• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy Birthday and Congrats!  Looks great on you.  Hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!  :cheers:

Thank you for the kind words and for the invaluable feedback you provided when I was still searching.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it have a rotating bezel like the new style? Don't like those :-(

Also, won't solve the waterproofing issue. If I go vintage, it'll be a 1016.
The Explorer II has a fixed bezel, it does not rotate on any version (new or old).

In addition, if you guys mean the old 1655...then yes you would still have the water resistance issue that comes with vintage watches.

Dachshund

Reaction score
Correct - bezel is fixed. Also agree, I would never let vintage near water. The new Ex II has no trouble with water at all, but you may find it a little large. Give it a go though. It might sneak up on you.

Winot

Reaction score
Ah, thanks guys. I'll give the new Explorer ii a go, although I thinks it's the look of the bezel rather than rotation that's the issue.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a two liner?
shog[1].gif
It doesn't have the additional text on the dial saying "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified."

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[...] My shortlist; most not yet seen:

1. Rolex Explorer I ref. 1016 - love this - only downside is lack of water resistance. Might be a killer as I want this for swimming holidays (edit to add - and I have tried on the new Explorer I but don't like the shiny applied 3/6/9 numbers).[...]

There's no lack of water resistance in the 1016 unless you're planning on going diving well past any recreational depth recommendation; they're extremely well-designed and all the bits that keep water out are still in production. As long as the crystal and O-rings are in proper condition and there's no pitting in the seal area, it's as good as a new watch. The age of the steel is irrelevant.

I was swimming in the sea with a plexi GMT from the '70s earlier tonight, in fact. I don't wear it any differently than my modern ones, as there's truly no need to.

Edit: If you don't like polished applied numerals and appreciate a normal-sized wristwatch that isn't too busy, then it might also be worth having a look at the some of the stick-dial 116000 variants for your brushed-steel-bracelet fix. The simple OP just goes with everything — I'm choosing it (and its Oysterquartz cousin) at least as often as the sportier stuff.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had lunch with a watch collector friend yesterday, tried on his 5196g. Unfortunately it fit me very well :uhoh: And he might be looking to sell.

I have heard a few arguments against this Calatrava (small movement in larger case etc), but on my hand it was pure magic. It does not fill an empty spot in my collection, nor satisfy any other rationalization. It was just very, very nice :)

Absolutely gorgeous. And you have the chance to buy a great PP pre-owned from somebody you trust...

@mimo, a little enabling please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads