• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks man.

As for PCLs, I baby my watches hehehe.. When I had my SS Daytona for almost a year, I only had some very light desk diving marks on the clasp.

BLNR has almost zero hairlines as I got some experience with previous PCL and don't rest my left wrist on the desk LOL. I think I will get over it, when I had my Pams the bezel was a scratch magnet.

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're the same as me. The AD and my friends constantly comment on my watches looking brand new after months/years. #teamocd

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega just doesn't get it. Just have Bond wear their watch and it will become a classic. Limited editions are probably reducing sales.

I'm pretty sure Bond wears the standard watches in the movie and then Omega makes a special one. The blue AT he wore in skyfall didn't say anything about bond on it, but it sold a ton based on being in the movie

Yes you are correct. I guess the limited editions must sell though.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to admit some confusion about why a bit of red text would make a Sub so desirable, would I be run out of TWAT with a pitchfork?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God help me if I could get my hands on a mitsukoshi dial speedy.

Omega definitely make great watches and know how to market them to a pretty loyal fan base.

Personally the new ones (ceramic Speedmaster aside) don't do it for me in person due to their size, but they are great quality.

I like a lot of the last and previous generation models though. And the ceramic Speedy models.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
]
If I were to admit some confusion about why a bit of red text would make a Sub so desirable, would I be run out of TWAT with a pitchfork?

pmeis

Reaction score
I stopped at Topper Jewerly when I was in SF for work last week. They had just gotten a used Radiomir 380 in and the price was very good so I kind of impulse bought it as a way to try out the "Panerai Lifestyle" ;)

I think it's a bigger than I'd like, but maybe that just means I need a 512 instead.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier the 512 is likely next on my list but I think the 380 looks pretty good on you. I think you can't go wrong either way.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks man.

As for PCLs, I baby my watches hehehe.. When I had my SS Daytona for almost a year, I only had some very light desk diving marks on the clasp.

BLNR has almost zero hairlines as I got some experience with previous PCL and don't rest my left wrist on the desk LOL. I think I will get over it, when I had my Pams the bezel was a scratch magnet.

You're the same as me. The AD and my friends constantly comment on my watches looking brand new after months/years. #teamocd

Guys, watches are made to wear. It is the memories you build wearing those watches. The other day, my two year old boy must have taken my newly acquired explorer out of a drawer and played with it. I was not home and got back to find my watch on the stair case to the second floor!! I was obviously little surprised, I'm glad he didn't throw it somewhere, that would have been a bad memory.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So was looking for a new strap for my Speedy and I blame - I mean THANK @RogerP for his great referral. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original black OEM strap, with it's curved/integrated shape at the lugs. Made the watch seem bulkier than it already is. The new strap is straight across at the lugs, and it shows off the gorgeous and classic Speedy case more. I'm loving the brown strap/black face combo and went with an extra OEM Omega buckle so I wouldn't have to switch out the deployant from the original strap .

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When one considers vintage watches, particular vintage Rolex watches...its often the small details that make the watch very desirable to collectors. For example on 16520 Daytonas ...things such as spacing of the word "Cosmograph" on an early model, whether the 6 on the subdial is inverted or not, how many hatch marks are on the subdials, does the Tachymeter go to 200, 300 or 400 units per hour. The font of the word Rolex... these are all small details that die hard collectors pay attention to and pay additional money to own. Whether its worth it to have something a bit rarer is something each collector has to answer for himself.

But more specifically as to why the Red Sub is so desireable...the simple answer....its a damn good looking watch.

Guys, watches are made to wear.
A watch doesn't have to get scratched and dinged in the course of wearing it, for it to be enjoyed. I wear all of my watches regularly, but I'm just pretty good when it comes to avoiding scratches and dings. If for you it helps forge memories or a bond with the watch, that's great. For me, I can wear it, enjoy it, and have memories of wearing it on vacations, to important events, or just for fun and the lack of scratches doesn't detract from my memories of the events or the enjoyment of my watches. Cheers!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So was looking for a new strap for my Speedy and I blame - I mean THANK @RogerP for his great referral. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original black OEM strap, with it's curved/integrated shape at the lugs. Made the watch seem bulkier than it already is.

The new strap is straight across at the lugs, and it shows off the gorgeous and classic Speedy case more. I'm loving the brown strap/black face combo and went with an extra OEM Omega buckle so I wouldn't have to switch out the deployant from the original strap .

Absolutely love the dark brown strap paired with the black dial !!! Well done my friend!
cheers.gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A watch doesn't have to get scratched and dinged in the course of wearing it, for it to be enjoyed.  I wear all of my watches regularly, but I'm just pretty good when it comes to avoiding scratches and dings.  If for you it helps forge memories or a bond with the watch, that's great.  For me, I can wear it, enjoy it, and have memories of wearing it on vacations, to important events, or just for fun and the lack of scratches doesn't detract from my memories of the events or the enjoyment of my watches.  Cheers!  

+1

I wear my watches just about anywhere and everywhere. But I'm careful with them. Always have been. Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying life or life experiences. But like Dino, I'm good at avoiding scratches and dings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads