• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice read. Quite touching! Good example of a watch being far more than just a time-keeper.

Some folks would not want that dial restored, and I get it..... but I do think the result is pretty sweet. Great pics of the "after".

And I suppose his wife really did have a point, didn't she? That seemed convincing in this case....very personal decisions when it comes to such things.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting read - I quite like the part where he compares idolizing patina on a dial to the idea of encouraging rust to form around the wheel wells of a vintage car. Never thought about it this way (we're all drawn to the idea of patina, identity, personal history, battle scars, etc.) but put like this, it's reasonable.

The only thing I ask myself is if the dial, in all it's newfound glory, is the original or a replacement/NOS piece. It's in so like-new condition!

The man sure did have an interesting life, no one can say otherwise!

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may differ on the patina-love front. I prefer things to look as pristine as possible as a rule (with the exception of some footwear). Probably why I'm a fan of brushed surfaces. But if something on my watch gets old and worn, I won't hesitate to recondition or replace it (as long as the part is OEM).

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fascinating story.

velomatt

Reaction score
Ok, so forgive the noob question.

Once I have decided on a watch. Let's say, for discussion purposes, it is one of the following.

Speedmaster Professional (just the original)
JLC Reverso
Rolex Explorer
IWC Portfino

How do I go about getting the secret handshake to buy a watch at a price well below retail, while still getting the papers and eligibility for a warranty?

Many thanks.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Once I have decided on a watch. Let's say, for discussion purposes, it is one of the following.

JLC Reverso
Rolex Explorer
IWC Portfino

How do I go about getting the secret handshake to buy a watch at a price well below retail, while still getting the papers and eligibility for a warranty?

Many thanks.

Just negotiate (assuming you go the AD avenue). Different brands/watches will dictate how much room there is to negotiate. You could also do a bit of googling and check out grey market prices to give you an idea of the types of discounts to expect on different watches.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah, you really just have to ask. And it helps to show some understanding of what the gray market value is for those pieces.

From your list, the Explorer would be the tough one. I'd say on the others, you could open with a number and push for, say ....25% (?), and then decide if you are willing to settle for something less than that.

Something like this type of approach:

"Well, Mr. AD, I have to say that I'm very interested in this model. I'm willing to pull the trigger today. And I like the idea of purchasing direct from you and your establishment.

But looking around the marketplace, I see that it's not unusual get a discount of XX% on this brand, and I'd rather not have to go gray, or go out-of-state to avoid taxes, etc....so what can you do for me on this watch?"

This is best in person of course, but I've even done it over the phone. Develop a little rapport if you can. Demonstrate some knowledge, but without being a jerk to the salesperson.

Just get the dialogue started, and see if they will work with you or not. Most of them are. (Not all, but most). Sometimes just using the term "gray market" is enough in itself to let somebody know that you're not just falling off the turnip truck.

Other than that, just be willing to look elsewhere and/or walk if needed. The models you've listed aren't special editions or "rare". (Not a slam btw, those are all pretty much classics). And remember the sales guy has to make a bit of a margin, too....so don't squeeze the life out of it. Both parties should be happy at the end of the day.

It's just haggling (!) and I know that not everyone is comfortable with it-- but definitely, this stuff happens in the watch and jewelry biz all the time. Every single day.

There is no secret handshake.

Good luck.

Edit: my grammar sucks more than usual today.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLC Reverso
Rolex Explorer
IWC Portfino

Many thanks.
I agree with what other posters have stated. I will just add, that its crucial to do your homework well in advance of showing up at an AD, so that you know what you are interested in, and what might be a reasonable discount. As others stated it varies from brand to brand.

Most authorized dealers are not discounting steel Rolex watches. So if that's the watch you want, be prepared to pay MSRP or pretty close to it.

I have negotiated deals on the phone, but usually with people I've done business with in the past. Most deals I did in person. I think one generally does better dealing with an AD in person, as they believe you are more serious if you are there, they don't want to lose a potential sale, and you are less likely to be someone from a watch company checking on deep discounts. Purchase the watch you really want, don't get talked into a model you didn't want just because they offer a better discount on it (substitutes rarely satisfy the desire for the watch you truly wanted). Try working with smaller stores rather than big chain stores. Smaller stores seemed to be more willing, able, and perhaps needed to discount some merchandise to make sales. Big stores chain stores tend to discount less, if at all, citing all sorts of store policies & watch company policies about not discounting. Have fun and good luck!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Good point about the smaller ADs and definitely true in my experience.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
New thread name. I don't own a watch from any of those brands currently. Ha.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
That's okay. You're big on "et cetera" :)

(I've only got 2 of those 4 brands covered myself LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics