• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIMatt

Reaction score

Rolex Oysterdate, ref 6694. Made around 1970, so it's roughly as old as I am.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your Reverso.

Brilliant tease....now let's see some more pics, and obviously ... the front side!

It's always great to catch the one that (almost) got away.

Thanks! I absolutely love it. Here is the other side:

Again, a poor picture, but you can at least see the reference it is now.
smile.gif

Really a great looking piece if I do say so myself. I'll never change the strap and I love the brown as it can worn more casually. The "fauxtina" doesn't look faux to me and looks quite rich. As some of you may remember, I'm not used to a smaller watch like this as my VSAs were all 44mm, but I am used to this already. I've read that many consider the Reverso a dressier watch, though I consider it a sport watch as well and I think it will go great with my wardrobe as I don't have to get too dressy and have some more "heritage" styled pieces (a LOT of Cabourn for example).

Also, I'd like to take a moment and thank everyone for all their input on the Reverso as well as for answering my questions when I have them. I'm still learning, but I feel like I've learned so much in the past month or two. As regards the Reverso, I passed on this a couple of weeks back as I had a quick change of heart and though I preferred the sword hands on the standard 1931 tribute, but I quickly changed my mind back to my gut take which was indeed this syringe hand. Glad I did and luck I found one. Crazy thing though, ANOTHER ONE came up just on Tuesday. Thought about grabbing that one as well considering the limited edition nature of this watch, but decided my money would be better spent on something different.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. The wear pictures on the Rolex and AP made me check my 25+ YO TAG Heuer. I had never noticed it before, but the back of the clasp hasn't just scratched the links - it has worn a deep groove! In another 25 or more years, it might even wear through.
I have seen that happen on a few older steel bracelets that were daily wearers for very long periods. However, its more common to see the groove you speak of on old gold bracelet links. The Explorer 2 that I posted above is from 2001, was a daily wearer for many years, and its probably my nicest watch that occasionally sees a bit of rougher treatment, and there is still no sign of a groove starting on its bracelet links.

Thanks! I absolutely love it. Here is the other side:

Congrats on a making a great choice! The Reverso are definitely my favorite JLC !!! Although, in the States its commonly thought of as a dress watch, its origins are as a sports watch and its versatile enough to truly be both a dress watch and sports watch. I'm sure this Reverso will bring you many years of enjoyment! Cheers!
cheers.gif

Novelty77

Reaction score

TGIF guys!

I need your input on this for my X'mas gift to myself. hehehe..

Oris 65 or the Black Bay Black.

I want something that I don't have to pay much care and attention to. Something I wouldn't think twice abt entering the water with.

That's why I remove the Rolex submariner out of the picture;price. Where can I buy the oris from? I intend to view it over the weekend. What draws me to the 65 is that its it own icon. Not inspired by the submariner we see a lot these day; tudors.

I really like the black bay black. but I feel I would just take extra care if i'm wearing the watch. The Oris, u could say that its a daily beater watch, you can wear the watch care free without the voice at the back of your head telling you to be careful.

So guys please help!

Dachshund

Reaction score

I have seen that happen on a few older steel bracelets that were daily wearers for very long periods.  However, its more common to see the groove you speak of on old gold bracelet links.  The Explorer 2 that I posted above is from 2001, was a daily wearer for many years, and its probably my nicest watch that occasionally sees a bit of rougher treatment, and there is still no sign of a groove starting on its bracelet links. 

Congrats on a making a great choice!  The Reverso are definitely my favorite JLC !!!  Although, in the States its commonly thought of as a dress watch, its origins are as a sports watch and its versatile enough to truly be both a dress watch and sports watch.  I'm sure this Reverso will bring you many years of enjoyment!  Cheers!:cheers:  

I bought my Reverso (a steel GT) on a brown strap. In that guise it was kind of sporty in a 40s preppy way. By the time that strap wore out I had added a sportier model to my collection - the Ex2 - so I put the JLC on a black strap and now I almost exclusively wear it with a suit. So I think you can dress it up or down to a certain extent.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BLAUGRANA Nice pick up … :nodding:

@Novelty77 FFS give it a rest.

Last edited:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Cartier Pasha Seatimer that needs to go in for service - it's gaining significant time (~10 min in the past hour and a half). Is it better to ship it to a Cartier boutique (none are a reasonable distance) or drop it at a local AD? I didn't purchase from a local AD and have no relationship with any, further, it is out of warranty so I'm paying. My thought is that an AD is just a middleman and would bump up the service cost (or not send it to Cartier and try to do it in-house). Thoughts?

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nonsense my friend. A Rolex Sub is an amazing watch and the ultimate beater (if you want it to be). With your collection I would accept no less :nodding:
TGIF guys! I need your input on this for my X'mas gift to myself. hehehe.. Oris 65 or the Black Bay Black. I want something that I don't have to pay much care and attention to. Something I wouldn't think twice abt entering the water with. That's why I remove the Rolex submariner out of the picture;price. Where can I buy the oris from? I intend to view it over the weekend. What draws me to the 65 is that its it own icon. Not inspired by the submariner we see a lot these day; tudors. I really like the black bay black. but I feel I would just take extra care if i'm wearing the watch. The Oris, u could say that its a daily beater watch, you can wear the watch care free without the voice at the back of your head telling you to be careful. So guys please help!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Cartier Pasha Seatimer that needs to go in for service - it's gaining significant time (~10 min in the past hour and a half). Is it better to ship it to a Cartier boutique (none are a reasonable distance) or drop it at a local AD? I didn't purchase from a local AD and have no relationship with any, further, it is out of warranty so I'm paying. My thought is that an AD is just a middleman and would bump up the service cost (or not send it to Cartier and try to do it in-house). Thoughts?
Just send it directly to Cartier. There is no reason to get an AD involved as there is nothing they will specifically do to improve your service from Cartier. They are merely a middleman who will charge you a shipping fee. Cartier's turn around time for servicing time only watches is pretty good. We just had my wife's large/automatic Tank Francaise overhauled and it was back to us in under a month. Obviously turn around time varies by how busy they are and how complicated the repair/service is. Good luck!

P.S. Call their customer service 1(800) CARTIER ...for shipping instructions to send it to their service center. Don't just send it to a local Cartier Boutique, as that will slow the process because they will then mail it to the service center.

Last edited:

onehotchili

Reaction score

Good choice! Here's mine today - c 1974 and likewise, my age.

I am digging the birth year watches.... Here is my 1970 5513 Sub.... Still on a NATO strap that I was rocking all Summer. Since we finally have some snow in Tahoe, I guess winter is here.... Time to switch it up to some vintage leather straps :).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nonsense my friend. A Rolex Sub is an amazing watch and the ultimate beater (if you want it to be). With your collection I would accept no less
nod[1].gif
+1 its a tool watch intended for diving. Not sure why Novelty 77 would have as he said second thoughts about wearing it in the water. I've worn my Explorer 2 in the water lots of times.

TGIF guys!

I need your input on this for my X'mas gift to myself. hehehe..

Oris 65 or the Black Bay Black.

I want something that I don't have to pay much care and attention to. Something I wouldn't think twice abt entering the water with.

That's why I remove the Rolex submariner out of the picture;price. Where can I buy the oris from? I intend to view it over the weekend. What draws me to the 65 is that its it own icon. Not inspired by the submariner we see a lot these day; tudors.

I really like the black bay black. but I feel I would just take extra care if i'm wearing the watch. The Oris, u could say that its a daily beater watch, you can wear the watch care free without the voice at the back of your head telling you to be careful.

So guys please help!
Sorry, but neither the Oris nor the Black Bay. Oris is good watch, however, making a reissue of a watch they made years ago doesn't make it iconic. Personally, it doesn't do anything for me at all.

As for the Black Bay, overall its nice, but its more money than what I would put into one. Its nice but it just doesn't put a smile on my face. If I were going to purchase a Tudor, I'd rather have a vintage snow flake model or lollipop hand Tudor Sub.

If you want an relatively inexpensive watch to wear in the water go for a Seiko diving watch. If I were going to purchase a nicer dive watch...I'd go for a Sub.

Last edited:

Novelty77

Reaction score
Nonsense my friend. A Rolex Sub is an amazing watch and the ultimate beater (if you want it to be). With your collection I would accept no less
nod[1].gif
+1 its a tool watch intended for diving. Not sure why Novelty 77 would have as he said second thoughts about wearing it in the water. I've worn my Explorer 2 in the water lots of times.

If you want an relatively inexpensive watch to wear in the water go for a Seiko diving watch. If I were going to purchase a nicer dive watch...I'd go for a Sub.

Sad to say, in my area, the sub is worn more of a status symbol rather than a tool watch. Seiko was in my list as well. Was drawn to the Oris as it was voted best divers watch of the year 2015. :) I'll have second thoughts anytime entering the water if my watch cost more than 5 grand. The black bay cost twice as much as the Oris while the sub(ceramic no date) cost twice as much as the black bay . Hahaha.. i guess i'll take my time... thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads