-110136743-2048x2048.jpeg
8. Jean d'Ormesson, Charlotte Rampling 1987.jpg.crdownload.jpg
jeandormesson2.jpeg

Nearly all of my suits have matte black or brown horn buttons, but lately, I've been thinking that many suits look more elegant with tonal buttons.

gettyimages-949881336-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-1298282034-2048x2048.jpeg

D'Ormesson was also a fan of single monks. I'm increasingly warming up to this style.

JEAN-DORMESSON-©-DIDIER-RAUX-10.jpeg
gettyimages-956662360-2048x2048.jpeg

D'Ormesson shows how you can dress down a tailored jacket with a black turtleneck. If you think black turtlenecks are a bit too cliche, you can also go for charcoal.

1599px-Jean_d'Ormesson_-_Prix_Clara_2015_(23725740801).jpeg

A very sad man on here once argued that suits should never be worn with loafers. D'Ormesson shows how this can, in fact, look quite elegant. At the last Anderson & Sheppard trunk show, I noticed one of the fitters was wearing a grey flannel suit with black tassel loafers, and similarly thought he looked good.

992full-jean-d'ormesson.jpeg
gettyimages-166529547-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-166529544-2048x2048.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was an exaggeration for effect, obviously –or apparently, not obviously– so I don't doubt what you say, but as this is a photographic inspiration thread, I was commenting on what the photographs look like, saying that the new pictures you provided don't look as comfortable and relaxed as the photographs of the original style(s) that they are supposedly following. This could, to some extent be an artifact of the kind of pictures they are, but it doesn't seem to be only that. The older pictures seem to show much fuller chests and not be so nipped. That sort of much narrower cut is very 2000s #menswear - but clearly at the better end, not the 6" leg-openings end. In general, I think we'd be better off sticking with the older examples, which look so much better.

I notice you had no comment on the issue of shoulder structure... is that because I am actually right on that one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics