• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Way They Wore: Images from the Past

'patanoster

Reaction score
Hardy Aimes had a very thin, stern-looking face that either complemented his conservative business dress outfits or counterbalanced some of the wilder stylistic choices he made during the 1970s. He's one of the few people I think looked good in a true three-button coat. I also like his statement glasses. Jacques Marie Mage recently released a model called the Domoto that looks vaguely similar.
Firstly, thanks for kickstarting a decent looking thread. I’ll come in with some favourite pics soon.

I recall seeing you post previously about your dislike for the true three — and in general I agree with the balance of them often being off. however I do also find myself drawn to them sometimes, they can have a sort of old school english charm (in a ‘70s prog rock star in his country club, kinda way). I’d be interested to hear who else you think looks good in them, and why?

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dig the 30's aesthetic of Brando's suit. I have a similarly cut RRL suit that looks like it was made in the 30's. This guy is wearing the same suit as mine however I don't have the vest.
50612b329e153e26b36c030aba67c29c.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recall seeing you post previously about your dislike for the true three — and in general I agree with the balance of them often being off. however I do also find myself drawn to them sometimes, they can have a sort of old school english charm (in a ‘70s prog rock star in his country club, kinda way). I’d be interested to hear who else you think looks good in them, and why?

Can't think of any examples I like except that photo. I know @Bromley is a fan. We had a spirited back and forth about it in another thread and I think we somewhat met in the middle, where a three-button coat looks better if it has at least a soft roll between a 3r2.5 and a true three.

The higher the break, the worse I think the silhouette looks. As you get closer to a 3 r 2.5, I think it can be OK.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ellsworth Bunker, who was U.S. ambassador to numerous countries from the '50s to the '60s, has always stood out to me as a rock-solid example of trad/Ivy.

OCBDs all day, every day.

View attachment 1765217

View attachment 1765222

This cotton suit is perfection.

View attachment 1765220

View attachment 1765218

View attachment 1765219

View attachment 1765221

View attachment 1765223

Met him when I was with the State Dept.
Not only trad/ivy, but from an extremely rich
old New York family. Dutch on his mother's side.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Do you guys know if americans prefered a 3roll2 in the 1930's, compared to the 3 of the brits? Seems that way if you watch old movies.

And I think the 3 shines with vests underneath. Just look at how massive it seems without one in the last picture.

Americans:
errol-flynn-2.jpg

Jakke2.png

Brits, both original pieces worn in modern times, and from the 1930's:
3.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

Attachments

• Jakke.png
    Jakke.png
    170 KB · Views: 15

emptym

Reaction score
There was a similar thread on vintage images. I posted some from a Jesuit retreat house that had pics of all attendees dating back to 1930, maybe earlier. Here's one from '38, with possibly a 3 or 3/2.5 button suit.
470.jpeg

Re. black knits, I only wear them with black shoes, mostly black penny loafers, like this:
IMG_5781.jpeg

Back in the 90s, when I had my dad's salt and pepper herringbone jacket, I'd wear it with a black knit tie, white ocbd, black wool flannels, and black ptbs.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Met him when I was with the State Dept.
Not only trad/ivy, but from an extremely rich
old New York family. Dutch on his mother's side.

Wow. It's very interesting that you met him. He was a State Dept. fixture for many decades, based on what I've read.

Bunker has a very Old Money appearance.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just watched a 1936 movie Dodsworth, on Amazon Prime. Superb wardrobe, much of which would look just as superb today. Walter Huston, David Niven, and Paul Lukas stand out.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a similar thread on vintage images. I posted some from a Jesuit retreat house that had pics of all attendees dating back to 1930, maybe earlier. Here's one from '38, with possibly a 3 or 3/2.5 button suit. View attachment 1765428
Re. black knits, I only wear them with black shoes, mostly black penny loafers, like this: View attachment 1765431
Back in the 90s, when I had my dad's salt and pepper herringbone jacket, I'd wear it with a black knit tie, white ocbd, black wool flannels, and black ptbs.
Wow. It's very interesting that you met him. He was a State Dept. fixture for many decades, based on what I've read.

Bunker has a very Old Money appearance.
I actually met him in the Dominican Rep. when he the US Ambassador to the OAS. He was not a Foreign
Service Officer, he held political appointments. For generations his family was in the Sugar trade. Hence,
a possible personal interest (and expertise) in the Caribbean.

Service

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads