• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Way They Wore: Images from the Past

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A black knit tie has a simple chic and classic look. They get an extra "pop" and look coordinated when paired with black shoes, black belt and black watchband.
I knew guys who worked and traveled in the 70's- 90's who felt that the black knit was their "one tie" for work, the club or travel. One older friend especially liked to wear them with pink shirts to make a less formal statement (club, travel) while sticking with a crisp white OCBD and charcoal grey suits for work.

There was a discussion in another thread recently about black knit ties. Why would someone own one, especially if they already have ties in other colors? Black as a color seems harsh, etc.

I think black knit ties give a stark elegance to suits and most sport coats. Since most tailored jackets are grey, blue, brown, or sometimes green, black complements all those colors. Knitted texture also looks fun and slightly casual (in the CM sense). Lots of great examples of black knit ties from the Golden Age of classic men's dress.

View attachment 1764411 View attachment 1764412 View attachment 1764413 View attachment 1764420 View attachment 1764421 View attachment 1764417 View attachment 1764419 View attachment 1764418 View attachment 1764409 View attachment 1764410 View attachment 1764416 View attachment 1764415

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not a photo about style, and not even really Golden Age. But an amusing illustration of two tailors arguing. Titled: "Quarrelsome Taylors [Tailors], or Two of a Trade Seldom Agree"

Originally published by Bowles & Carver, after Robert Dighton hand-coloured mezzotint, published January 1795

download (1).png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hardy Aimes had a very thin, stern-looking face that either complemented his conservative business dress outfits or counterbalanced some of the wilder stylistic choices he made during the 1970s. He's one of the few people I think looked good in a true three-button coat. I also like his statement glasses. Jacques Marie Mage recently released a model called the Domoto that looks vaguely similar.

download (2).png
download (5).png
download.png
download (6).png
download (4).png
download (8).png
download.png
download (7).png
download (4).png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black knit tie has a simple chic and classic look. They get an extra "pop" and look coordinated when paired with black shoes, black belt and black watchband.
I knew guys who worked and traveled in the 70's- 90's who felt that the black knit was their "one tie" for work, the club or travel. One older friend especially liked to wear them with pink shirts to make a less formal statement (club, travel) while sticking with a crisp white OCBD and charcoal grey suits for work.

I used to only wear knit ties before I was on this forum, and I was laughed at when I first started posting on CM for saying so. Fast forward and now everyone's saying you should really wear knit ties, and funnily enough now I rarely wear CM, the only ties ever wear are, once again, knit ties. The only difference for me is that I used to think black knits were not my taste, and now they are the first I will reach for. But I still have a burgundy, a dark green and a blue silk knit that I occasionally wear too.

This all means I have a lot of other ties I will never wear again. Any smaller gent out there wants a really nice collection of ties, you can message me and I'm quite happy to give them away for just the cost of postage and packing...

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should one only wear a black knit tie with black shoes? I rarely wear black shoes (mostly funerals) but I do like to wear my black knit when shod in black shoes. I often times would like to wear my black knit with brown shoes but I usually talk myself out of it despite seeing well put together men mixing the two with good results. What say all of you?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Should one only wear a black knit tie with black shoes? I rarely wear black shoes (mostly funerals) but I do like to wear my black knit when shod in black shoes. I often times would like to wear my black knit with brown shoes but I usually talk myself out of it despite seeing well put together men mixing the two with good results. What say all of you?

I think you can wear them with black or brown shoes. Although I do really like the following

1. Navy or grey worsted suit worn with a black kit tie, white shirt, and black oxfords. IMO, this looks very sober and elegant. Can also do a black grenadine.

2. Grey-green mohair suit with white shirt, black knit tie, and black tassel loafers. IMO, this is a great evening outfit for going to fancy restaurants or bars. Also keeps it from looking like you're wearing a business outfit.

3. Grey tweed jacket, white shirt, black knit tie, charcoal trousers, and black tassel loafers. Keeps it monochromatic and chic, but also vaguely Ivy.

4. Brown tweed, blue-and-white striped shirt, grey or tan trousers, and non-oxfords in black or brown. Prob the "safest" combo and again very Ivy.

tumblr_nb6r5drFCT1qa2j8co7_r1_1280.jpeg

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done #1 before with a darker grey cotton suit but with black single monks . I agree it looks
elegant though conservative which is good.

#2 I've also done but with a green cotton suit but sans the tassel loafers, I abhor tassel loafers.

I only have one tweed jacket which I rarely wear due to the limited number colder days here in Texas where I live.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lorin Maazel, 1988. Love this color for a suit. Mushroom brown cotton suit with machine-picked lapels, two-button cuff, and a full collar roll. Zegna's Winter Cottons book has a similar color, and the cotton fabric is much softer than Brisbane or Drapers cotton.

FNLm8NgVcAEnBPO.jpeg

Also Lorin Maazel on Charlie Rose. I think this outfit would have worked better as a suit. Maazel wore the tan sport coat with grey trousers and a grey turtleneck.

1HY6GOX_258_lt.jpeg

TimothyF

Reaction score
I used to only wear knit ties before I was on this forum, and I was laughed at when I first started posting on CM for saying so. Fast forward and now everyone's saying you should really wear knit ties, and funnily enough now I rarely wear CM, the only ties ever wear are, once again, knit ties. The only difference for me is that I used to think black knits were not my taste, and now they are the first I will reach for. But I still have a burgundy, a dark green and a blue silk knit that I occasionally wear too.

This all means I have a lot of other ties I will never wear again. Any smaller gent out there wants a really nice collection of ties, you can message me and I'm quite happy to give them away for just the cost of postage and packing...

I'll bite. Your PM seems to be turned off? Let me know how best to reach you; thanks

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a black silk knit tie looks best with black shoes, but I have always skewed towards a more coordinated look with colors.

I've always liked the look of a black knit tie with black penny loafers or black double monks.

Should one only wear a black knit tie with black shoes? What say all of you?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you were just late to the party as many of the CM crew in the 2006-2010 era often posted about their silk knits, especially with the white or colored dots. I remember a post by Matt where he is sitting in a boring meeting, daydreaming and wondering about the details of hand sewing dots on his silk knit ties.

I used to only wear knit ties before I was on this forum, and I was laughed at when I first started posting on CM for saying so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads